The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

cabin lighting for 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: cabin lighting for 22 Reply with quote

As a new about to be owner...and one who is used to the soft, wood-enhanced atmosphere of my old trawler, i need advice on lights.
It seems tome that the factory installed lights in the cabin and the berth area are for utility..bright. no atmosphere. I'd like to install some softer, reading lights in the dinette area and the berth. Any advice on that?

And curtains for the windows. Any advice?

tom/terraplane
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: cabin lighting for 22 Reply with quote

Never had a trawler, but on our CD22 we think the factory lights are just dandy for reading. Not as much "atmosphere" in the cabin of a CD22 as in a trawler anyway, but I suppose you could add any 12 volt light you wanted to. Actually this is kind of a separate topic, but it would be REAL nice to have the dealer install a second set of heavy wires from the battery to terminate in a separate fuse block in the house for adding the inverter, additional 12 volt lights, a stereo, accessory sockets, etc. - we are going to have Les do this on the new CD25.

I will let Patty answer about the interior privacy curtains - we bought them for the CD22, but after seeing them, Patty realized she could make them, and she has become fairly expert in making them from Subrella or other fabric, since they don't need to be weather resistant on the inside of the cabin (one set for another C-Dory, a similar idea for our son's Vanagon, and she will make them for both the new Daydream and the new Anna Leigh). Obviously it takes a sewing machine and some skill...

terraplane wrote:
As a new about to be owner...and one who is used to the soft, wood-enhanced atmosphere of my old trawler, i need advice on lights.
It seems tome that the factory installed lights in the cabin and the berth area are for utility..bright. no atmosphere. I'd like to install some softer, reading lights in the dinette area and the berth. Any advice on that?

And curtains for the windows. Any advice?

tom/terraplane

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spend most evenings on shore grilling and relaxing with a fire. Several trips back to the boat for this and that. While not real good for reading, we just light a single sented candle in a glass holder on the table. It illumes the cabin interior great and makes the boat look kinda huanted and alive from the outside when you don't burn the anchor light. A nice soft light is great with no battery drain and if a mosquito does get in it usually grills on the open flame. When I finally crawl in the V-birth I can't stay awake to read. I am going to wire up one of those multiple cigarette lighter outlets in the V-birth. One by the table would be handy, too. I have one with alligator clips that goes on either battery in the cockpit. I also hook this to my lawn mower to run a spot light. I love things that are versatile and multi-purpose. There are several devices that have this connection. Such as reading lights, spot lights, handheld GPS, VHF, laptop, cell phones and fans for both cooling and moving the heat to the V-birth. Something I do like when on the water is the minimum light needed for what I am doing. Don't know if it was 21 years in the Army or just the crazy world we live in. But I like to maintain good night vision and be able to see out on the water and along the beach at night when on board. The best defense is not to be suprised and to see the approach of all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: