The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

East Coast Cruise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: East Coast Cruise Reply with quote

How best to cruise the east coast this spring?

1. Launch in the south (maybe from KY, after the Nashville Gathering) and cruise northerly along the ICW on our own 'bottom' heading to the Great Lakes. Then, maybe return southerly in the fall to the truck and trailer.
Advantages: no worries about launch ramps or finding safe places to leave the truck and trailer. One-way routes only. The 'fun' of completing the Great Loop.
Disadvantages: more expensive for fuel, since truck mileage is better than boat mileage and fuel ashore is less than at marinas. Harder to get servicing for engines without a trailer.

2. Trailer to key spots, launch and cruise a few weeks in a 'great place,' then return to the start, fire up the truck and go trailering off to the next 'great place.'
Advantages: Less expensive fuel costs. Time on the water just in the 'great places,' like St. Johns River, Carolina Sounds, Chesapeake, etc. Timing to Gatherings or other events easier with land transport.
Disadvantages: Need a good ramp (and safe place to leave truck and trailer) at each 'great place.' Most routes are round trip to get back to the truck and trailer.

Anyone care to share thoughts?
Anyone along the Great Loop care to share ideas of the best 'great places?'
How about ideas for launch ramps and/or places to leave the truck. Anyone care to do it?

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about ideas for launch ramps and/or places to leave the truck. Anyone care to do it?

We're still a few years away from doing cruises (elderly parent) but that point - where to leave the truck? is something I've wondered about and read your adventures with care while looking for pointers. With a camper, I suppose one could store at an understanding RV park (for a fee, of course) but I also wondered about RV storage lots? Will they store on a weekly rate? Some are fairly inexpensive when one considers the overall cost of a cruise anyway.

As a beginner, I would probably stick to the two way trip before taking the bigger risk. El and Bill, you two have the most cruise experience here, so I'll ask you. How long after your first cruise in 2000 did you make your first one way trip and what's the ratio between one way and two way today?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

We are interested. The area between Marathon and Annapolis seems a good bet. Penny and I have been discussing cruises that we might make on the way home. The N. Carolina Sounds and the St. John’s River are under consideration. The Chesapeake Gathering is also of interest. When do you expect to be on the East Coast of Florida?

We’ve also been discussing what we might do this summer and fall. All plans have included a week here and a week there to visit children and grandchildren near Annapolis. We had thought to hook Wanderer to the RV and head for Nova Scotia. However, your loop sounds interesting. Do you have any good internet info on the Loop. I haven’t even googled it yet.

In both scenarios, Car A and Car B seem to give the greatest bang for the buck. Yet, all the way by water has an unmistakable sense of accomplishment to it.

We would like to be in Annapolis by the end of May. Does that work for you? I’m trying to sell our sailboat – Vamoose and need to make arrangements for someone to show it. See: www.2sail.net.

As for the Loop, more thought is needed. Please keep in touch.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com

Last edited by Wanderer on Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: chesapeake Reply with quote

El and Bill,

We'd be happy to have you park the truck on our field. Very safe, in the country. just across from our house. There is an excellent county ramp a mile from our house.

I'm hoping the Eastern Shore Gathering.."Kids,Koolers, Dogs and C.Dorys" will fall on June 3-5..

tom
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary and Don --
The one-way option means there is an alternative way to return to the boat, other than by boat. We have done one-way trips using a rent car to return to the start (once), 'hitched' rides with boaters, friends, or family many times, and often plan on a return by water cruise only to find, by serendipity, a way back to the boat with new friends. Sometimes (this past year on two lakes of the Columbia River, and on the Arkansas River) we have hop-scotched vehicles with a C-Dory friend with whom we cruised in tandem. So the ratio -- well, about 50-50 and not much difference from our first years cruising on Halcyon until now.
On our sailboat, we didn't have an easy trailering option, so then did the Great Loop all on the water (didn't even own a land vehicle for years).
Finding a safe place to launch and leave the truck is a problem, whether traveling one-way or round trip (in fact, one way hop-scotching with another vehicle requires two safe places with good ramps). We try to note each ramp we have used for launching on each of our tales on our Halcyon website. Fingers crossed, we have never had a problem with our left-behind camper and trailer yet, but one never knows. Leaving at a friend's place is the best, for peace of mind, and C-Dory owners have been (and still are) generous in their offers, if they have the space.
Hope this helps somewhat -- certainly, RV parks and storage facilities will mind a vehicle for a charge, and we have occasionally left our t&t at a marina, usually for a small fee. However, if we cruised the whole loop on the water only then that small fee (for six months) might add up and the odds of a problem with the vehicle would potentially compound.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George and Penny --
We wil be at the Nashville Gathering on Old Hickory Lake in KY the first of April. We will be on those rivers for a week or two. Then ... well, we could come down TennTom to Gulf, east to FL, cross mid-FL, and then up the east coast ICW. Or ... could trailer to points east after the KY cruising, and maybe cruise St. Johns River, Savannah area, Carolina Sounds, Dismal Swamp, and Chesapeake.
Summer?? Well, there's the Erie Canal, canals in Canada, North Shore of lake Huron, North Shore of lake Superior, some of the big lakes in Manitoba/Ontario?? Then, down the Missouri River from Sioux City to Ol' Miss.
Fall?? Well, there are some fine lakes on the Upper Missouri and Arkansas/Missouri have some real beauts.
Goodness -- so many wonderful places, so little time. We're kinda footloose and, except for the KY Gathering and some time afterwards on the rivers, we have no fixed plans. Tempting???
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill & El, et al...

Oh, Oh, Oh, all this talk gets my blood-up. When (if...) I grow up, I want to be Halcyon...............

This is a very pertinent topic. Thank you. I have been considering alternatives and routes for the summer as well. We hadn't been talking/planning for the Great Loop, but are still planning to spend a good while (2-3 months?) on the north end (canals, etc.). At this point we don't honestly know how much ground (er...water) we'll cover.

I like the "loop" idea. It seems efficient; versus out and back...well, you get the idea. Unlike last summer's Alaska trip, this one seems very Unplanned! During the final part of last summer's trip (Sitka to Prince Rupert) I discovered the downside of overplanning. After two months of delightfully relaxed "cruising," I set-a-plan, only to find myself driven to meet arbitrarily-set goals. Does that make sense? (In retrospect, I felt rather foolish.)

This summer I am (...with the Admiral's approval) taking a decidely-more relaxed approach. We'll leave Arizona, head east-by-north, enter Canada somewhere, and when we get to big water, launch. Hmmm...come to think of it, maybe I DO need to hone that up a bit, there's a LOT of big water up there!

As you can see - routing is still up in the air. An interesting mini-Loop site is at: http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/great-loop/2002-January/000490.html The site suggests five "mini" loops, and some of them aren't very "mini!"

This is Fun.....

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill, George and Penney, and whomever else:

Alma's Only, with my 4 year old grandson aboard, might be able to join you either at or around New Bern, NC on the Pamlico, or Norfolk, VA, and head north along the Chesapeake. We could either drop a vehicle and trailer off at the destination of the East Coast Gathering, or would need to leave the boat there, while we take the train south to get the vehicle and trailer, and return north for the take-out.

I've got good Garmin routes and tracks for this area (Charleston, SC to Atlantic City, NJ), including the Dismal Swamp and alternate Virginia Cut, a number of inlets in NC and SC, and an offshore track from Cape Lookout, NC to Ocracoke, NC. I'd be happy to send these to you for whatever use they might be.

All of my chartplotter maps are ones for which I've purchased release codes (that is, none are on Garmin factory chips), or I'd offer their use to you.

Keep us posted if you want company.

David on Alma's Only

El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some time frames? (Not detailed planning, Casey, just a rough concept, OK?)
April - KY lakes and Rivers
May - Carolina Sounds (maybe with a link cruising to the Sounds from perhaps as far south as Florida, with a bit of 'sightseeing' around Savannah.
June - Chesapeake Bay, and environs.

Possible Participants (for all or parts): Naknek, Alma's Only, Byrdman, Wanderer, Halcyon

All ideas about times and participants open for suggestions. Looks like some cruising time together.
Casey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect to see some of you some up North this summer - just don't know who, or where (yet).

I'll get home March 31st. Then we take delivery of a truck/camper about mid-April. That will require some attention, a shakedown trip, then return to (AZ) to get Naknek and head east.

We'll be monitoring progress of the various boats, and may be able to join-in for part(s) of the trip; we'll just have to wait and see. Likewise, we will be checking-in on the website from time-to-time with cruise notes, and hope to cross paths with C-Dory's along the way.

Promises to be a fun summer!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey --

Looks like the April Gathering is out for you, unless you stop by on the way to AZ and Sandy joins you in Nashville -- can celebrate both you and Pat mustering out of duty. You can stay in our camper at the Rendezvous, we'll 'camp' on the boat.
Then, after your check out of the new truck (congrats!!), looks like May, June, etc. are perhaps open. Carolina sounds -- visit Kitty Hawk, the Dismal Swamp, Outer Banks, Ocracoke ... Then in June, Chesapeake -- the Eastern Shore, Williamsburg, Potomac River, Chestertown ... Hmmmm!
Casey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with that scenario is my return to AZ will be on an airplane, so rather difficult to divert to Nashville, but thanks for the offer!

Oh, we'll be catching-up with you somewhere for sure!

You can run; but you can't Hide!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, Airplanes land in Nashville too....grin.
All my post 1st weekend in Apr05 plans are deployment driven at this time. Not sure when the drop dead date on me picking up a tour is going to be. Bottom line, no pun intended, is about $600 a month for the length of retirement, and enough "cash flow" from the deployment vs. retirement as a Major in Apr05 to clear the Excursion...and that would be sweet. My fun meter is peaking with the military and way 100% focused on setting it all down.....till the DA promotion list came out.. If it was meant to be it will happen. Either way, I have a great boat and tow vehicle and can be talked into boating travel anytime.
TO FOLLOW UP ON HALCYON STAYING AT FRIENDS HOMES/HELPING ALONG THE WAY..... BE SURE THEY ARE NOT REMODELING.... The only day in 11 years at my house they had all water shut off was the day El really wanted to lay back in a nice hot bath, wash a few clothes and just run her feet thru some carpet after a two week run ending on the Alabama River here in Montgomery, AL.. I promise El.... I do have indoor plumbing.... Byrdman
El and Bill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat --
What's indoor plumbing?? Oh, I know, a porta-potty inside the cabin.! El
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill,

Quote:
We're kinda footloose and, except for the KY Gathering and some time afterwards on the rivers, we have no fixed plans. Tempting???

Yes.

We haven’t done much but consider options since this thread started. Still haven’t settled on a plan for the April-May period. We’re even thinking about giving up our South Florida circle and towing up to Nashville for the gathering. Then, we’d cruise the area for a week or two afterwards. We wouldn’t come back to Marathon. Instead, we’d hook up and head for another spot somewhere on the coast between the St. John and Albemarle Sound. We still plan to be in Annapolis by the end of May.

Now, if you decide to cruise down to the Gulf, we could start up the Florida west coast and meet you in Tampa Bay, turn south, and at Ft. Myers, cross the Okeechobee Waterway together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: