The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Run Down Battery
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Run Down Battery Reply with quote

When I ordered Linnea I got a single battery and no shore power. Jeff Messmer suggested that I get a portable jump starter if the battery ever ran low due to overuse at anchor (link below). I have since been told about a Battery Brain (link below) which cuts off battery draw when there is just enough remaining to start the engine.

What does everybody think? Does anybody have any better ideas?
Hope I managed to get the URLs in right.

Portable Jump Starter-
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/CatalogOrderSearch?sku=jump+starter&storeId=10101&catalogId=10101

Battery Brain-
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2349/c-10101
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22 I have two batteries. Always run with one and if you wake up in the morning with a dead battery switch to the other. I also have an automatic trikle charger about 1.5 amps if I remember which I installed and plug in to 110 when I am in the garage.

I would think about a second battery. I know Pat on Daydream (also with two batteries) has one of those emergency starter packs.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Battery Brain is USGC-approved. I know that Priority Start has an approved marine version. I have the "road" version on my Explorer which always has stuff connecting and will kill the battery if I leave it a couple of days.

-- Chuck
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Run Down Battery Reply with quote

I think Jeff Messmer is right. Get the Jump Start - I carry one, and have used it once for myself (to run the house, when I had some kind of switch problem) and once for a "cute little logo boat " aka Bambina (to start the outboard motor). I was glad I had it, and I am pretty sure Catman is glad I had it too. I never go out without it, even though Daydream has two batteries (and the new Daydream will have three). I would want the Jump Start even if I had the Battery Brain...
Gene&Mary wrote:
Jeff Messmer suggested that I get a portable jump starter if the battery ever ran low due to overuse at anchor (link below). What does everybody think?
Portable Jump Starter-
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/CatalogOrderSearch?sku=jump+starter&storeId=10101&catalogId=10101

Battery Brain-
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2349/c-10101

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
put in a second battery
And a digital voltmeter.

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with a Jump Start is that they don't hold a charge worth beans. So if you get one, plan on recharging it before every outing.
Al
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

What you said! "If you have a Yamaha you might want to just leave the engine idling all night to play it safe."

Keep your doors locked. RF will get you fer sure. And he ain't bringing Injun Candy...

Dusty

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, buy the Honda if you want an "Old Technology" carbureted automobile engine stood on end! Kind of like turning a Volkswagen Bug engine up on its tail and hoping against hope that no one will notice you've got a 35 year old (for Honda) automotive engine design that cries out for modernization if not total replacement!!! WHEN, OH WHEN, will Honda add Electronic Fuel Injection to these smaller (90 hp and below) engines to meet the newer upcoming EPA requirements??? Also, what's this 3 valve per cylinder business about anyway???

Incidentally, as far as battery charging goes, the Honda 90/75 have a 16 a amp alternator, the Yamaha 90/75 a 25 amp, and the Suzuki 90/75 a 40 amp! Better plan on running your Honda a few extra hurs at idle just to keep your batteries charged or buying an EU 1000 or EU 2000 generator ($900-$1000) to make up the difference! Now who's up running the putt-putt all night?

More to come, but I'll let Red Fox do some of the sharpshooting on this sitting duck!

Filling in for R/F for now, (with the new 2005 Yamaha EFI 90), Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Honda 90/75 have a 16 a amp alternator, the Yamaha 90/75 a 25 amp, and the Suzuki 90/75 a 40 amp
Johnson 70, 6 amps. Sigh.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck Joe,

I've had several EFI engines (even Hondas). They start when I turn the key and stop when I turn it off, just like the others. The best warranty in the world (as Dan tells me) is one you don't have to use.

It's true that carb engines have been around a long time, and I know of some with well over 5,000 warrantee-free hours. Not bad. EFI is okay with me, and my next engine has it, but I'm hard to convince that newer is necessarily better. The carb Hondas meet everything required for a few years, and you are right that they will go EFI. The EFI 135/150 with its lean-burn capability is a real jewel. Quiet, smooth, and super economical. No doubt the 75/90 replacement will be EFI too. With thousands of hours on Hondas I'll admit a bias because I've never had a warrantee issue. The only problems I've had have been owner induced - like leaving fuel in the carbs too long, or making them run on water.

I do like Honda's way of marketing. Millions of highway miles, debug, debug, debug, and finally go to market after lots of testing. Wish all manufacturers did that. And I like Yamaha too. Great motors, and I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my new 22 if the Honda and Johnson were not available so close to home.

I have a VERY friendly dealer! Wink

Dusty
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline,

That 6 amp charger on my 70 hp Evinrude has saved me a lot of money! Wink

When I think about adding any electrical device like radar, TV,stereo, etc. I don't do it because my alternator won't keep up. Angry

Dusty,

I too am waiting for your new boat so you can let us know how the Evinrude E-TEC 90 works out.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily my experience, but I do charge it before going out just to be safe, and after using it, I also put it on the 12v socket to recharge while underway. All said and done, I would much rather have a Jump Start that I don't need than not have one when I DO need it!
MOOSE wrote:
My experience with a Jump Start is that they don't hold a charge worth beans. So if you get one, plan on recharging it before every outing.
Al
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fox will be with us on this topic a little later so as not to disappoint his fans!!! Hope I wasn't too rude in commenting on the Honda vs Yamaha vs everybody else issue, but this has been a source of a lot of fun and good natured rivalry in the past and livens up the Pub a little! Now, to be a little more constructive.......

I'm thinking that one of the reasons Honda hasn't gone to fuel injection on the 75 and 90 hp engines might just be the Civic engine's 3 valve head which was designed to produce a stratified charge system. The engine has three valves per cylinder, one large exhaust, one large intake, and a small intake in a special chamber above the main combustion chamber that draws a richer fuel / air mixture from a separate part of the carburetor. The spark plug is in this chamber, and the richer mixture is ignited there and the combustion fire moves down into the main chamber to the leaner mixture, which results in an overall learner and cleaner burn. Pretty clever, but adding fuel injection to this set up might be pretty tricky, perhaps so much so that a whole new cylinder head and valve train arrangement might be required. I honestly don't know if this same head is still in production and being used on the outboards, but if it is, this could be the source of the delay. The 115 and up Hondas already have EFI, some with variable valve timing as well, and of course, 4 valves per cylinder. Anybody know any more about this? Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: