journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the slot on the Manson Supreme. they also offer a standard hole with which to attach the rode shackle.

Does anyone know if there are any problems if one uses the slot for the rode shackle? Will the anchor turn and set when the boat swings in the tyde?

Boris
baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, no practical experience with that anchor yet - new to us.
Directional change in pull on an anchor usually does not come 180 degr all at once. They may get yanked around, but usually stay buried. We have used Danforth, Bruce, Delta, CQR. Any of them may come out, but will also reset. We had a 35#CQR completely fouled with weeds and mud a couple of times in Maine - it would not reset but just drag on that ball of mess. If you are concerned about the shackle traveling up to the head in the slot of the Manson and pulling it out, I think, yes, that can happen. However, the anchor will then turn and reset - unless, of course, it is heavily fouled, which can happen with any of them. You can always use the hole if you like. We learned not to set in weeds, which are usually in shallower water. Go deeper, no weeds, better securiy. But, no, I don't think there is any hook that will give you 100% assurance of never dragging under any condition. That's what makes boating interesting!

Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the "slot" in the Manson Supreme I owned. I would look at this as any of the other "temporary" anchorage situations--and feel that it would not be wise to use this unless you are standing an anchor watch.

Yes, boats can reverse 180 degrees, and pull out an anchor--and I have seen it happen, even with all chain rode.

As for the loop of chain--pretty well described, except I have found that it is better to use the dinghy to drop the loop of chain down, and then you can pull the chain over the shank by going 180 degrees from the way that the boat is/was pulling. Dropping it from the boat directly over the anchor will be much less likely to be successful.

Another trick, with any cable or object, is to put a line or graple under the cable--take up the slack of the cable which the anchor is caught under with the boat/windlass, and then suddenly drop the anchor. Usually this will free the anchor from the cable. In Rhodes (Med) we hooked into a battleship chain which was a storm mooring down the middle of the med moors. We pulled the anchor up as far as we could with the windlass (2 speed= 3500 lbs of pull, and were depressing the bow of our 62 foot vessel. Then we dropped a line under the chain, took the load on the line,and rapidly dropped the 70 lb CQR, freeing it--then dropped the line/and chain. There are lots of harbors with chains, cables and even electrical or phone cables under the bottom ("Do not anchor...signs)--where anchors get hung up.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Manson Supreme but I have always used the hole, not the slot, to attach the shackle to. I think I went through this with Bob when I first got the Manson.

Thanks to all who explained the messenger chain process. I have seen the other device mentioned, with the ring or tube that slides down the rode, and which is attached to a small round fender from which a line runs back to the boat. I've heard that these were primarily for fisherfolk who hook into a big one while anchored and unhook themselves from the anchor and rode to follow the fish and then come back to the fender to retrieve the anchor. Not too practical with our typical C-Dory anchor arrangements.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now that we have a couple of captains with Manson Supreme anchors and losts of experience, may I please ask how well they works?

Al
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some questions about the Anchor Saver so I emailed the company.

My questions:

1. What is the size and tested breaking strength of the SS cable?

2. What is the material of the shear bolt?

3. What is the material of the swage on the cable?

4. What happens if the boat is anchored and the wind shifts, putting a sideways pull on the cable attachment to the anchor?

5. Does the warranty cover damage due to corrosion of the SS parts where they are clamped to the cable?

6. If the shear bolt shears or fails when not requested, and the boat drags ashore, do you accept any liability for the damage to the boat.

The answer:
Quote:
Larry,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I had to catch up after a four day boat show.

1. a) 16- 30' boat use 1/4" Stainless Steel 7x19 construction aircraft cable rated at 6700 pounds BLL.
b) 30' and above use 3/8" Stainless Steel 7x19 construction aircraft cable rated at 12000 pounds BLL.
c) Larger custom boats use 1/2" Stainless Steel 7x19 construction aircraft cable rated at 22,000 pounds BLL.

2. Brass Shear bolts are used on smaller boats and silicone bronze on boats over 30'. The Siicone bronze would have to be sheared to thin to use on small boats.

3. We use aluminum and copper swages, machine swaged.

4. Assuming the anchor is stuck and the boat is pulling hard to port or starboard our shear bolt is designed to handle more than the direct pressure put on most anchors. Meaning, that the shank of the anchor on most anchor under 50 pounds will bend easier than our pin will break. You may be surprised to know that common well known brands in the 44 pound and under classification will result in shank bend on a lateral pull under 1500 pounds. Our shear bolts in that instance would require 1850 pounds of pressure and higher to break the bolt.
Please refer to the Fortress table of pull pressure in various wind conditions. http://www.fortressanchors.com/safe_anchoring.html

The most important point is our concept of "Indirect Anchor Pressure". That simply stated means that when you are anchored there is no pressure on our shear bolt. You have to be over a stuck anchor and moving forward to apply direct pressure on the bolt. Because of the bolts measured strength, engine power will be required in order to apply enough pressure to break the shear bolt.

5. We will replace at no charge any cable that is showing signs of wear long before it would fail.

6. We assume no liability to the boat. Please advise me what Anchor manufacturer acknowledges liability to the boat if
their anchor fails. This is probably a typical warranty ....http://www.lewmar.com/support-warranty.asp

If you have any more questions please contact me at 239 272 8574.

Best Regards,

Peter Weinstein, President
Anchor Saver, LLC
239 272 8574

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, Good questions.

Harvey
SleepyC

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer baensch-ak
Before your joined the group--about 2 years ago I did a series of anchor tests. Test boat was a 18 foot Century with 115 Yahama outboard. I deployed a number of anchors, including a Delta, Manson Supreme, Northhill, 40 HT Danforth, Fortress etc. The Manson Supreme had the best holding of the group--and with full power forward I could not make the Manson drag more than a few inches, as it set in. (PVC pipe markers were used to see how much drag). The bottom was a combination thick mud, sand and a few shells in Perdido Bay. I then used that anchor for about 60 nights at anchor in all types of conditions--mostly on the West Coast, including Alaska, with no draging on a C Dory 25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: