The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Bottom Paint Questions Reply with quote

Well, we're embarking on a new adventure this season. For the first time, we'll be wet mooring C-Dancer here in Seattle after 6 seasons dry storing mostly up north at Twin Bridges. Since we live in Seattle and we've done quite a bit of exploring in the San Juans and Gulf Islands, we thought it would be nice to have the boat in our home city. We're looking forward to hopping on the boat on sunny Friday afternoons and heading out to explore central and south Puget Sound or just have sit in the cockpit enjoying a sundowner this summer.

The boat's never been bottom painted and I thought long and hard about this decision. Because our boat has been stored primarily inside for the last five years, it looks practically brand new and the bottom is pristine. I talked to the factory about how they would tackle a bottom paint job and am very happy to report that they're excited to bottom paint our boat and they quoted us a better than fair price! I guess it helps to be an active C-Brat. Wink Based on what I've read on this great site, I've convinced them to add barrier coat as well as bottom paint.

Question: Should they paint the trim tabs as well? Also, there is no visible scum line on our very clean boat (thanks Twin Bridges), should I have it sit in the water for a few days before bringing it in? I'm planning to do the job fairly soon so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll have more questions regarding wet mooring in the near future.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had Lizzie's bottom painted up in Everett they launched it to get the proper line. Nice to hear you found moorage close to home.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are recommendations for Bennett trim tabs
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/pdf/instIcon/trimtab_installation.pdf

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we're not sure of the water line, we launch the boat, and with a permenant marker mark the water line at rest. We make small marks at teh aft of the boat, midship and at the bow. We then add one or two inches to be sure that the paint will be above the water.
360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02 worth. If the boat, even in the Great North West is going to be in the water for 6 mos, I think bottom painting it is a great decision. If you get any growth on the gel coat, it's a bear to clean it off.

Why wouldn't you paint the trim tabs, or anything else that's under water? I painted the trim tabs on Journey On and the crud that accumulates is easily washed off. I also painted the actuators, since they are touching water. After reading the Bennett instructions, I note that I put epoxy prime over the trim tabs as well as the bottom.

since you have already got a bid on painting the bottom, just make sure it includes cleaning the hull and ablative paint. The latter survives being dry stored. I put an epoxy barrier coat on, but am not sure if it's really needed, if the boat spends 1/2 the time out of the water. What's the bid say?

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I think you'll enjoy this new aspect; it's nice to be able to have the boat handy and in the water. And what a great range of places you have to explore!

Bottom paint is a must for any boat that stays in the water. Keep in mind that you may be loading your boat heavier for extended trips, so keep that in mind when you set your water line. I don't think you'd have to keep the boat in a couple days, but just mark it while in the water.

We did paint our trim tabs. The paint on the tabs doesn't wear as week as the rest of the hull, at least in our experience. I do scrub the bottom whenever I pull the boat out. As was mentioned, you will want a paint that remains effective when the boat will be pulled out to trailer or store. We went with Micron CSC for that reason. It has been effective in our warm waters and in the PNW on Wild Blue. See what the boat yard recommends, then ask around with other owners in the marina to see what their experience has been.

Since your boat hull is pristine, just one more note: you can expect some discoloration of the bottom paint at the scum line. With an ablative paint like Micron CSC, you can touch that up... or just know that the line is part of that experienced boat look. Wink

Enjoy!

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat has been in the water for 6 years with no issues. It is bottom painted of course with a non-ablative (not sure which one) and it holds up really well and is only the second coat in that time period. We have Bennett tabs and use a special bar zinc for those tabs and do not have paint on the tabs. They are the first part of the boat to get scummy but we have the boat cleaned by a diver every three months for around 80 bucks and they shine right up. He also changes those zincs but they can last up near a year in our current configuration. We just had our boat pulled for the first time in 18 months and the bottom looks great and won't need paint again for 1-2 years. It looked pressure washed to the service staff but was last cleaned by the diver in November. Less growth in the colder season though.

I wouldn't trade the water for a trailer for anything. So easy to use and much easier to maintain than one would think. (covered moorage helps)

I've run the numbers multiple times, and for us the water makes much more sense than the land.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse

Last edited by Aurelia on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Is the new moorage in salt or fresh water? You are going to love having the boat in the water close to home.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! Yes, we'll be keeping it in saltwater at Shilshole Bay Marina. We won't be trailering it much, maybe 2-3 times a year so we'll be using Micron Extra (ablative). We will put on probably 3-4 coats of barrier coat, probably the Interlux product plus at least 2 coats of Micron Extra if not 3 (depends how much paint we get out of the gallon).

As planned for now, the boat will be in the water all year-round, depending on how things go this summer. There's always the option to dry store for six months from October - March, we'll see. I guess since we do have a trailer and the boat launch is right next to the marina, I can still rinse the bottom off a few times during the summer.

More questions:
Greg-where can I find those zincs for trim tabs?
Anyone in the Seattle area-Does anyone have room on their property to store our trailer for a nominal fee? Actually, I have found a place but it doesn't hurt to ask if there are C-Brats with room.

Peter
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

These should be the zincs for those tabs.

http://www.boatzincs.com/bennett-trim-tabs.html

Greg
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another source is Reliance

Roger (Dreamer) posted

I found the Canadian distributor who claims the Reliance Zincs meet mil specs.
http://www.metaldist.com/index.php?page=pleasure

Roger
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

We spend about 9 months/year moored and have Interlux CSC bottom paint which is holding up well.
Last year for the first time we had a problem with barnacles under the trim tabs where I couldn't see the little buggers. Now they are a real PITA to remove. You can scrape and then use a sander but it will take forever. A "knowing" sailboat guy recommended getting some 100% Hydrogen Peroxide (Stuff in the stor is 3%) which is hard to find but is still sold as engine descaler.

That makes 'em fizz pretty good but it is evil stuff and you still end up sanding.

So, YES prep and paint them. If you go to the Interlux website they will give you three options. Good, better and best. But you have to use the right prep and paint for SS.

And Yes, they will also infest your actuators.

Ans Yes, you will need to prep an paint your depth sounder transducer with yet another witches brew which is fortunately available in a spray can at your favorite toy shop (and I don't mean Wally Mart).

The advice about galvanic separator is excellent.

Hope to see y'all out there

Merv & Kathy

Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Merv, I totally forgot about the transducer and water wheel. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I have a lot of little projects to do before putting it in the water. Very Happy

Peter
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

The good new is that if you have the "standard" P66 puck mounted off your stern (the boat that is) it is only a 20 minute job to get the silly little paddle wheel off and de-funk it with a sharp knife and sandpaper unless you happen to be named after an Irish saint and be a little green about mechanical thingy's. in which case the wheels will fall off your wagon.

ciao

M
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The central puget sound salmon will never be the same Laughing

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: