The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Window Privacy covers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Window Privacy covers Reply with quote

I've been thinking about having some privacy covers/curtains made. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of what they've done?
Pat, I read a post somewhere a while back where you said you and Patti had made your own. Can you describe what you did and do you have any pictures?
Thanks
Ron
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto here. I'm shy.... Embarassed
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat and Patti are out in the San Juans for the week-end. Just missed them over by Orcas Is. She did make hers out of matching Sunbrella. They are held up with velcro just like the factory ones.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made individual curtains for each window using material from the fabric store and replaced some of the window screws with snaps headed screws to hold them up. The snaps to replace the screws were the most expensive part - don't buy them at West Marine - we've since learned there are cheaper places. Patterns were pretty easy - we just taped paper over the windows, drew the outline and cut 'em out. Sorry we didn't save them.

Mac & Linda
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

Here is a link to my photos of curtins in my 22 cruiser.

Click here

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the exact same as Mac & Linda, had a blast doing it too. Takes a day or two to sew all the edges and install the snaps, but worth it. If I can do a reasonable job of this, I'm sure you can!

You can get mildew resistant canvas from JoAnn fabrics that matches many of the Sunbrella colors at a great deal less than Sunbrella if you are on a budget. It looks great and brings a smile every time we install them. My experience has been that the more you do on your own the more the boat becomes part of you.

"Chivita" Dave
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies. I think it is probably something we'll do ourselves.
One other question. Where do you store the covers when not in use and do they take up a fair bit of space?
Cheers
Ron
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

We put our removable covers on the vee berth when they are not on the windows.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Privacy covers Reply with quote

Patty did not make ours, alas, we bought them with the boat for $$$ - she made a set for Halcyon, which she made from $unbrella and are almost exactly like the ones we bought, held in place with velcro, they look the same anyway. I will let her explain herself, I assume that if one can sew, borrowing a set to make a pattern is the key. I think she is not planning to use $unbrella for set for the new 25, as they don't need the weather resistance.

Ron on Meander wrote:
I've been thinking about having some privacy covers/curtains made. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of what they've done?
Pat, I read a post somewhere a while back where you said you and Patti had made your own. Can you describe what you did and do you have any pictures?
Thanks
Ron

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have any pictures of ours, the MOOSE came with interior window covers already made and installed by the folks who made our camper back (Proctor Canvas near Duluth, MN). The material is not Sunbrella, but a thinner, coated fabric of neutral, translucent color which still lets light in. The sections install with snaps and there are some extra snaps on the fabric to enable the covers to be loosened somewhat to allow a gap for ventilation. I numbered all the sections like a clock so I could easily figure out where they all go as it is no mean feat to figure it out the first time. Given that we are nearly always anchored in privacy, I thought we'd never have need of the curtains. But what we have found is that they are great for keeping the cabin from becoming a greenhouse on a sunny.
Al
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm sure the sewn fabric has a softer and more hospitabale feel and look, if the ability to sew (especially canvas) is a deciding factor, I'm sure one could find a fabric / plastic laminate (like the type of material used in mouse pads and place matts) that could be cut to shape and not have to have the edges folded over and sewn. Could even be fabricated with spray adhesive joining the fabric of your choice and opaque or translucent soft plastic sheeting. The easy part would be to set up the snap or velcro system to hold them up. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just line the cabin with the hook part of the velcro and go down to Wally World and buy terrycloth towels (which stick to velcro like velcro) and have curtains for $10 or so. Pick up a roll of plastic screen while you're at it and line a strip of velcro on that (the fuzz part) and now you've got a ready roll-up screen for the door.

This is how I lined mine:

primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, curtains are well worth the effort.
Instead of using sunbrella, we made ours cut to the window size, from a quilted material designed for its insulative value. They are like window blankets! We added a backing of synthetic upholstry cloth on the exposed side. The curtains do a great job of keeping us warm (or cool) as well as providing occasional privacy.
They attach with velcro.
When not in use they store in a small zipped duffel bag up in the berth.
- Rene

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the custom sunbrella on my 16' cruiser and loved them. Don't have anything but make shift now for my TomCat, and love their mult-purpose got em and had it all on the boat anyway flexibility... Got me a bag or two of those plastic "clamps" that look like the ends of jumper cables in about 2" size....and a bag full of multi-size.... Then, I have bought some nice big navy blue 100% cotton towels... use em everywhere during the day...then hang them via the clamps on the little square "runner" that goes around all the factory windown.... Want to hold one up somewhere....add another clamp. Finished and ready for the next day...put your towels away, toss the clamps in their bowl...or leave them clamped to the windows for a quick grab... And they are real stylish in Alabama....grin. Zero extra dollars spent on the curtains.... and Sherryl can not believe that...
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

Our canvas curtains fold up into a rather tidy package, maybe 15" by 15" by an inch or so. Since they take up so little space they get stuck where ever the person who took them off felt like sticking them. I used a regular sewing maching and sewed black cloth "pipeing" ("Piping"?) around the edges of the trimmed to fit canvas and sewed a black cloth webbing material in one inch by one inch squares where the snaps mounted through the canvas. I am by no means qualified to sew anything worth wearing, as my only other sewing experience was in a Junior High Home Ec class, but the curtains turned out pretty good.

My one great idea in doing this was to use green thread on the starboard side curtains, this cuts down the time it takes to figure out which curtain goes on which side.

"Chivita" Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: