The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Side Window Replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter_BDA

City/Region: Bermuda
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Luna-Sea
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Side Window Replacement Reply with quote

Hey all, has anyone ever put in bigger side windows near the helm station? It gets pretty hot here in Bermuda and I thinking a larger window might help.....any ideas out there??

Thanks
Peter

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Peter! I don't remember reading about anyone putting in a larger side window. However, many 22 footers have an opening center front window. There have been a few boats that have added hatches in the roof. Others have added a/c units. Search around using the Google custom search , above and to the left, just below the masthead. You'll find some posts that will be of help. Keep your questions coming. Hopefully admin (Tyboo Mike and DaNag Bill) will set you up with a photo album so we can enjoy pictures of your classic and your beautiful island. Whether they can get you on The Brat Map or not, know that you are sincerely welcomed to our motley crew.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Marty said, you might get better results with other techniques.

You didn't say if you wanted it cooler under way or moored. Speaking in very general terms you can either reduce the sun load (think awnings and even a Safari roof like on a Land Rover), add direct cooling, or increase ventilation to make it feel cooler.

So..if you're talking about running, then you'll want to do the front-opening window. In fact, you might even contact Diamond windows about getting custom opening windows for the other two forward panes - and maybe even sliding windows in the rear bulkhead!

A larger side window would (IMHO) only help if you had a breeze from the side AND a corresponding larger opening on the opposite side to allow the breeze to blow through. My gut feel is that the gain would not be worth the effort. There was one other thread where I believe someone raised their entire roofline, and I think that meant larger windows all around (I forget). An enormous undertaking.

Another technique to consider may be mesh coverings that button _outside_ the windows to keep the direct and reflected sun out - they will also make the interior less bright which will make it feel cooler.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider adding the opening front window as Marty recommends and a window that slides down on the cabin door (or just leaving the cabin door open). That will provide good ventilation while moving forward. At anchor or at the dock, you might consider adding active ventilation using the hatch in the V-berth. There are both fans and air conditioners that can be purchased to fit over the V-berth hatch. West Marine sells aircons that fit. I think you could also find an appropriately sized box fan (either 12V or AC if you have shore power) and make a box to set over that hatch. Finally, there are also fan assisted vents that you might consider mounting in the roof. Some are even solar powered. Getting the heat out from the top could really help.
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice! The center opening window definitely sounds like a winner along with the hatch on the roof. Since I can't hang out the side window like a sloppy Alsatian maybe I'll be able poke my head out the top hatch!!! Getting a higher view is essential here navigating around the reefs and shallows.

Keep the great ideas coming. Pictures to follow soon.

Rgds
Peter
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At anchor there is a fan called the "endless breeze"--basically the same as the Fantastic fan, used in RV's--which is 12 volt powered and relitatively low amperage draw.

I have used both mesh screen on the outside (like Texiline), or shade mesh from the Home Depot type of store. On the inside, I use foil/bubble type of insullation, which substantially cuts down the sun temperature inside.

You should be able to retrofit an opening window. On the top, a 16" x 12" hatch may also help--but remember if you get a clear plexiglass unit, the sun will shine thru, and increase the heat. You can also made sun shades which go over the foredeck and side decks out of Sunbrella. The fore deck shades can have a rope down the center and attatch on the sides to the bow railings. Side shades, can use PVC pipe to hold them out and give visor effect.

I am sure we would all enjoy stories of your C Dory Cruising in Bermuda. We enjoyed several weeks there as we staged for our trans Atlantic passage in 1984.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: fan Reply with quote

Just bought a Endless breeze what a fan $69 at a RV show This (12volt)fan throws out more air then most 110volt fans .
Like Dr. Bob says get curtains ,front window , and maybe a bigger battery to run the endless breeze fan ?

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Peter_BDA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Guv Reply with quote

Interestingly the original owner of the boat (several owners ago) was the British Governor of the island and was called quite appropriately, "Guv".

If anyone is passing thought this way, drop me line and I'll C-Dory you around! Smile

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: