HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor Roller for Danforth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_BDA

City/Region: Bermuda
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Luna-Sea
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Anchor Roller for Danforth Reply with quote

Hey all,

Anyone have any experience with a choosing a new anchor roller? I am looking to replace a broken one (wasn't me!!!!) on my new (to me) 22" Cruiser. I will be using a Danforth anchor.

Any help would be be appreciated!

Peter
Bermuda

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter-

It kind of depends on how big your anchor is, as well as what type, as these factors determine how long the anchor roller has to be to keep the tip(s) of the anchor from impacting the bow of the boat at rest, and even on the way up.

I use a pivoting Simpson-Lawrence anchor roller with a Fortress FX-16 anchor, which is a Danforth like anchor, mostly because the pivoting feature is necessary for the anchor to self-launch while using a windlass, which I have.

Without more information on what size your Danforth is, it will be hard to suggest which anchor roller will work best for you.

If I were you, I'd take my existing anchor to a marine chandlery, and see how it fits on the various rollers they have, then, once I found one that I thought would work, I'd buy it with the proviso that I could return/exchange it if it didn't work once I held it up to the boat to check the fit.

If you have, or plan on having a windlass, then the pivoting bow roller is very desirable to have to work with a Danforth type anchor, as it drops the center of gravity down far enough to initiate the self- launching needed with a windlass.

Good Luck with your project!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Anchor set up on Sea Wolf:

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, thanks for all the info and advice. I have some challenges: I bought the boat second hand and I haven't had it in the water myself and the anchor roller looks like it has been broken off for a while. It didn't come with an anchor but based on my experience with other boats and our location I will mostly likely buy a Danforth type anchor.

To make matters worse, the availability of anchor rollers and other various boating accessories is very limited in Bermuda-we usually order from overseas as it is cheaper as well. The trick is doing your research and making the right choice!

All that being said (!) I am impressed with your set up and the reasons for your choices. I think this will give me enought direction at least for the time being.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens!

My best
Peter
Bermuda
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, sorry to bother but can you supply me with the model number of the Simpson Lawrence anchor roller that you bought?

Trying to find on the net...

Thanks
Peter
bburgin

City/Region: Mississippi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: MY HOOKER
Photos: MY HOOKER
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: anchor roller Reply with quote

I just took off my stock roller,I don't need it if you want it.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_BDA wrote:
Hey Joe, sorry to bother but can you supply me with the model number of the Simpson Lawrence anchor roller that you bought?

Trying to find on the net...

Thanks
Peter

Sure, it's Lewmar # 66840007 (Lewmar is the latest name of Simpson-Lawrence.)

Google Price Search

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
bburgin

City/Region: Mississippi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: MY HOOKER
Photos: MY HOOKER
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: anchor roller Reply with quote

thats the same one I installed on my boat, works great!
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: anchor roller Reply with quote

bburgin wrote:
thats the same one I installed on my boat, works great!

Yes, if you have a windlass and a Danforth, or a Delta Fast-Set claw type anchor, you need this type roller, and it self launches all the other anchor types as well.

However, if you don't have a windlass, necessitating this pivoting type roller, a fixed one would be less trouble if you're always going to handle the anchor yourself manually on the bow.

The pivoting anchor requires a tight rode behind it to hold the anchor securely in the straight-out position when stowed. A loose rode would allow the anchor to bounce around in chop when underway.

What is more, the pivoting anchor roller is to no advantage to a manual set up / arrangement. For that, simply use the fixed roller: read "Kiss Principle" !

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, thanks for the info (again!). Given the fact that I won't be installing a windlass for a while (read that as not in the current budget!) I think the advice of installing the fixed roller for the time being is good. BUT now I know what to buy WHEN I get the windlass.

@My Hooker (never written THAT before!!!) thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch.

Thanks all, my best
Peter
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter-

If you can get a stock (OEM) fixed roller for an especially reasonable price/deal, that would be the way to go if you don't plan to add a windlass.

OTOH, if I knew that I was later on going to install a windlass, I'd buy the pivoting roller anyway, and just drill a couple of holes in it and add a couple of cross bolts to lock it up for the time being, then have it ready to go when I added the windlass later, simply by removing the bolts.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: