View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Cabin, fitting-out questions. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

We're in the waiting stage of getting our 22 Cruiser and I was wondering if anyone knows the wattage of the cabin lights. Also, are they sufficient for reading, cooking and so on?

I was thinking of having the light over the galley replaced with a compact fluorescent model like we had on our sailboat. I'm also contemplating mounting two gooseneck reading lights in the v-berth, just inside the entry to port and starboard. Has anyone done anything similar?

How far do the interior cabin grabrails extend down from the overhead? Are they the same "height" as the ones on the cabin top?

A few questions that are not cabin related. Based on the advice of many C Brats, the dealer is going to install a bilge pump at the transom between the gas tanks. What model (gph) do you prefer?

One final question: having only seen the new 22 at the Baltimore Show, there are a few things that I missed or can't recall. On the new models with the two, twenty-five gallon gas tanks, do they extend further to the centerline of the boat, negating room for two, six gallon auxiliary tanks? If so, I'm wondering if, with a bilge pump mounted there, will there even be room for a single auxiliary tank.

As always, I appreciate your comments, tips and advice.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interior lights are GE 1004 and are 12 W. The 2 in the cabin seem to give plenty of light. There is only a single light of the same in the cutty cabin over the aft end on the port side.. I would prefer a second one one the starboard side for someone wanting to read there. In the 25 I have on order I am having the second one installed.

The distance between the two gas tanks is 27". I have installed a second bilge. Also the pump for the Bennet Trim tabs is mounted on the inside of the transom in that area. I think with the addition of somekind of protection to the two pumps there would be room under there for two 6 gal extra tanks.

The extra bilge pump is also 1100GPH. With the second one that is only 36 GPM which really isn't that much water. I also insisted on the pumps with the float switch and not the electronic ones. The latter cycles on every 10 minutes to "test" for water and then if there is any they kick on full speed. The constant cycling all night drives you crazy. On the 25 I am adding a second pump also and going with something more like 2K or 3K GPH.

I don't have the grab rails, but Pat on Daydream does and I remember them as being about the same as the ones on the roof.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:

Thanks for your reply.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick-

The Fluorescent lights come in a variety of configurations, but seem to mostly have either 8 or 16 watt tubes in them, either individually, or in pairs.

A single 16 watt tube will fill the entire cabin with about 5 times the amount of light as the factory incandescent bulb. Plus the color temperature is more pleasing (has blues and greens, not just reds and yellows). And, because it's more efficient, it's cooler in the summer.

I have one 16 watt fixture mounted up above the cabin door where it fits nicely out of the way (not a head-knocker), and thus lights the dinette table, the galley, and the rest of the cabin with one unit.

The fluorescent switch will have its own built-in switch, so you can wire it in parallel off the factory fixture so that you can use either one or both. That way you can still use the main switch at the helm, and have individual switches on each unit. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had two of the standard lights installed on either side of the v-berth at the factory. They provide plenty of light for reading but a gooseneck might be better as it allows you to direct it more. The incandescents in the main cabin are fine for cooking and reading and I personally like the incandescent light a bit better than fluorscents... but too each his (or her) own.

The one place I wish I had a light but don't is in the cockpit area..I'll probably add one this year.
Roger on the SeaDNA

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea of the gooseneck lights for the v-berth. I would look into the new lamps that use LED's. Saw some nice ones at the Seattle Boat Show. I don't remember the vender, but they had some small goosenecks. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I've used LED lights in several locations and have been impressed by the results. They consume very little juice, the only caution I would add is that the light they put out is more concentrated. Kind off like the difference between a spot or a flood, with LED being the spot style. The LED's also do not get anywhere near as hot as the factory lights.

"Chivita" Dave
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Les install a gooseneck light on the starboard side of the V-Berth as well as a gooseneck light off the upper helm shelf. I'm extremely pleased with both. (I have a red lens cover for the gooseneck over the helm which I can slip on if desired for night time cruising operations). A photo showing the gooseneck helm light may be viewed on page 4 of my photo album. (Additionally, this light can be "stretched" over towards the port side of the vessel and used as a night-time reading light for the individual sleeping on the "dinette bunk").
C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chivita
Could you give some details about the LED lights you are using. How do they mount, how many lights are needed compared to incandesant, and where did you find them.
Thanks
Terry

Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for LED cabin lights? Also, how many LED's are needed for a reading light?

Nick
"Valkyrie"
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put some carpeting on the floor in the cabin. I used the double stick tape but it does not seem to be sticking to the carpet. Anyone have any Ideas about what to use?

Also I have some boat carpet for he cockpit and I am wondering how to kept it in one place but still be able to take it out for cleaning. The carpet is on the factory floor boards.

I have new pics of this on page 3.

Thanks for any help?
Steve
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also works to just use a carpet type that has a stiff backing that won't roll up easily, and cut it so that it tightly just fits in the floor cavity with cutouts, notches, and small slits around the irregularities of the border, leaving it no room to slide around. Joe.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also sell carpet runners at Wally World that are exactly a perfect fit for the aisle of a CD22, no matting or tape required...more than a few people have found these.

dogon dory wrote:
The rubber matting designed for keeping rugs from moving around on hardwood floors. They sell it at WalMart (where else?)

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be more specific when I write these posts. The carpet in on the main floor is just fine between the cabinets. But I also put carpet under the table and cut it to fit the doors to get to the storage. I also cut little pieces to cover the step by the door where the bilgepump is. I am thinking I might just use a little silicone on the double-stick tape I put down. It sticks to the starboard but not the carpet. I don't need it permanent, just don't want it falling off every time I sit at the table.

Thanks,
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: