The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED Lighting for Cabin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_BDA

City/Region: Bermuda
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Luna-Sea
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: LED Lighting for Cabin Reply with quote

Hey all,

Got some great LED lights from these folks:

http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com

4 of these:

http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/White-18-LED-Interior-Accent-Light-4-Round-50023850/

Can`t beat the price and they are BRIGHT! Putting one over the galley, one over the helm, one over the dinette and one in the v-berth (a.k.a. cave).
Nice thing about them is that they have built in switch.

Pictures to follow when they are installed.

Peter

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too mounted 3 of the LED cabin lights in the cabin and they have the red/off/white switch on each light. Way small wires....and hard for my fingers to work with but I like them.

I also bought a pair of Sea Dog Chrome Brass Chart lights with the flex neck and it is AWESOME only better the way I can point it and the range/angles I can direct the light. Better than a lava lamp any day and now I can see!! Great when measuring those morning coffee gounds you forgot to load the night before while you were awake...

Got mine from Fisheries up in WA state. Found them on another site here:
http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-supplies.cfm/lights-cabin/sea-dog-corp-4005401/20w-halogen-chart-light-large-brass.html

Look like this mounted:

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up on the possibility of RF interference on the 2 Meter ham band and Marine VHF. Last week while out I was trying to check into a morning 2 meter net. Everyone could hear me, but I couldn't get much but static. Morning light was just coming on so I turned off the three LED lights in the cabin and VOILA. Clear reception. I also noticed a little of added interence on the marine bank. I have two LEDs that I bought at the Seattle Boat Show which seem to give more interfeence that the other which I had bought somewhere else.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some of those Marine beam led panels in our lights now and we like the brightness and color but I have noticed they severely impact our FM reception when they are powered. Didn't notice any effect yet with the VHF but I will keep that in mind.
Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the lights with the VHF and it is a problem. I only get broken static with the lights on. HMM...... I like the lights and can work around this I think but bummer.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emailed the company and am awaiting a response. We get nothing but static on VHF and FM with the lights on. Maybe a defective product run? These lights were specifically marketed not to do this.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prompt response from Jeff within one hour! It looks like they had a bad batch and I purchased them through Fisheries Supply in early February. I would send him a message if you are experiencing the problem with your bulbs.

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the issues.

We recently heard a similar story from another gentleman in Seattle who purchased our products through Fisheries Supply/IMTRA. We did some internal tests, and confirmed that a group of bulbs which were produced several months ago that could potentially exhibit RF interference. While we had CE certified that bulb earlier under the EMC directives, and had very good compliance, we had a quality issue from our subsupplier of driver IC's late last year which could not be resolve with the vendor, so we change brands. It seems that the new vendor's chip, while having the same topology, is not compatible with our filtering scheme. We are in the midst of solving this with a redesign of the board. So it is definitely our problem, and we will replace all your bulbs. It is important that you let me know which dealer you purchased them from at the show so I can track the batches.

FYI, our bulbs use a switch-mode converter to monitor and control the current the bulbs see. This technology is completely non-resistive, super-efficient, and necessary given a boat's variable voltage environment. One of the downsides of this technology is the potential for EMI. Thanks to the cell phone and automotive industry, we can leverage converter technologies which limit and filter EMI/RF emissions. Controlling RF, both conducted and emitted, is part art and part science, and the Matrix, with its long wires, has the greatest potential for emissions. Boats have lots of specialized devices (called radios and antennas) that are designed to collect and amplify very weak signals. Couple that with a bad IC, and we have a problem.

By the way, even with our CE/FCC compliant products there is still some potential for EMI, but it is usually a result of conductive noise due to an FM antenna laying across a power wire, or some other housekeeping issue like that and tends to be boat specific.

I hope that you can live with these for just a few weeks more. I am waiting for a new batch to be produced and am very hopeful we will solve this problem.

Jeff Field
Marinebeam LED Lighting
99 S. Harris Rd
S. Donaldson Industrial Park
Piedmont, SC 29673
www.marinebeam.com
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff says the non-interfering replacement bulbs are now two weeks out. I will keep in touch with him to get the replacements I need and post the relevant info here as a reminder for others with the bad units.

Greg
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He told me that the problem could not always be reproduced so I went ahead and bought some from Fisheries and will see if they affect my boat.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New non-interfereing bulbs are now available and Jeff shipped me out the three I needed yesterday for no cost.

I will let you all know how they work soon,

Jeff Field
Marinebeam LED Lighting
99 S. Harris Rd
S. Donaldson Industrial Park
Piedmont, SC 29673
www.marinebeam.com
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I bought from Fisheries work fine. No interference.

I just plugged mine in but I am wondering if the double-sided stickies in the package are intended to stick the circuit board up against the inside of the fixture? I threw my stickies away by mistake so need to find out if there is a particular type to use.

Warren
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up putting a very small piece of the double stick foam tape on each (light side) corner of the panel and sticking them to the clear lens that way.

Greg
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you stick the circuit board & LEDs to the lens? What I meant was to fasten it to the metal of the fixture. Right now it is resting on the lens and works fine. I just thought by fastening it away from the lens the light might be slightly more diffuse and you would not be able to see the individual LEDs, as you can now.

Warren
Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Warren but there was so much texture on the back of the light panel and so little in the way of smooth surfaces inside the fixture, I figured it wouldn't stick worth a damn so I stuck it down instead of up. Works fine and you don't really look at the lights much anyway while they are lit.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the bulbs today and although there is a slight bit of VHF static generated, it is very minimal and doesn't really affect the clarity of incoming calls. The FM seems unaffected. So the new bulbs work and I recommend that anybody with some of the bad units contact Jeff using the info above and request replacements for your boat.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: