The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sucky Site Performance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeWPHrEEK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start out by saying I've been viewing this site regularly since its inception. I also have visited the other site that's out there and find them both to be full of nice people and some wonderful information.

I'm relatively new to C-Dory's but I've been on a couple and I find them to be Great Boats. I may eventually end up getting one. I'm thinking maybe a 25'er but I figure that's a long ways out for me.

Now to the point. I've been floating around these web sites and witnessed what went on way back when.
Quote:
But pardon my ignorance. I've seen, on occasion, a reference to something being "poobed". Could someone explain that term to me? I'm not sure I understand it in today's language.

KenMcC, I'm not sure why after so long you feel the need to bring this up. Especially in such an insidious manner. It seems like you are trying to bait the administrators of this site into defending their actions. What's funny is that nobody asked your opinion of the term 'poobed' yet you feigned ignorance only as a vehicle to express your dislike for it almost trying to make yourself a victim here.

Now if I were to have a problem with the term 'poobed' then I may start a post simply asking if we "could refrain from using this term as it may alienate certain members of our community" then put it to a vote.

However I wouldn't do this as I feel anyone willing to go along with being called "Grand Poobah" is entitled to every single bit of razzing they will receive for it. The use of Poobed, as I see it, seems fitting given the events. I also find it funny.

Now to put this in perspective. Having turned this thread from a statement of the speed of the web site into your personal problem with the administrator(s) how would you feel if all your posts were deleted from here and your access was revoked by some guy called "The Supreme Allied Commander of Bratedness" Then, say, that same person went on to almost completely destroy the community of people through his actions.

Now as I see it, while using the term Poobed is a slight on your friend, it is also recognition. Because without the Grand Poobah's tyrannous actions this site might not be around. So In retrospect I think the term should be used here to remind those who know of the origins of such a great site.

Quote:
Bottom line.......The riff was an unpleasant time for a lot of folks, but reminders continue to pop up here. Personally, I'm hoping for the day that they go away entirely.

You say the riff was an unpleasant time. Well that's understandable. I know how much other people's issues on these darn internet forums affect me in my life. I mean you're on here and you're upset with TyBoo and Da Nag for insulting Poobah and they are almost picking on you, It's just been driving me crazy all day. I can't get any work done and you know I'm not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight. It's creating a most unpleasant time in my life right now.

My wife is outta town, My 9 month old has a cold and is teething, my job has slowed down and my state has the highest unemployment in the country, I got buddies in Iraq and Afghanistan, There's hundreds of thousands dead in and around the Indian ocean. AND *gasp* They said POOBED.

OK I see your point. I guess my priorities must be a little outta whack.

Can we all just go back to boat tips, meetings, beers, stories and jokes (since I think this one's played out) and forget about these petty things.

Ken it really looks like you were baiting these nice people into an argument in "their house" and that's rude. At very least you can take solice in that they seem agreeable to allowing you your opinion without repercussion.

Hope my post doesn't get poobed. I know It's not entirely nice but wasn't trying to be mean. I just find the issue funny with how seriously it is taken. I know my Ma sure takes her forums serious too. Maybe I just don't get it.

~PHrEEK
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmen brother!!
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, DeW. Welcome to the group.
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well stated, WPHrEEK,

And some very good advice, as well.

What is missing here is the fact that for the past two years, I have been requesting that the ridiculing of Dale be discontinued, in the interests of moving forward.

What I was hoping for, was, at least privately amongst the earliest C-Brats, something like "OK guys, we've gotten our digs in, but let's move on".

Two years later, no such choice has been made on Admin's part.

And understandably so. They were hurt. But so was Dale. They absolutely refused to comply with Dale's request for discipline and organization on HIS website, and argued that he had no right to control their actions on a so called "public" forum.

Dale built one heckuva great website, based primarily on three things: A tremendous love for C-Dorys, a really well thought out and forward-thinking format, and a strong discipline to maintain that format, for the benefit of all future users. (And when Greg, Mike, and Bill went off on their own, that format was copied almost precisely).

Each time that Dale requested that the original Brats comply with the basic rules of his (privately managed) website, they thumbed their noses at him, made jokes and originated the "poobed" word by capitalizing on Dale's lighthearted "Grand Poobah" designation.

But that (understandably) is not included in any of the accounts of this debacle.

Once the BRATS (and I emphasize that word, because they chose it very deliberately) spun off, they ultimately got banned, for various reasons, all of which stemmed from them thumbing their noses at Dale, and deciding that he didn't have the right to run his website the way he wanted.
(Hence, the Policy Statement on my current C-DOG site).

The Brats started their site up, and I joined it, only to see the beginnings of Greg, Bill, Tyboo, and others have their little jokes at Dale's expense. It bothered me, and I let Admin. know, to no avail.

I had a conversation with Dale, and told him of some of the
unpleasant comments that were being joked about on the Brat site. He was deeply hurt, stated that he was just plain tired of this crap, and ultimatelyh pulled the plug on the C-DOG site.

At first, I was comfortable with having the C-Brats as my place for all my C-Dory interests, but when they continued to ridicule Dale, I chose to go off on my own.

Many folks were hurt by Dale's actions. Dale was equally hurt by folks who (seemed) to have no respect for the conventions that he set up on, what was at that time, the most visited boating website on MSN.

There are two sides to this story, and I'm 50% on Dale's side, and 45% on Admin's side. I'm saving that last 5% for when Admin can move on, and quit the insidious slams against Dale.

Thanks for your comments.....They were very well thought out, and very well stated.

Ken
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok enough already, it is over, done, we have all moved on. I love my C-Dory, I love the folks hear. I am sorry the way things worked out but considering the way people were treated by Dale it is amazing how very little it is ever talked about but it is over. I can't believe we are still talking about it. Shocked
Billy

City/Region: Chugiak
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Beer:thirty
Photos: Beer:Thirty
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Photo Album Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to get a photo album, who to talk to, what to do to get one, etc., etc., I have some pics I'd like to share. Any help out there? Maybe I've already got one and don't know it?

Many thanks,
Bill
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some weather we're having, Uh?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Photo Album Reply with quote

Your post may do it! But a private message to DaNag or Tyboo is the best way to communicate with the administrators aka Da Nerds.

Billy wrote:
I'm looking for a way to get a photo album, who to talk to, what to do to get one, etc., etc., I have some pics I'd like to share. Any help out there? Maybe I've already got one and don't know it?

Many thanks,
Bill

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

BOMBERO

City/Region: VANCOUVER, CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1992
Vessel Name: BOMBERO
Photos: Bombero
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: photo album Reply with quote

hello bill

i would like to start a photo album for my new (1982) c-dory angler

i am still working on it with "cute-c" (dave) from vancouver island, and have my 16 angler for sale.

hope to have new "bombero" in the water by the end of this week.

thanks for your help

":O)

rob
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely summed up `PHrEEK.

Ken, for every action there is a reaction. Dale took an aggressive action that simply triggered, and in fact, invited an obviously predictible and totally justifiable reaction. There is simply no surprise here, and by the same token there shouldn't be any sensitivity training or accomodative adjustments to be made by anyone impacted by Dale's actions. End of story. Give it a break. Move on!

What absolutely astounds me is tht this subject matter is still around and that anyone, especially me, is spending any time addressing it.

KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mark,

Interesting comment, in that it appears that we have all moved on since the heat of the discussion back in early February. I believe I have acted accordingly, and hope your post simply didn't take into consideration the dates of the previous posts.

Thanks for your consideration.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: