City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Here's my approach. Come into the dock planning on an arc approaching, close (3-4 feet is close enough) and then turn away, continuing the arc. After the boat is pointing away from the dock, bring both engines into reverse, backing toward the dock, minimal momentum. at about 1 foot from the aft corner touching the dock, put the outboard (engine on the side away from the dock), into forward. Hold the dock side engine in reverse and your boat will twist right up to the dock. Make's it look like you have a bow thruster. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey, how do you adapt this for entering a slip from a fairway?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren asked:

"Harvey, how do you adapt this for entering a slip from a fairway?"

It is easy. Since the stern is where the OB's are and that is where the control is coming from that is the portion of the boat that moves laterally, when the OB's are turned. Reversing the propulsion of one engine will twist the boat, but you want to contact the dock first and not have too much twist. AND for sure there isn't room to do the "half arc" approach in a slip, usually.

SO.... BACK IN. Approach your slip. Using the throttles and F-R gearing, rotate the boat to point away from your slip, THEN gently back into the slip, with a slight twist towards where you want to contact it. 6" to a foot from that point, the far side (NO not the cartoon Rolling Eyes) the opposite side of the boat from the dock OB needs to go into Forward with just a slight power bump to overcome the rearward inertia, and then twist the bow towards the doc.

An alternative to the forward power bump and twist might be to put a stern line onto a cleat, and then put that farside Wink engine into forward at idle and it will bring the boat over to the dock and hold it there. Shocked just want to make real sure that stern line and cleat are up to that.

I have used that only a very few times when there is an off dock wind or current. It is quick to get the stern line on, ( a loop over the dock cleat and then a twist and tie on the boat cleat), and then bring the boat to the dock and stabilize before disembarking to do the bow line. Takes longer to write it out here than to do it.

Love My Twins, "Port and Starbird"

Harvey
SleepyC Moon Moon

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the marina where Sea Angel is kept we have floating finger piers that reach out from a bulkhead abt 35' long. These piers are 90 degrees to the tidal flow and face south.

The preferred method I have to use here is, center the helm, use the throttles, BACK INTO the CURRENT to swing the CD onto the current side of the pier. This is done so the fork lifts can pull the boats out in a safe manner. It does get very interesting when the wind is opposite the current with all the sail area of the CD25 and the shallow draft.

SO, SLOW in rev, 90 degrees to the dock's end, at this point I start my approach to start the swing, 4-6' from the pier end and abt midships. I use the outboard eng in rev.; the inboard from idle to fwd to control the rate of turn. I try to keep far enough away fro the dock to allow recovery from wind gusts as they come down the Creek. When I am positioned between the docks, usually abt 2'-3' from it, I take the engines out of gear and let the current bring me to the dock. All this is done only with the throttles. I will make minor adjustment to have the CD land parallel. This must work... No 'dings', so far.

I must admit that the worst time I had it took 10 tries because of wind conditions and no space on the current side of the dock.. I ended up tying off at the end of the dock and pivoting in. This is what happens when there is but one open dock with boats occupying both sides of each unit. Trying to thread the needle without hitting another boat can be fun, at times like this.

Bottom line- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and MORE PRACTICE; as it was suggested before; in open waters and at your home dock with various conditions. Remember, speed is an ingredient for much trouble.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: How a pro does it Reply with quote

My neighbor Jeff in the slip next to mine is a professional captain who lives on his boat when not working. His boat draws 3.5 feet, and that's about how deep it is in his slip, and he's about 20 feet from shore. A single screw and no side thrusters, yet he maneuvers his big boat better than I do with twin outboards. I'm envious. There are photos of him maneuvering out of his slip here:

http://smittypaddler.com/cds/cdc/fl11/d110326p.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How a pro does it Reply with quote

smittypaddler wrote:
My neighbor Jeff in the slip next to mine is a professional captain who lives on his boat when not working. His boat draws 3.5 feet, and that's about how deep it is in his slip, and he's about 20 feet from shore. A single screw and no side thrusters, yet he maneuvers his big boat better than I do with twin outboards. I'm envious. There are photos of him maneuvering out of his slip here:

http://smittypaddler.com/cds/cdc/fl11/d110326p.htm

Ha ha - one of the best fringe benefits of working as a captain.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, but I'm not even close to that league! In our current set up, we have a fairly narrow fairway with lots of boats extending beyond their slips with their engines [ok, I do too]. In order to enter the slip I have to make a sharp right hand turn [docking on the starbord side]. Thus, while I can dock reasonably easily coming straight in, the turn has caused some difficulty, especially since the prevailing wind forces me from the dock. BUT, all the tips here have helped. I'm getting more confident that I can make the turn and head into the dock. All I need to do is get reasonably close to the dock. I have lines from bow and stern cleats ready in the cockpit. I can simply step off and tie to the dock cleats to fix both ends of the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: