emergency hull/thru hull repairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: emergency hull/thru hull repairs Reply with quote

Over the years there's been some interesting discussion on various threads about what to carry aboard to patch holes in or damage to the hull or fluid pipes but it has been scattered around the site. The recent "Stay Afloat" thread reminded me of it so I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread just focused on that topic.

On C-Cakes we carry a nerf football, rescue tape, kneadable plumbing repair epoxy and a plumbing repair tape that can be put on underwater. We also have a few of the thin flexible cutting boards that could be put on the outside of the hull and held in place with some of the above stuff. (Plus of course duct tape!)

What do others carry and how would you use the supplies?

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, We have the cutting boards, two 5/8 tarps with grommets, rescue and other tapes, about 5 tubes of 4200/5200, a few plugs, extra hose clamps, but most importantly, a ditch bag, lifeboat, and a solid insurance policy.

Seriously one of the reasons we pursued the Pudgy and worked at using it with our boat, was the question of what do we want to climb into if the boat is sinking, we are far from shore in cold water with a toddler, and the conditions are bad.

Thats where a well designed lifeboat/liferaft comes in to make us feel more at ease. And liferafts don't function as dingys worth a damn.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!

Not knowing that this thread would come into being, I just answered the questions that you ask on the Stay Afloat thread!

Nick
"Valkyirie"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C Dory hull is relitatively puncture resistant because of the balsa core. The outer layer is fairly thick, and penetration is avoided because of the shock absorbing quality of the balsa. Plus the balsa and inner glass liner prevent breaching of the hull.

Bilge pumps are a bit over rated. If I really wanted to move water I would use a gasoline powered 3" trash pump, or a diaphragm pump. We carried a double diaphram Whale pump on our long distance boats--a bit big for a C Dory, but it would move water, resist plugging (a common failing of the centrifical pumps).

I keep a 3700 Rule as a "rescue pump" on my boat with battery clips for use on other boats, or mine in case of an emergency. The Rule type of pumps will do OK--but remember that they are rated at 13.7 volts (not 12)
They are rated with smooth tubing and no head pressure:
see: http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html read the last several links on testing of various pumps.

We had occasion to use Splash Zone compound--when we hit an uncharted pinacle rock off Turkey. There was a fair amount of splintering of glass on the bottom of the keel (over 1.5" thick however so no danger).
That night I hand sanded (wet and dry #36 paper) and then preped enough Splash Zone two part epoxy to cover the area. It was backed by wax paper, cardboard and then 1/4" ply. Spanish Windlass rope tension was put all of the around the boat to pull this material into place. The next morning it had set hard, and 6 months later when I hauled the boat and ground out the damaged area, it was evident that the Splash Zone compound had worked into the crevices and was well adhered. The area was reglassed.

I have also see a number of hurricane damaged boats with large holes--from other boats or pilings, where plywood was roped in place, and then "Great Stuff" foam (which sets up under water) was sprayed in place. If you have ever worked with this, you know that it is very stickey, will expand and adhere well to almost any surface. Several spray cans will do wonders in saving a boat.

Duct tape is variable--sometimes it works very well--other times it is hard to get good adherence. But it is worth carrying. I am not sure how many nerf balls, or soft wood plugs to carry (but I have never had to use one)--thru hulls should have working sea cocks.

All in all the C Dory is a very safe boat and difficult to sink. Most of our voyages are within 100 miles of land, and rescue is usually quick if necessary. Trying to patch a boat in a seaway is not easy, and this is complicated if the water is cold, the seas are rough etc.

I once bought a boat very cheaply, because it kept sinking. I found the small hole in the centerboard trunk--which previous owners had missed. The repair was with epoxy from inside. I had to put in an epoxy, and then back it with wax paper, cut blocks and wedges to hold in place until the epoxy cured. I have worked with the solid bars of epoxy, where they are cut and then worked to catalize them. They may work in some situations, but I would have something like Splash Zone compound as a back up where you cannot get that to adhere or fill the void.

Years ago, when the Coast Guard was primarly a rescue agency, I watched a beautiful 55 foot ChrisCraft driven on a reef at Catalina. (Car dealer's son was driving)--and it tore the bottom, shafts, and rudders out of the boat. We pulled it into shoal water, and got two big logs under her chines before the Coast Guard arrived. The CG crew had plywood, some ring nails / screws, caulking compound and was able to cover the holes in the bottom of the boat, to the point where their pumps were able to keep up with the water inflow and towed her back to Redondo Beach.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a tube of this stuff in the bag today! Looks perfect for wet problems.

http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1321&id=downsized_0809111716&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely discussion!! I'm going to take a Damage Control Training course at CG Station Milhaven next Wednesday (just joining the USCGAux, as if I didn't have enough to do already Rolling Eyes ).

They have a big 40' container on a flatbed trailer rigged up as the inside of a ship/boat with all sorts of patching things to do. It's rigged with salt water pumps, pipes with splits in them, holes in the side, etc, etc. We're suppose to wear things that can get soaked, do you think they mean we'll get wet? Confused

I did this in boot camp in 1959 at Great Lakes and again in Mayport Fl whilst in the Navy. I think my dexterity has changed though. Should be challenging!!

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other things mentioned we have a wax toilet gasket for plugging holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: