The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Trailer Question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

The new 22 Cruiser is ordered, options pretty much decided, but I have a question on trailers. I've been through the forum on the topic and read all of the single vs dual axle arguments and now I'm looking for personal experiences of those with single axle trailers.

The dealer is recommneding a single axle Load Rite bunk trailer rated for 3600 pounds. Have any of you with this, or a similar trailer, had any problems with this set-up? Not just in theory, but in actual practice?

By the way, I will be using it to travel long distances.

Thanks,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend the tandem axle trailer w/disc brakes. My current trailer that I just bought for my new 22 CD is a tandem axle, King, disc brakes, 4500# capaacity.

I've made several trips on the AK highway between Fairbanks & Washington with both the single & tandem axle boat trailers and the tandem is far and away the better way to go. Particularly if your running the longer hauls. I have a 365 mile trip from my home to the closest salt water as well.

The tandem rides much better, smoothing out a lot of rough spots and the safety factor is significant. Year before last I went down to Valdez. dark and rainy weather. I stopped and checked the trailer and tires several times during the trip but not during the last 60 miles of the run. When I got to Valdez my right rear tire was gone. Just about 2 or 3 inches of rubber extending around the rim. With the tandem I rolled right on in without incident. With a single axle, the only thing I can say is it would have been an entirely different story. Plus, the tandem gives you brakes on 4 wheels instead of 2.

Just my humble opinion.

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience with a blowout. The right rear let go. The only way I knew was I saw something like mud flying up in the air behind the boat in the side miror. Since I was running on a brand new paved highway I new it could only be my tire. I slowed to about 45 and the safest pull off was a few miles ahead. I was suprised to find most of the rubber but the best part was the rim never touched the ground. I've seen singles wheels let go and if you don't get stopped quick chew the rim beyond repair. Not sure what your tow vehicle is but a tandem will track better and cradle a boat much better than a single axle. The boat is basically balanced over the axle front to rear. With two axles there is not quite the balancing act. Just like when you carry something large in two hands instead of one hand. With a C-Dory it is easy to throw tons of stuff in the cockpit setting off for a long trip. With a tandem this effect isn't that dramatic. With a single axle all that weight is to the rear of the one axle. If you tow vehicle was a one ton truck you might not notice but this can cuase rearend sway in lighter vehicles. Not sure what the price difference is between the two types but it is money well spent. And more brakes are more better. One more thing. The tandem fender is usually a much better step up for climbing in over the side. You will perform this feat thousands of times. Strangers will too as they want to see your new boat.

Good Luck,
Chris

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been promoting tandem axle trailers for all these reasons and more for several years. In my opinion, the major reason single axle trailers are sold with CD-22's is to provide a cheap way for dealers to finish off the deal without driving the total price up and placing the final figure into the rejection range. Anyone who seriously thinks it out goes for the tandem set-up, unless they live within a few miles of their most common launch ramp and don't intend to travel any real distance. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with all the tandem touting. I pulled my CD 22 on a single axle trailer for a few thousand miles total, and never had a lick of trouble. But I was worried about it every mile of the way. One old guy even accused me of being "trailerphobic".

When we got a trailer for the CD 25, I followed Les' advice and went with the next higher rated trailer than needed. It was about $500 more, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What those guys said about tandems Thumbs Up

I have been towing on a tandem since 1991, making long runs from so Cal to Washington and British Columbia.

I like my tandem Pacific Trailer.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then on the other hand....a single axle trailer that is rated to safely haul your boat, will safely haul your boat, if properly maintained. There are benifits to a single axle, they're more manueverable as you don't have those tires fighting each other when you turn, they have less rolling resistance so you'd would get better milage and they have less parts to repair and replace....That being said, I wish I had a tandem axle trailer for all the above posted reasons
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trailerphobic? that's not even a word, who would say such things? Smile that seems like a LONG time ago
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next trailer will be a tandem and i will step up to the next higher rating regardless what the sales people think.
And that is all I have to say about that, other than it is VERY difficult to enjoy the boat you LOVE without a reliable trailer. DON'T SKIMP. Oh, and get a spare carrier or two.... and carry replacement bearings, grease, jack and parts to deal with any trailer related issue you may encounter on the road... and that's all.....

And DO NOT GET A SURE LUBE SYSTEM! Bearing buddies would be much better...

And go with stainless disk brakes....

And that is all

And a beefy tounge jack...

that's it, gonna find a quiet place and make some noise.... I got trailer issues... Umm hmmm again.... yep.... single axel, 3600 lb rated POS.

But if you want a great deal on a single axel trailer I'll let you know which bridge I push mine off of when I replace it....

And that's all I have to say about that....

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you don't have quite enough room for it in the garage or in your driveway, consider a "Trailer shortener" which, as you can see, barely keeps me off the sidewalk and the city's "violation" list. Laughing
Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest geting a trailer with at GVW of 5,000 or 6,000 lbs for a 22 cruiser.

I have weighed my boat and trailer and I am right at 5,000 lbs. We use out boat for long distance cruising and the supplies and gear mount up. The factory weight is for an empty boat.

I think its better for the trailer have some reserve capacity. The tires, brakes and springs will last longer.

If I buy a new trailer it will be a galvanized 6,000 lb GVW tandem, with disc brakes on all four wheels.
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandem trailer with disc brakes on all 4 wheels Thumbs Up

A trailer rated at 6,000 lbs GVW, means that after you subtract the trailer weight of 1,200 lbs, you can carry a load of 4,800 lbs. (load includes full gas tanks, full water tank, downriggers, ice chest, remaining fishin gear & mother-in-law)

GET THE BEST TRAILER rated TIRES THAT YOU CAN AFFORD!

Bill's 2 cents
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is clearly a belt AND suspenders crowd. I have the LoadRite single axle trailer that Cutter Marine sold with the boat and haven't had any major problems. However...
1. My launch and retrieve distance is about 60 feet for most outings (I keep the Otter on its trailer at the marina).
2. On the one really long trip we took (about 1400 miles), I did have one blowout and, yes, I had to stop very quickly in order not to damage the rim.
3. I've had more maintenance costs with trailer brakes, bearings, and tail lights than with the boat (okay, maybe thats a slight exaggeration, but I don't mind paying for maintenance on the boat nearly as much as I mind paying it for the trailer).

If you plan a lot of miles, I think a tandem would be a good investment, especially if the difference is in the $500 range as someone said above. One other tip: after replacing the so-called submersible tail lights a few times, I gave up and fashioned a light bar that I attach to the back of the boat when I travel. It takes a few minutes to put on and secure the wires along the side of the trailer each time, but it never fails and it never gets wet!

(Isn't it funny the things that one ends up having opinions about? A few years ago, I'd never have thought that I'd be holding forth on the virtues of a trailer light bar!)

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After what happened today, without a doubt get a tandem trailer. I was towing on I-5 during rush hour just north of Tacoma. You guys know the area, it's like towing over 2 x 4's every 10 feet. Somewhere in that area I had a major blowout on the back left. Didn't know about it until someone starting honking there horn and pointing. Well, I pulled over after traveling another 10 miles ( couldn't any sooner, damn semi's had me sandwiched in). I couldn't believe what I saw, the back side of the tire was gone, yes gone!!! The only thing that saved my bacon was the second tire. I was able to drive to the next exit and have it replaced. No telling what might of happened on a single axel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: