View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Anchor Savor device query Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this device:

http://www.anchorsaver.com/Anchor_Saver/Home.html

[img]http://www.anchorsaver.com/Anchor_Saver/Home_files/MEMO0036.jpg
[/img]

It is called "anchor savor" and it looks like it makes sense to me, but I don't know if it is warrented in the PNW waters, or if it works or is worth the $99 for the size recommended for a CD 22. If is saved on anchor, one time It might be worth the price, but only if it works.

Opinions please.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I could not get both photos to come up. Not sure why after several tries. The web site has good photos and a couple of videos of the system.

Again, I'm interested in feedback. Is it worth it? Is it practical?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

page with video

It looks like it would work. I have done the same before with just a chain and heavy bailing wire. use a u bolt to connect the chain to the forward or base end of the anchor. then run the chain along the shank and connect the chain to the hole in the shank end with the bailing wire. about 5 wraps should do it . works the same way just not as cool looking.

C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same technique is used on the Columbia with those sand anchors. Connect chain to the crown, then use plastic zip ties to connect the chain to the eye. It saved me an anchor once when I got caught up on a rock near the Trojan stack while sturgeon fishing.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one on a tug its on a tug so may be if you post over at the tug nuts you can find someone that use it.
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a good idea,my only concern is that it may cause problems in launching and retrieving your anchor with the small anchor rollers on a 22 C-Dory.It might get jammed up in the roller but i would buy one if they worked.Tug
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey-

We've heard of this type of set up before, though it was done with several nylon wire ties or wraps of nylon twine.

RedFox used it up in Prince William Sound, as I remember.

It would be fine with an an anchoring set up for daytime fishing or light duty overnight anchoring in a protected area, but I don't think you'd want to use it in a storm anchoring situation or when you could expect big shifts in strong currents or winds, as it could release too easily at exactly the wrong time!

Most homemade set ups just continue the chain down to the crown, where it is shackled, then lash the chain to the anchor shaft with the wire ties or twine wraps.

That cable, while pretty strong (remembering all the data for strength vs diameter from sailing days), and depending on its exact size and construction, is nowhere near as strong as 1/4" G4 High Test chain or the 1/2" three-strand nylon anchor rope usually used on our boats (~7500 lbs tensile strength).

By the time I put enough ties or wraps on it to feel secure in a dangerous situation, it would be impossible to break free anyway.

But like I said above, as a fishing situation day anchor, lunch hook, or light duty anchoring situation in a protected area, it would be OK, but in that case, I'd make my own anyway.

It's a lucrative idea, but one with real limitations, and I'm not going to get hung-up over it right now, so to speak.......

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: anchor /nylon ties Reply with quote

When I'm Boating in an area I don't know I redo the anchor and use nylon wrap ties this will free the anchor so it can pivot and free itself .The only problem is ,it somtimes will free itself prematurely .I thought about getting this device but nylon wraps cost a few dollars vs $100 and they have many other uses . BTW I do keep an extra anchor on board if I lose one .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf Joe said:

Quote:
"It would be fine with an an anchoring set up for daytime fishing or light duty overnight anchoring in a protected area, but I don't think you'd want to use it in a storm anchoring situation or when you could expect big shifts in strong currents or winds, as it could release too easily at exactly the wrong time!

That cable, while pretty strong (remembering all the data for strength vs diameter from sailing days), and depending on its exact size and construction, is nowhere near as strong as 1/4" G4 High Test chain or the 1/2" three-strand nylon anchor rope usually used on our boats (~7500 lbs tensile strength).

By the time I put enough ties or wraps on it to feel secure in a dangerous situation, it would be impossible to break free anyway."

Joe, That was kind of my feeling too. If it will shear with enough pressure, whats to keep it from doing that under heavy load when you really need it to hold.

I have seen the chain loop sent down like a messenger, and pulled a anchor out that way. Think I'll stay with that if needed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Last edited by hardee on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with the group who feels that at night or any time that a secure mooring is necessary, any break away device is not wise. After many thousands of nights at anchor. I have never lost an anchor. I have had to use loops of chain to free one, and on two occasions had to dive on the anchor--but always got it free.

If I had to do this, I would either put a line directly to the crown (which I have done in several occasions), or use one of the systems using electrical ties only on a anchor where I was awake or standing anchor watch.

5/16" cable has a yield strength of 8,000 to 9,000 lbs--so it is plenty strong--the swage may be a weak point. I would be worried about the calibration of the shear bolt in the system pictured.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: anchor saver? Reply with quote

Good advice above! The question I would have to ask: How much pull does it take to break the bolt? How well will it go in and out of the bow roller (and under the bow) typical for C-Dory? Seems a bit awkward to me, but trapping the anchor is a legitimate concern, especially in remote coves that once were home to logging ops. Had to dive into some pretty cold water to get mine out.
Take a look at the Manson Supreme (New Zealand). New style, related to Rocna (New Zealand) and the German Buegelanker. The Manson has Lloyd's type approval for fast setting & holding and solves the problem of being able to pull on it in the opposite direction via a full length slot in the shank that allows the shackle to reverse. Put a 15 lbs on our Cape Cruiser 23 this winter (around 170 bucks), so no experience with it yet, but expect it to work very well, based on research.
Al Baensch

Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I have seen the chain loop sent down like a messenger, and pulled a anchor out that way.

Can someone please explain how this is done, what you need, etc.?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
baensch-ak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Chain loop to free anchor Reply with quote

Warren, I'll give it a shot. It's an old trick. You take a short piece of stout chain, place it around your anchor line (which leads down to an anchor that is stuck under something and you can't get it free), and fasten the ends of the chain together with a shackle. Then you knot a line to the shackle and let the chain loop down toward your anchor. (If no shackle, tie the ends together with the line.) Like a messenger, around your rode, as the guy said. Presumably, your boat's bow is pretty much right over the anchor, since you've been trying to get the beast up. Make sure your rode is snug and wiggle the chain over the shank of the anchor. Now slacken both lines and back the boat away a piece in the direction opposite from the one in which you set the anchor, paying out both lines. The idea is to get the chain around the anchor shank and get an angle on it that is opposite from the way the anchor was set. When you feel you have a good angle, pull on the messenger line with the chain loop on it. You might have to jerk it around a bit to get the shackle into the right place, and pay out more line to get a flat enough angle to get the anchor out from under whatever is holding it, while keeping the rode slack. If too hard, cleat it off and yank with the boat. This trick is good one and usually works. But you do need to have a piece of chain handy. One can also do that with a line, looped and weighed down with some fishing weights, but a piece of chain works best. Does that help? Al
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al beat me to it. But here's a web site that gives similar info with some pictures. Scroll down to the section on fouled anchors. The other material on the site is also quite useful.

Also, an alternative way to do this is to rig a separate trip line to crown of the anchor and to float the line with a small buoy while setting the anchor with the main line As long as the trip line is fairly short (e.g. depth of the anchor + possible tide change it won't foul the bottom and it can be used to retrieve it if needed.

baensch-ak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if unsure about the bottom, a trip line is an excellent idea. We've used yellow poliprop - it floats and is easy to see. Just don't back into it and wrap it around your prop. We bought the Manson because of great reviews and the slot that eliminates the need for the trip line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: