View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Carolina Bound! Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

Early tomorrow, Marcia, Boomer (Airedale) and I will head for NC with Valkyrie in tow! We'll stop at Mobile East for Gene to do some routine maintenance and then splash the boat in Oriental. Then it's points south with our final destination of Beaufort, SC where Marcia's folks live. I'll then (GROAN) take a Greyhound back to Mobile East to get the tow rig and head for home a few days after that.

Our plans are not to have any and just mosey south and spend time where it feels right along the 400 mile trip. I've done the ICW before, but Marcia hasn't and I'm eager to share it with her. We hope to spend a days in Topsail (great beach town), Georgetown and Charleston (great historic towns).

The weather is changing for the better with temps in the 70's and 80's forecast at this time. We've also made arrangements to visit a few C-Brats along the route. I plan on posting some pics along the way and hope the new camera cooperates with the 'puter and the internet!

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan! We'll be looking forward to some photos and essay about the trip, Nick. Have a great time.

Best wishes,
Jim & Joan

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, we made that trip from Oriental to Beaufort last summer/fall when we were at the NC gathering. It's a nice trip through that canal! Hope you and Marsha and the pup have a great time! Keep us posted.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick sounds like a great plan. I'm partial to the Topsail area having been raised there. You probably know but just before you get to the Surf City Bridge to your port is the Beach House Marina. Great place to spend a couple days only three blocks to a beautiful beach and plenty of resturants and a grocery store. Ocean fishing pier also. Little Topail Inlet is pretty much a must see also. Have a great trip.
DoryLvr

City/Region: Cape Charles
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Litl' Tug
Photos: Litl' Tug
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you could join us in Elizabeth City, NC during the Carolina Loop trip in two weeks.

"The art of seamanship is never allowing yourself to get in a situation where you have to know anything about the subject."
slapshot

City/Region: Southport
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C's Slap Shot
Photos: C's Slap Shot
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Carolina! Reply with quote

We were delighted to meet Nick, Marcia & Boomer today in Southport. Hopefully the weather stays nice for the rest of your trip! It was especially nice to have another C-Dory in the marina!

Jack & Julie

Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

Jack and Julie: we enjoyed our visit, as well, and look forward to seeing how you modify your 25 to "make it yours".

Marvin: we did stay at Beach House Marina for two nights and, once again, enjoyed walking the beach at Surf City and some fresh seafood.

We are in full, relaxed cruise mode right now, which means that I have actually gone 24 hours without turning on the PC! I just wrote up the last three days to post on this thread (TWICE!) only to have it disappear into cyberspace when I was on the last paragraph. ARRGH!

Anyhow, we have a 60+ mile day tomorrow and I will try to do an update when we drop the hook.

Regards,

Nick, Marcia and Boomer
"Valkyrie"
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh seafood eh? Must be Marcia was fishing. Smile
Have a great time and hope the weather continues.

Mark

Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Just for the record I got the wahoo -- at the fish market across from the marina! We just got into SC and will buy licenses tomorrow and fish around the Beaufort area once we get there.

We are really enjoying ourselves and the scenery is fantastic, everything from salt marshes, forests, great views of homes, upscale to working marinas, beautiful inlets, old revolutionary towns, working boats and the parade of cruisers heading north after a winter of hiding out in the sun and warmth of FL and the Bahamas.

Our days have been relatively short, with runs from 40 to 70 miles. We like to get in early and have time to wander the area and enjoy the small-town American atmosphere. Right now we are at Osprey Marina north of Georgetown, SC. This a great marina with dockage at $1 a foot, the cheapest gas we've seen so far ($4.0Cool and they gave every cruiser a goody bag with a pound of cheese, crackers, cinnamon buns, can coolers, key floats and more. We were at our dock and they came down to our dock with snacks for Boomer, apologizing for not giving them to us when we checked in!

Will continue--

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued--

From previous post- gas is $4.08 at this marina.

Things that work category: There have been a number of posts dealing with the removal of foam from the v-berth and the addition of access hatches. From our experiences on this cruise - do it if you haven't done so!

Last month I spent one day making the mods. The foam came out easily and I added three 10x20" hatches from Defender. I sanded the inside of the hull and painted it with epoxy garage floor paint. In the bow I put a rubber "anti-fatigue" mat and placed my second anchor, chain and rode on that. Twelve packs of pop and beer go all the way aft and cannned goods go on the floor against the "well" created by the area between the berths. This keeps weight forward and low in the boat.

The size of the hatches allows us to stuff in duffles with our clothes. This prevents the "duffle shuffle" every night and morning. Each night before we go to bed we take out what clothes we'll need for the next day and put them in our v-berth storage hammocks. I wish we had done this years ago.

Will continue,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

We're in Charleston right now, at the City Marina, which has a MegaDock that sems at least a quarter mile long. That is where they dock the BIG BOYS, with some look to be 200 plus feet long. They cater to the gold-platers here and don't even sell gas! However, we had reservations and they found us a nice 30 foot dock and treated us like royalty, but seemed a bit surprised when we didn't want to hook up our cable TV!

Before that we stayed in Georgetown, a delightful, old town where we saw some homes dating back to 1730. Got some fresh flounder and shrimp there, too. Great grill fare!

Last night we walked to the Battery, across from Fort Sumter, and enjoyed the cool evening air, especially Boomer. Today we'll head south again and will probably stay on Edisto Island before reaching Marcia's folks on Saturday. Hopefully, we 'll have fresh fish by then.

Observations: When I last ran the ICW in the 80's I was on my Jeanneau Tonic sailboat, powered by a Honda 8. I typically powered at 5.9 knots and got from 4-5 mpg. Now we are running at 4200 rpm or so, and getting close to the same mileage, with speeds varying from 12.5 to 15 knots, depending on how much the tide/current is helping us. Some days we'll run for an hour or so at hull speed, just to enjoy what is around us better.

On Spirit I usually covered 50 miles per day (LONG DAY) and got to my destination pretty tired. Now we're running from 40 to 65 miles per day, getting there early and refreshed and have time to see the local sights.

We are really enjoying the grill that we got last year and use it daily. We especially like having a relaxing lunch on the hook and will kick back for an hour and watch the parade of boats going north. Also, the fact that it has been sunny with temps in the 70's and 80's helps a lot

Our little C-Dory continues to garner attention wherever we go and I have handed out all of the Triton Marine mini brochures. We have only seen one other CD, which was on a lift just south of Hampstead, NC, but we couldn't see a name due to the way the lift was made. One sailboat hailed us to see if I was "Mike", no last name, and at the Osprey Marina we were told that another CD went through the previous week.

Oh well, it looks like the coffee is done and I have to cook the grits with bacon and cheddar to breakfast. Marcia is from SC and we are in the south you know.

Valkyrie standing by 16. (Pretty hokey. Sorry.)

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I looked at your photos but did not see the grill you mentioned. What kind of grill is it? Where did you mount it?

Have fun.

Rob
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Our grill is a standard size round Magma and we use the mount that slides into a 30 degree angle gunwale-mount rod holder. There are a myriad of options for mounting grills.

We actually saw another C-Dory on the ICW today. We were anchored in a small creek south of Charleston for lunch and saw a 25 with blue trim leave the ICW and head our way. We thought that they saw us and were coming over to say "Hi" (because that was what we would do), but they gave us a wave and anchored a ways down the creek. I tried hailing them (no name on the boat), but they never responded. They must not be C-Brats, but it was nice seeing another CD on the water.

Another great day on the water with light winds, sun and temps in the 80's.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Sounds like you're enjoying your time on the water. Got some photos for us?

Best wishes,
Jim
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

One last grill question for you. Are you able to keep the grill mounted in the rod holder while running the boat? Or do you have to remove and stow it somewhere? Thanks.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: