Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

You'll be able to back the stern into your shop for engine maintenance but the top of the anchor light with the tall arch is 13'6". I have a 12'6" RV garage available to use at a friends but it's a no go Sad

I can't imagine you not liking the TC. Have you looked through various TC owners photo albums?

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the 24' TC after having had a 22' classic. The ride is very different. As was said above, once Penny (the first mate) experienced the ride we knew it was the right decision. The boat feels so much more stable than a monohull. And if I can maneuver the boat in tight quarters, then anyone can!
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: And the winner is --- Reply with quote

edc wrote:
Well it seems the TC has a lot to offer with little downside (other than cost and dealing with a larger package esp on the trailer). I noted someone mentioned a height with radar (I think) of 13' on the trailer. The highest door on my shop is 12', any other insight on height on trailer? I realize that is not a show stopper. I would like to get to Friday Harbor, have to think about that. Thanks again to all of you, Ed

Hi Ed,
It was me that measured 13' even from the road to the top of my GPS receiver. I was using a light bar mounted above my radar mount to hold the GPS receiver. The very tip of this otherwise incredibly strong mount has a 2" plastic threaded piece to hold the GPS receiver. After three seasons of sun this plastic piece broke off in seas. So I removed this light bar and mounted the GPS receiver directly onto the roof with a stainless steel mount. This lowered my trailer height by about 5" so I'm more like 12'7" to the top of my radome.

I never have help launching retrieving Napoleon and thus have to do it single handed. The guide on rails (same as Bob's if you look in my photo album) make it a snap. I also replaced about 6' of carpet on the front of the bunks with slicks and it's even easier to power on and off. The old timers at the yacht club love to watch everything and they definitely stop and stare when I am loading this 28' vessel solo and leave the ramp in about 10 minutes.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The height of the boat depends on the radar arch you buy. We had a garage that had a door that was 11' 11". I had a radar arch made that was shorter than the then available arch. The arch was made by "Railmakers" I think. The cost was the same as the normal short arch. It was a close fit, but the boat fit under the 11' 11" door header. We built a new house two years later, the new garage doors are 14' high.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do is to stay at a Holiday Inn Express on your way to a C Brat gathering where there are many different boats of interest as possible present. Then you will be an expert before you get there and can make an informed decision . Oh yeah and this site helps too.
Marc

B&B Burks

City/Region: Green Valley
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: rebuttal Reply with quote

[quote="Dreamer"]edc,

This will give you an idea of where the extra size is in a TC255, on the Left and a CD-25 on the Right.

You can probably guess which one I'd recommend Wink
[/quo
te]

Roger- slap you upside the head! You taking bad about yo cruising partner
Sea Pal. Shame on you. I need not mention that Dreamer sits very high in the saddle and catches lots of wind. Nor will I mention the cavern between to 2 hulls that induces a slap or so I have been told at anchor and that sprays the boats behind when it sneezes. Both good boats and Sea Pal likes cruising with Dreamer,Sea Pal did not know about Dreamers
single hull envy.

Sorry we will miss you all at Friday Harbor and at the other NW gatherings. Sea Pal, sitting low in the saddle, leaves on the May 10 for
Norfolk Va. to start the our Great Loop Adventure. God willing we will do it
in 2 years coming home in the winter for some R & R. You'll have a great
boating season and practice safe boating. Want to see you all when we get back.

Happy boating & calm seas

Bob
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob and Betsy,

Have a great time on your Great Loop excursion - we'll be looking forward to reading about it.

Best wishes from another CD-25 crew,
Jim & Joan

crowleykirk

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Life
Photos: C-Life
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
We bought our Tomcat last year after several years of decision making, or as I like to call it, between boats. Despite the higher initial costs and ongoing expenses, I feel we will save money in the long run by making this the last boat we will ever buy. After one year of ownership we still have that feeling of owning a new boat every time we set foot on it.

Hello, looks like you are in SoCal with your Tomcat. How does it handle the SoCal waves and swells? We build a new C-Dory 23 a few years ago when we were keeping it in the San Juans. Then moved it to SoCal and hated it. Just not enough boat to safely navigate SoCal unless the conditions are prime.

We really want a new Helmsmen 38E. But, I still love the TomCat.
Obviously very different vessels.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We build a new C-Dory 23 a few years ago when we were keeping it in the San Juans. Then moved it to SoCal and hated it. Just not enough boat to safely navigate SoCal unless the conditions are prime.

I would like to address the monohull experience--My TC 255 experience in S. Calif. waters is limited, but I do know these waters very well. Over a 50 year period, and from Dana Point to Marina del Rey, (the majority from Alamitos Bay or Huntington Harbor) I have made hundreds, most likely over a thousands crossing to Catalina. The boats have been from a 12' inflatable, to 62' heavy displacement motor sailor Ketch. (I had both a CD 22 and a CD 25 we kept in S. Calif, and my son owns a CD 25 I had a lot of time in an 18' 'deep "V" (early Raymond Hunt design which was my fishing/diving and tender when I left larger boats at Catalina and commuted to the mainland), which could run at up 40 mph in calm waters. Most days, if you leave the mainland before 11 AM, you will have a reasonably comfortable trip to Catalina. The Tom Cat is no exception. As the Westerly winds build, by 1 PM there is enough chop to slow you down, and by late afternoon, it is going to be slow and wet.

The other factor is where you are coming from and going to. The Further East (~South as you would think) the more you are going into the channel chop. Conversely when you get up toward Marina Del Ray, the more the chop and seas are following (and better for both the Tom Cat and any of the C Dory boats).

The Tom Cat runs down waves (Rollers) better than many other Cats, which are the Semi displacement type of hull. However even from Santa Monica, I would not want to take a Tom Cat across the channel late in the day. Worse if you tried from Huntington Harbor or Newport.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: