The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

East Coast Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.... our options are numerous... Just got an update, and I have to be in Ft. Rucker, AL on Wednesday, 27Apr05 for final out processing... But, planes fly there if I end up somewhere that a one day drive could not fix. The good news.... is that I will VERY SOON now start my one-day-a week work schedule to use up my leave. I have to very soon turn in my final leave plan. This will be very interesting how this pans out... But, for sure be there in Nashville.... and where ever we end up for about thru 15Apr05. Will take this info home tonight as to allow Sherryl to have input... Even if she is not able to join me on this run....if Momma ain't happy.....ain't nobody happy.... I may just leave the boat at Moms or Mikes on the Cumberland River in Mt. Juliet, TN for a month or two around Apr/May/Jun/Jul and just see where the tides of time take us...
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny --
Great!! What fun to do some thinking and planning together. We've been thinking that if we are in the KY/TN lakes for the Gathering and for some extended cruising in that wonderful area afterwards, it might be getting a little too late to go down Tenn/Tom to Gulf, over to FL, south to the Okeechobee 'sneak,' back up the east side of FL, and GA and still have enough time to really poke around the Carolina Sounds and environs before heading up to the Chesapeake. What do you think?

We don't like to rush our cruising, and enjoy putting along just at 12 k and exploring side trips, watching birds, munching in good restaurants, and swinging on the hook in good anchorages. We usually stop in marinas just for fuel, resupply, and the occasional overnight for shower, shore power recharge, etc. We prefer the hook. If you have a different pattern, we can cruise together separately (you in the marinas at night, we on hook, radio contact off and on to share experiences and ideas, etc.) We've done this cruising style with others and it works fine, or we can be more closely 'linked' on the cruise. We can talk it over.

Anyway, we're beginning to think it might be better, after the time at the Gathering, to trailer over the mountains and splash in the Carolinas. Nothing fixed in our mind, and open to any ideas.

We also want to be up near Chestertown the first weekend in June (for the Gathering) so our timing should co-incide with your desire to be in Annapolis at end of May.

Any others who might want to kick in ideas about this East Coast Cruise -- either with thoughts for us, or perhaps have an interest in joining all or part of the cruise?

El and Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David (Alma's Own) --

It would be great to meet up with you and your grandson along the route north. Do you have some ideas of where to launch in the Carolina Sounds and perhaps leave truck and trailer for awhile? And then, as you suggest, leave a truck up near the Chesapeake Gathering (perhaps at Terraplane Tom's place) so we can use that vehicle to return to the truck(s) left on the Carolina Sounds.

Are you going to the Nashville Gathering?
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill (Halcyon): I won't be able to make Nashville. My plans are to trailer from Richmond to the Florida Keys, and spend three weeks there with three different crews. We all want to get as far south as possible to warm up our tired bones. Nashville does sound like a very fun trip, though, and I'd be very tempted had these plans not been put in the works.

As for the Carolina Sounds, my daughter lives in New Bern, and boats out of Oriental. I know of good launch sites at New Bern (N35 06.298, W77 02.115) and Beaufort (N34 42.567, W76 37.925), and could find one at Oriental. I'll be talking with her today, and will confirm that she could find a secure place in those parts for your truck and trailer. Do you have an approximate launch date?

There's a possibility that I'll put in somewhere in that area, and head north to the east coast get together with my grandson. Although my wife won't be able to get away for much cruising, she's going to try to join us for the get together weekend by taking the train out of Richmond. I might pre-position a vehicle and trailer at the northern end, and if so, could help on some transportation back south. Won't know about that for a little bit, but will keep you posted.

New Bern is very charming. Launching there would require a long haul down the Neuse River, but allow a stop at Oriental (very nice place, with free dock, lots of ice cream, big sailing center), connection to the ICW at Adams Creek, or continued cruising to Ocracoke.

Launching at Oriental would be about the same as launching at New Bern, but cut off most of the Neuse River passage.

I'd recommend you put in at Beaufort. It's not that much more of a drive, and you have three options from there: north along the ICW via Adams Creek, north through Core Sound (allows an overnight at Lookout Bight (N34 36.827, W76 32.108), which can be reached by either inside or outside passages), or north to Ocracoke on the outside, also by way of Lookout Bight, if you prefer. If you're at Lookout Bight, you can backtrack to Adams Creek without too much loss of time.

You could also put in at New Bern, come down the Neuse to Adams Creek, down Adams Creek to Beaufort, and then north to Ocracoke.

Plan to linger at Beaufort. Free tie up while shopping (N34 43.014, W76 40.008), lots of good ice cream, and very charming.

I mailed you a CD yesterday with routes and tracks in this part of the world, and hopefully that will assist in your plans.

Let me know what I can do to help.

David

El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David -
Good information, and we'll check out your suggested launch sites when we have your CD and tracks into the computer. Timing is indefinite yet, since we are co-ordinating with others, but looks like the last week of April or the first week of May.
We could help by prepositioning our rig near Chestertown, with an assist back from you, if that would help.
Your information on proximity to ice cream shops is spot on -- as you well know, those of us cruising without a refrigerator have an obsession with ice cream!
Thanks for the update, and odds are we will be heading to the Carolina Sounds after the Nashville Gathering, launch at one of your suggested sites, and we can do some cruising north together. Outside odds, we will have launched farther south and be cruising northerly on ICW and intersect with you in the Sounds. (can you tell we're Nevadans? -- we put odds on everything).
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

We’re aiming for Nashville and a cruise afterwards. Here come the questions.

When do you plan to leave the area?

What waters might we reasonably visit after the Nashville gathering?

Do you know a good source for paper charts? Cruising guides?

Our electronic charting system is the Raymarine C 80. It takes Navionics Compact Flash cards. After I hear from you, I’ll check to see if they have a card for the region. I also have the Captn, which uses a computer and Maptech CDs. The latter is not as handy but the display is better. I’ll see what they have.

If we will be going through locks, I’d appreciate your thoughts on lines and fenders.

Have you decided on a place to leave the vehicle and trailer?

We like to collect sights and experiences along the way to our next pretty and safe anchorage. It is nice to arrive a few hours before sunset, set up the chairs, gaze awhile into the middle distance, and enjoy a glass of wine. Life is good. Add pleasant company and life is even better.

Looking forward to good and better.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
El and Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny --
Great to hear that you will be at nashville and cruising afterwards. To answer questions:
1. When do we plan to leave the area? We don't have any fixed schedule, but will want to cruise the Cumberland/Tennessee Rivers most of April.

2. What waters might we reasonably visit after the Nashville gathering? a)One could cruise southerly down the Tenn/Tom, but might be getting a little warm for that. b) The Ohio is a wonderful cruise if you want to either trailer up to the top end or just drop through the locks out of either the Cumberland or Tennessee, take a hard turn to starboard, and trundle up river and back down to the start. c) We are thinking of trailering over the mountains to the sounds of North Carolina -- great cruising inside the Outer Banks. Then, could continue up through the Dismal Swamp and into Chesapeake.

3. Do you know a good source for paper charts? Cruising guides? We'll have to look up our sources for those and get back to you. There are great fishing maps for most of the lakes along the Tennessee/Cumberland that sell for about $5 apiece. The channels are well-marked since they are navigable for tows -- charts are most needed coming into anchorages.

4. Charts? Our charts are Garmin, and the Fishing Hot Spots chips (East and Middle) cover some of the lakes. Don't know about Navionics or Captn charts for that water, but others might help you with those.
If we will be going through locks, I’d appreciate your thoughts on lines and fenders.

5. Have you decided on a place to leave the vehicle and trailer? the two Byrdmen have places available for the Nashville Gathering and a launch ramp nearby. I'm sure they will post detailed directions as time comes closer. We plan to park and launch where they say.

Sounds like you folks like to cruise like we do -- no itinerary, relaxed, weather-dependent, and see the sights and critters. Great to hear that you guys are coming and look forward to seeing you at the Gathering.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

I notice that Halycon and Wanderer are the only two boats registered for the Nashville gathering. The Byrdman has been out of the coop since 8 Feb. Will you still cruise the area, at that time, if no one else chooses to do so?

My investigation suggests three types of information should be aboard.

1. Quimby’s Guide. It can be purchased from Heartland Boating for $39 plus shipping.
http://www.heartlandboating.com
2. Paper Charts. The Corps of Eng. Shows 62 charts for the Cumberland River. http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/CumbRiver/cumbmap.htm
I think, I can print them myself. Click on one of the numbers and you will get a PDF chart. I assume the same can be printed for the Tenn. River.
3. Navionics Chip(s): Two chips cover the inland waters. Do I need both to cover the expected cruising area? They are sold this way at $200 each: http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?ContinentID=5&RegionID=37&ChartSizeID=6
or this way at a smaller price:
http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?ContinentID=5&RegionID=37&ChartSizeID=2

I’m always interested in meeting C-Brats but am most interested in cruising with them. Since South Florida is a prime cruising area, I would not leave it at the end of March to cruise elsewhere except to do so with like minded cruisers.

If it is still a go, I need to place some orders. Any help in narrowing the coverage needed will hold expenses down.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny --
If the creeks don't rise, we are planning to be at the Nashville Gathering and plan to stay on for some extensive cruising on the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers afterwards. We hope to arrive about the 1st of April and cruise until about the last week in April. I know of two boats from CA planning to come to the Gathering and cruise afterwards.
Quimby is always handy, paper charts are good to carry, and I don't know anything about navionics chips (we use Garmin, and I know that the east and central fishing maps cover many of the reservoirs along the rivers). We have an old Quimby that would probably work for marinas, etc., and that would save some money for you.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

I placed orders for paper charts, one Navionics chip (Southern Rivers) and Quimby's. Look forward to seeing you there. I hope more info will be posted on how to get to the rendezvous.
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: eastern shore of maryland, June 3,4,5 Reply with quote

I keep jumping around on the various threads and find mention of our first ever gathering.

Now look, seriously, it is your obligation to come and support this fledgling group of 'brats tryng to establish a new point of pride for C. Dory(and just remember, those left coasters are watchiing to see if we can do it!) just kidding.

We are hovering around 15 boats...love to all of them..You can catch the aroma of crabs steaming, maybe a fish fry, good company, a bano ringin' in the night, lots of lies about fishing (we are famed for that), and the hospitality of the 'Shore. Y'all come.

tom, terraplane
El and Bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom --
Looks like at least three eastern states Gatherings in the offing:
1. Nashville Gathering in early April
2. Eastern Shore Gathering in early June
3. Erie Canal (Northeast Gathering) in September.

As our friend Pat Byrd might say, "EEEEHAAAA"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: