The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stay Afloat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Stay Afloat Reply with quote

I just saw this on a fishing site and wanted to share. This looks like a very cool, inexpensive safety product to keep on the boat. Not that we would need it on our virtually unsinkable C-Dorys. Wink But you know what they say, better safe than sorry.

Stay Afloat

I'm in no way connected with this product. I just wanted to share.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with how well it stops the leaks in cracks on what looked like aluminum.
Tim & Dave Kinghorn

City/Region: El Dorado Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sound Venture
Photos: Sound Venture
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: I'm Impressed Reply with quote

Very, very impressive.

Where do you buy it? How much is it? Has anyone used it?

Tim & Dave Kinghorn

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tracked it a little on-line and found out it is a wax product (with polymers) it is touted as being for temporary repairs. Dr. Bob (thataway) has commented about it on the Hull Truth. It is about $10 for one of those 1/4lb tubs. While looking into it I came upon other "quick fix" things notably toilet rings which are mainly beeswax (I think). Several folks said they carry them. Not sure how beeswax would adhere but it sure is sticky. I carry a nerf football, rescue tape and a plumbing repair tape intended to fix leaking pipes. Hopefully these will all spend their entire lives under C-Cakes dinette seat never to be used.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's available at West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=214038&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10104&subdeptNum=10296&classNum=10298

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website says West Marine carries it.

And I've heard of the toilet ring as well, whihc would probably do a similar job.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,
Thanks for finding my post on "The Hull Truth" of about a year ago.

Here is my feeling at that time, and I would not change it:

The Redando Beach Harbor Patrol guy takes a long time to say very little. Apparently this is some type of wax (silly putty, silicone)--since it can be reused.

I have tried to stem small leaks in boats, and if they are more than a few inches below the waterline, the pressure just pushes out any material. I would wonder how effective this really is--the Infomercial doesn't really tell you.

I keep "splash zone compound" (Petit underwater epoxy), with duct tape, rescue tape, plywood and "Great Stuff Foam", as well as canvas cloths with grommets, and tapered plugs aboard long distance boats, to cope with any potential water intrusion.

Once water starts comming into a boat, it is often hard to find the source. It is also very difficult to reach many of the areas where leaks occur. I have seen salvage folks screw or ring nail thin plywood into the hull and caulk with an expanding foam like "Great Stuff".

Once you try and get under way, I fear that this material will be pushed back out of where you put it. Second--ever try and find a leak in a boat underway? It brings back some interesting times in my life when I had to do that, and repair it. I would rely on something more substantial.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed that all the leaks appeared to have virtually no pressure. Their site says it has been tested to about 19PSI, which, I think, equates to roughly 10ft depth (about .44PSI increase/ft). I'm skeptical that an inside repair would work with that much pressure. This thread has made me think about how I'd handle a hull crack/crunch and I think one of those flexible cutting boards, the kind that can roll up, with something to seal the edges and hold it in place might be the ticket. You would have to make the repair on the outside of the hull so water pressure would work for you instead of against you. I think the nerf football cut to shape would be a good emergency plug while you a readying a better external repair.

Barry and Patti on C-Cakes
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used that product or one similar to it years ago when I had a split hose on a head through-hull in my sailboat. It really worked great.

Another useful item that I have in our emergency gear aboard Valkyrie is a two part epoxy putty in stick form that sets-up/cures underwater. To use it, just tear of a piece and knead it for a minute or so to mix/actiavte. The activator part runs the length of the stick in the center.

Yet another emergency patch is fiberglass cloth impregnated with some goop (getting technical here!) that is activated by water and is said to set-up under water. The idea is to stuff a wadded up piece in a hole below the waterline. The one that I have currently is probably out of date and I should check on that. I'm not sure who makes it.

A selection of soft pine plugs for through-hulls rounds out our "hope-we-never-use-it" repair kit.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of TruPlugs on my boat:
http://bitterendblog.com/?p=4876

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the benefits of the C-Dory, in my opinion, is the low number of through hulls below the waterline. My 22 has just one, the drain plug, which is only about 8 inches below the waterline. Having so few potential points of failure that could lead to flooding greatly reduces the risk of sinking. Additionally, the threaded brass drain plug that C-Dory installed seems unlikely to fail, at least catastrophically. If if did, I think a simple Nerf football would stem the leak.

My bigger concern is cracking or puncturing the hull by hitting some kind of floating debris. Based on the extensive use of C-Dory's in the PNW, and the lack of reports of holing one, this scenario also seems unlikely. Any input on what the best damage control solution is for a major crack or hole in the hull? I've heard a sheet of canvas can be slung below the hull and slow a leak, but I'm not sure how well this would work in practice.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone have a recommended minimum bilge pumping capacity for a 22? I've got two 1100gph pumps and am considering replacing one with a 3700gph pump for emergencies.
colobear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to hijack this thread, that's already been done, but I just created a thread devoted to emergency hull repairs. Maybe I can get the wizards to move stuff there. That way we can find it in a year when we're scratching our heads about where we saw something! Smile
kevrangray

City/Region: Shingletown
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: C-Chief
Photos: C-Chief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curlew,

I really like the truplug! I'm going to go on the defender.com website and see if they sell them. If so looks like I'll be picking up a couple.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I keep "splash zone compound" (Petit underwater epoxy), with duct tape, rescue tape, plywood and "Great Stuff Foam", as well as canvas cloths with grommets, and tapered plugs...

I good list there, except I hugely prefer gaffers tape (no residue) over duct tape. I don't have Rescue Tape brand, but wouldn't go anywhere without a couple roles of elastomeric / self-amalgamating / self-fusing tape, particularly if there was any critical plumbing. I also carry a role of Lord Fusor tape, but I haven't used it as much as I'd figured.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: