The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The Best Marine Head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_BDA

City/Region: Bermuda
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Luna-Sea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: The Best Marine Head Reply with quote

So, I have been getting a lot of suggestions from folks regarding removing my flushing marine toilet on my boat. Personally I don't like having thru-hull fittings and seacocks but have had them on other (larger) boats with no issues.

My question is IF I remove it, what to replace it with? I was interested in the Dometic but it has TERRIBLE reviews on West Marine.....

What is the best marine head out there for our application?

Thanks!
Peter

SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an airhead composting toilet installed over the winter and I'm very happy with it. Based on our usage I don't expect to remove the solids until next fall when I lay the boat up. It's a clean simple design. The guy who sells/invented them actually takes calls and answers questions, there's no need for holes in the boat, and it works exactly as advertised.

I highly recommend this and I've dealt with all kinds of marine toilets from portipoty to vacuflush. no more need for pump outs!

www.GetAweigh.com
email: TheMarcums@GetAweigh.COM
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tom Cat has the SeaLand 711 M28 Marine Sanitation System. The only disadvantage is that it has only a 9 gallon holding tank. If used properly this will last quite some time--and can then be pumped into the ocean offshore or a pump out facility.

You have to separate the urine from solids on the "Composting" heads, and that seems like an issue--you might as well use a urinal and dump it overboard--because that is what you are doing. Is that legal in "no discahrge" areas?--

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you first need to find out what the discharge regulations are in your boating area. I know the people in Florida are concerned about protecting coral, so there are regulations about anchoring in coral. Same with boat discharges. There are lakes in the east (Champlain?) where it is illegal to even have a system that is capable of discharging overboard -- i.e., locking the Y-valve is not sufficient. Once you have that information in hand you can investigate possible solutions. Also consider who will provide service and what product lines they sell.

My $0.02, FWIW.
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
SouthLake

City/Region: Celina
State or Province: OH
Photos: Get~Aweigh
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the Sealand M28 marine toilet in my CD25. I did not have a Y valve with overboard discharge as that would be illegal in inland lakes and rivers.

So a pump out is the only way to dump the tank and not all lakes have pump out stations. The lake we keep our boat on does but frankly for a 9 gallon tank to me it was more of an annoyance.

The airhead does separate urine from solids. The solids tank contains peat and a crank is used to mix the solids in after each use. It then composts. No real fuss. We don't expect to have to dispose of the solids until end of season. The tank that holds urine is fairly large, and is translucent enough that you can see the level. I don't intend to ever dump it overboard although I believe that's not illegal. The tank removes easily, has a cap to screw on so you can then carry it to a restroom, etc.

The Airhead was an easy replacement for the Sealand marine toilet. The incoming water line was removed, the pump-out sealed, and because I had no thruhull for and overboard discharge, there was nothing to do there.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Bermuda Cruising site:

"All yachts should be fitted with either holding tanks (to contain sewage for discharge in waters outside the outer reef edge) or have approved marine sanitation devices aboard. However, wherever possible, onshore sanitation facilities should be utilized. The discharge overboard of sewage, or any other pollutant within the 12 mile Bermuda Territorial Limit, is an offence.

Having cruised to Bermuda in my own boat in the past--there were pump out stations available.

I wonder if an Air Head at 19" will fit connivently in the space between the V bunks--as well as being higher than a porta potty or conventional head and what the head room will be for the person using the unit. One of the nice things about the porta potty is being able to remove it during the night for use, without disturbing the other V berth occupant.

I'll have to admit I am not a big fan of any form of taking sewage on my boat in any form....
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ThatAway, that is too funny. There is currently no discharge facility in Bermuda that I am aware of. When I had a 32' Tiara I wanted to pump out the tank during my first season and couldn't find anywhere (and I'd would have found it). I ended up going off shore (which is almost everywhere).

"Pumping Out" is not something that is encouraged or enforced here unfortunately. I spoke to a marina operator about putting in a facility and he said it would be a waste of money.

Most boats here discharge directly overboard........which is a shame.

Peter
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just priced an Air Head...I need to sit down!!! $969! Jeesh....back to the drawing board.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Airhead - probably the first on a C-Dory, it was 2005 - and they were a bit less then. But totally worth it. We could not be happier with our choice.

Peter_BDA wrote:
Wow, just priced an Air Head...I need to sit down!!! $969! Jeesh....back to the drawing board.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

onthewater

City/Region: Southwest Missouri
State or Province: MO
Vessel Name: Sal Salis Vita
Photos: Sal Salis Vita
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: The Best Marine Head Reply with quote

Hello Peter:

Here's a link to a thread from last year discussing heads. It might give you a little more info to ponder.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=14696

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 22, your best option is a simple porta potty. Cheap relative to any other option and far less complicated than a true marine head. When I had a 22, I had a curtain made to create an enclosure in the cockpit. We used the porta potty out there. No smell in the cabin, no need to remove the cushion in the birth to access the head. I was VERY surprised to see that anyone put a marine head in a 22. I wouldn't replace it with anything but a porta potty if I were you.
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: The best marine head Reply with quote

I must get my 2 cents worth in on this topic. The humble port a potty is still the best for small boats.

They don.t smell, they can be dumped overbroad if you are off shore, you can take the bottom tank to any shore toilet for dumping and many marinas have a special dumpsite for pottys.
They so not have hoses that get smelly and need replacing.

Thanks for letting me have my say.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be the solution for us. We took out the factory head and simplified with one of these.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=Picture_037&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: