View previous topic :: View next topic  
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: I learned a bit about wind today Reply with quote

As I've posted before, I am in the learning curve about docking the TC24. We're in a slip now and I need to make a sharp turn to starboard to pull into the slip and tie to starboard -- can't just drift in to tie on the port side. So today I went out into Bellingham Bay and found a nice place to practice. There was a bit of wind that pushed me away from the starboard tie on my practice place. After a couple of tries [actually many] I had it down to where I could 'dock' without too much difficulty. Feeling good, I headed back to Squalicum. I pulled into the fairway and started my turn into our slip...way too early. There was no wind and I had not accounted for that fact so had turned with the anticipation that I'd be pushed a bit further along. The result is that I spent much time trying to recover. It was pretty ugly and I erased some barnacles from this earth. At least I remembered not to overdo things and took it slow, and I made it. New boat, first time in a slip, different wind conditions...priceless learning opportunity.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even into the same slip, conditions vary daily. When we first picked up our boat, I practiced for several days, going in and out of different slips that were open - bow in, stern in, starboard tie, port tie. Over the course of a couple days, I got to experience different wind conditions and directions. There was some swearing and I was able to brush up on panic, but it was a great learning situation. These boats have a lot of cabin above the waterline... your TomCat probably behaves different, but it is quite a learning curve to see how these boats tend to "sail" at slow speeds.

Sounds like you've got a handle on it - enjoy the new boat!

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-ness:

Nice, honest, report!

Sometimes the learning curve is pretty steep, early on!

Reminds me of Dusty's oft-quoted advice:

"Never approach the dock any faster than you're willing to collide with it!" Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking only for myself, I've done all sorts of "maneuvers" in the 25 while docking; some planned, most unplanned. I've done 180's, nearly hit steel protrudements, other boats, docks...I can always tell when things go smoothly as my heart rate and BP stay stable. Laughing It's a learning curve and my skills deminish over the long winter. Add wind, tide, other boaters etc and well...it can get exciting. Practice makes good and I tend to take things slowly so as to mitigate mistakes when possible.
bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I start out each new year bumping into my slip neighbors, literally. This year, I didn't adjust our spring line lengths for a different harbor. Approach was ok, but boat kept going rather than snuggling up to the dock. Spring line didn't pull us in, & took too long to reverse headway. 2nd try went better

Rolling Eyes

Brian & Helen Idzik
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today, since it was lovely outside, we decided to practice a bit more. Because we need to turn right into a starboard tie I decided to try backing down the fariway a little past our slip and then pull forward into our slot. The tomcat backs very well and this seemed to work for me. Afterwards we took a few spins around the bay in 1-2' chop, enjoying the ride of the tomcat. On the way back in when I was setting fenders, I accidently pushed the forward docking line overboard. I didn't notice it until it fouled the starboard prop just as we were starting our backing maneuver. The tomcat doesn't back as well with just one motor, so I had to pull in forward. Surprising, I sllipped in the first time. Now....note to self to better attach the forward docking line or cut it 1' short of the length needed to reach the prop.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-ness wrote:
And today, since it was lovely outside, we decided to practice a bit more. Because we need to turn right into a starboard tie I decided to try backing down the fariway a little past our slip and then pull forward into our slot. The tomcat backs very well and this seemed to work for me. Afterwards we took a few spins around the bay in 1-2' chop, enjoying the ride of the tomcat. On the way back in when I was setting fenders, I accidently pushed the forward docking line overboard. I didn't notice it until it fouled the starboard prop just as we were starting our backing maneuver. The tomcat doesn't back as well with just one motor, so I had to pull in forward. Surprising, I sllipped in the first time. Now....note to self to better attach the forward docking line or cut it 1' short of the length needed to reach the prop.

The latter approach is the more fool proof one. That's what I do.

Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been blowing 15-20 just about every day here on the Gulf. With my 17' kayak on top there's a lot of windage. Going into the wind docking is fine but from just about any other direction it's a challenge for me. It got me wondering if this is another advantage of twins. Do twin outboards allow much more control like larger twin screw boats?
Alan
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

There are those who would argue that point, but in my limited experience with twins, there are some definite advantages to having 2 OB's and paying double the price for the fall tuneup. One of those advantages is that you have considerably more low speed control. Once I am into the marina, I turn the wheel until the OB's are sitting straight a head, and then the throttles are used exclusively for steering, (Forward at different speds for long slow turns, one forward, one reverse for short sharp turns, both in reverse for backing, even at an angle).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

chimoii

State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Alan,

There are those who would argue that point, but in my limited experience with twins, there are some definite advantages to having 2 OB's and paying double the price for the fall tuneup. One of those advantages is that you have considerably more low speed control. Once I am into the marina, I turn the wheel until the OB's are sitting straight a head, and then the throttles are used exclusively for steering, (Forward at different speds for long slow turns, one forward, one reverse for short sharp turns, both in reverse for backing, even at an angle).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

We have owned a 28 with twin inboards in the past and now a 23 Venture with twin O/B. VERY different. With the inboards the control as Harvey mentions is a piece of cake. Rudder control even gives the chance to move sideways. Turning in calm conditions with the O/Bs is good. The outboards are too close together to be truly effective when there is wind involved and you are trying to turn the bow up into the wind. Even with quite a lot of throttle the the torque arm is too short. I got a tip from the cox of a CG rescue boat who watched me docking one day. He reminded me that stern first is always easier but since I have to go bow first he suggested I steer like a single but only use the outer motor going forward. In other words, to turn the bow to port put the wheel hard to port and use the starboard motor. The offset gives more turning torque. So far it seems to have worked out well.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Cat has the outboards wider set so that it acts a bit more like an inboard--but going into my lift, I have to bring the stb engine up, so it does not hit the bottom, and use only the port engine.
The twin hulls with hard chines act like keels on the Tom Cat, which negates some of the advantage of wide set outboards.

I think that there is a huge difference with the inboards in larger boats and the closely set outboards of the C Dory. As Chimoii says, you can walk the twin inboard boats sideways--although I can do this to a limited extent with the Tom Cat, I have not been as successful with twin closely set outboards.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: