The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

25' C-Dory Sedan vs TomCat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edc

City/Region: Kelseyville
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: 25' C-Dory Sedan vs TomCat Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am interested in a C-Dory. I have owned many boats small to large. We currently have a couple of open cockpit boats. We live in northern Calif and want to explore/boat/fish in the northwest -- San Juans, etc. We have always liked the looks of C-Dorys, have heard many good things about them, and like traditional looking boats with proven classic designs. I am interested in some information on the trade-offs between the 25' Sdn and the TomCat. I tried searching but didn't find much. Any guidance on how to find such info on the forum -- it has to be a topic that has been discussed before. Thanks in advance, Ed
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you search for 25' cruiser? No one refers to the 25' as "sedan" so that might be part of the problem.

On edit - I did a search of Tomcat vs. Cruiser and here's a thread I started awhile ago. I'm sure there are more out there.

edc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thks Roger, good info. I like lots of things about the 25' cruiser however being only able to go 6 to 8 knots in a 2 to 3 ft chop seems very limiting. I am not a speed freak (although one of my current boats runs 60+) but find that being able to cruise about 20 knots or so is very useful -- and sometimes safer when maneuvering around commercial traffic etc. I also hear that high tidal currents are part of the northwest boating reality so a little more comfortable speed is a plus. However a cat hull is a real reach for me -- I had the same problem going from inboards to outboards even with all their obvious advantages. thks again for the link and the sedan correction. Ed
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience with a 22 and a much faster 20 foot Whaler, the C-Dory does just fine avoiding commercial traffic and powering through PNW tidal currents. My 22 is plenty fast/powerful enough to go through any tidal rapids that I want to, and I'm sure an adequately powered 25 would do just as well if not better. I wouldn't make a decision between the 25 and Tomcat based on those two factors. If you want to run fast in moderately choppy water, or want a bigger berth and easier access than the 25 offers, the Tomcat is a great choice.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edc wrote:
thks Roger, good info. I like lots of things about the 25' cruiser however being only able to go 6 to 8 knots in a 2 to 3 ft chop seems very limiting. I am not a speed freak (although one of my current boats runs 60+) but find that being able to cruise about 20 knots or so is very useful -- and sometimes safer when maneuvering around commercial traffic etc. I also hear that high tidal currents are part of the northwest boating reality so a little more comfortable speed is a plus. However a cat hull is a real reach for me -- I had the same problem going from inboards to outboards even with all their obvious advantages. thks again for the link and the sedan correction. Ed

edc,

I'm not sure where you saw the information that said that a CD25 would only go 6-8 knots in 2-3 foot chop. Even with our CD22, we go anywhere between 9-12 knots in 2-3 foot chop. I would imagine you can go a little faster with a CD25. We boated almost exclusively in the San Juans for the last 6 seasons and our average cruise speed was between 16-20 knots in our CD22. And the water was rarely "glassy", mostly small chop and of course, sometimes much bigger. It also helps that we have both a Permatrim and Bennett trim tabs, although we mostly use the Permatrim to get the bow down and the trim tabs for lateral adjustments.

I'll await CD25 owners to add their opinions on the ride but I'm sure you'd be very happy with the boat ride the CD25 offers.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Peter on the speed in 2-3' chop. Another option to consider would be the Venture series, a bit more deadrise, the 26' would be the ticket if your looking for the head.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Peter on the higher speeds in chop. We have a 25 with twins, trim tabs and permatrims and only have to slow down to 6-8 if the waves are over 4ft, steep, and we are running upwind. This does happen of course but the boat still handles well in the larger waves.

One note. Don't use the visuals on this page to compare the boats.

http://www.c-dory.com/boats/

They represent the Tomcat as being much larger/wider than the 25 cruiser but they actually have the same width and nearly the same length. Try to see them both and tour the interiors before you really make the decision. We were gunning for the TomCat until we actually saw a 25 cruiser inside and loved the larger table, prefereed the cozy Vberth to the open bulkhead queen, and liked the look of the cruiser much better among other things.

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 6-8kts thing comes from a post by Bob in the thread I referenced. My experience with a cruiser is with the 22 and is as follows - in chop much over 1', I slowed from mid 20's down to around 20. In chop from 1-2' I was slowing to around 16-18kts. In chop from 2-3' I was down in the 8-12kt range and in chop over 3' I was generally below 8kts (all speeds going into the chop/waves - speeds would generally be higher with the waves at the stern).

In the sound and the San Juans, I rarely had to do under 16kts. Going W into the open swells of the ocean at Neah Bay, I was rarely able to go much faster than 16kts even with the bow trimmed down with Permatrims. With the Tomcat, I would be doing 26-30kts in similar conditions.
edc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thks to all for the excellent insight. Any pros and cons to the 25 cruiser vs the 26 Venture other than the obvious cost and availability -- when did the venture come on the scene? thks again, Ed
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just say that I have seen a lot of blue water, and for our bodies, that going over 8 knots in true 2 1/2 foot seas will beat the heck out of you in a C Dory 25. The Tom Cat 255 will do 25 to 30 knots in true 3 foot chop--but much over that, then you are not going to keep that speed up.

The Tom Cat has a much bigger berth, easier to get in and out of. The entire interior, seems bigger and more comfortable to us--and we have owned both a C Dory 25 and a C Dory 22 at the same time, as the Tom Cat 255. The C Dory 25 will get slightly better fuel economy, but not a lot.

PM sent to edc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edc,

This will give you an idea of where the extra size is in a TC255, on the Left and a CD-25 on the Right.

You can probably guess which one I'd recommend Wink

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a highly unsuccessful attempt to document more measures of at least the CD25.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=184886&sid=941afee45e557d815bc9d4c9d2d8211b

It would be great if more detailed measures were available on the C-dory website or at least here.

Maybe I can dock next to Roger at Friday harbor and we can do a pictoral and dimensional comparison between the two models and post the info in a thread and one of our albums for future reference.

I don't have a recommendation for you other than to check them all out. j That can be a bit tough sometimes but use the C-brats to view the boats you are interested in if your local dealers can't provide the appropriate models. I would even recommend considering the 27. The interior of the Venture is significantly different than the 25 so again it is worth a look. If you were to post more specific needs and preferences, we could elaborate on more details for you as well.

Greg
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is no problem and you have a great tow vehicle, I can think of no reason not to get the cat. I'd love one....
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tom Cat and love it, but it is more challenging to launch and retrieve, primarily because it sits so high on the trailer (see the photo above). All other things being equal, you need a steeper ramp with more water for the TC. It is also heavier and taller going down the road. And, of course, it costs more new but used ones are going at a greater discount.

Once on the water, those issues are moot.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: 25' C-Dory Sedan vs TomCat Reply with quote

I don't have a dog in this thread but, from reading your post speed is still important to you,
There the TomCat wins
Ride in a nasty chop Tom Cat wins.
Roomier cockpit bunk etc TomCat wins
Price new or used Cd-25 wins if less is better
If overall economy is a consideration Tom Cat loses big.
The TomCat is more to tow
needs two 135hp or 150 hp instead of one
uses more fuel
maintaining two engines instead of one
over cost to buy New comparing a Venture 26, or a C-Dory 25 and the TomCat I'm thinking the TomCat has to cost more
The trailer for the TomCat will cost more
The insurance will cost more
If you have the money the TomCat is the real deal, if ecomomy is part of the story a used CD 25 might be the ticket. It's your choice to make both great boats just different. Like others have said if buying new and you did not for some reason want to go TomCat I would go with a New Venture 26 instead of a CD-25. But that's just me.
D.D.
D.D.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: