Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which.......Performance seems fine, at least for now. Was really slow earlier today, but is OK now.

Ken
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenMcC wrote:
"No Rules - Just Be Nice". Seems to have selective application!

Just curious as to how long grudges can be held.

Well...I guess a history lesson is in order for many of our newer members. Nothing like airing a little dirty laundry to make for some juicy Sunday morning reading...Shocked

As to grudges, Ken - perhaps you should ask Dale (Fishwisher at the C-Dog site, for you new folks.) I'm still banned from the read only C-Dog archive site that he holds the keys to. My guess is, TyBoo and Red Fox are as well.

So, we make fun of the situation - big deal. Our not-so-subtle reference to Dale with this phrase has been used for ages, and anyone who's read here for a while knows the meaning. I guess the inside joke is now officially outside.

For those of you who are new around here, when Dale ran the original C-Dog site he was referred to jokingly as the "Grand Poobah". When I first started researching C-Dorys, his site was the only resource out there, and provided a very valuable service - it still does, in it's archived form. However, his subsequent actions against the folks who started this site (and our previous MSN community) are the true meaning behind our "poobed" comments you see from time to time.

Which leads me into my only grudge...against Dale, which I freely admit, and won't be giving up any time soon. He deleted comments with which he disagreed. He banned members who not only offered great contributions, but are GREAT PEOPLE. Then, in a fit of anger, he deleted the original C-Dog site which contained years of valuable information contributed by the C-Dory community, including many, many hours of documentation and photos I put together when I acquired my first C-Dory.

Only by the greatest stroke of luck was the original site restored; usually when an MSN manager deletes a site, it's gone forever - Microsoft will NOT restore a deleted community. However, during the same time period that Dale deleted the site, Microsoft had accidently deleted a number of other sites. Not knowing which sites were purposely deleted, they restored all sites deleted during that small window of time - the orignal C-Dog site was restored, sans photos. To Dale's credit, he didn't delete it again, but he also chose NOT to turn the site over to somebody who still had an interest in running it, and left it up as an "archive" site. From here, the new C-Dog site was born, with Ken running the show.

Dale never even apologized. So yeah...I hold a grudge, against one person, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Fortunately I'm now blessed to be surrounded by so many new friends as a result of his actions, I'm no longer angry with him. In a twisted kind of way, he did me a favor.

Lest the above be construed to suggest I have any il feelings towards anyone else in the C-Dog community, allow me to put that notion to rest. We've gone out of our way to accomodate and welcome C-Dory owners who choose to spend more time at the new C-Dog site, and I count many C-Dogs as good friends. As with our site, the current C-Dog site provides a valuable service, and any bad blood between those of us affected by Dale does not translate into any harsh feelings for the C-Dogs as a group. The recent get-together at the SBS should clear up any doubts anyone has about this...nothing but a bunch of happy C-Dory owners and prospective owners having a great time together.

Well, enough of that...I know from private conversations I've had with many folks, that one of the most frequently asked questions is "why are there two sites". Hopefully the above clears things up for a few of you new folks.

Another very funny story - one that is asked in private quite often - is where the C-Brat name came from. I'll let the originators answer that if they choose, but it's related to the above soap opera... Laughing

KenMcC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, the wounds are still open and festering.

I was just noticing a continuing double standard here, between the C-Brat motto and occasional disparaging remarks.

You won't find any such remarks on the C-DOG site, and frankly, after two years, I was hoping that such remarks would disappear here.

Bill, I appreciate your honesty in admitting the depth and length of your grudge, so it's probably safe to assume that the double standard will continue to be maintained. Your account of the riff is understandably one-sided, but I'll leave it at that.

I learned a lot from both sides of the debacle, much of which is reflected in the current C-DOG Policy Statement.

Bottom line.......The riff was an unpleasant time for a lot of folks, but reminders continue to pop up here. Personally, I'm hoping for the day that they go away entirely.

Ken
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah Ken, Mike, Bill and Red Fox are obviously evil and should be banned from all websites. Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously, the wounds are still open and festering.

Yes, Ken, they obviously are. Without any facetiousness or disparagment I say that I sincerely hope you are able to let them heal. You will be much more content in life if you do.

As for me, it took about eleven seconds to grasp the humor of the entire affair, and I have been laughing about it since. It is fun, funny, harmless, and when viewed in light the real concerns that occupy my life, meaningless. Let it go. Step back, take a deep breath, close your eyes and consider the relative impact of someone saying "poobed" to the souls in Indonesia right now.

And as for the C-Brat motto - nice but not honest is not very nice at all.

This whole thing is a joke. Humor. Lightheartedness. Fun. Innocent. Try as you might to pick a fight, it just isn't worth fighting over. It is quite possible that you learned too much "from both sides of the debacle". There really isn't any lesson in it. It's only value is in its ability to lessen ones burdens of life for an instant and provide the relief of laughter. For that reason, I think your hope for the day it will go away is misplaced.

KenMcC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Mike,

If you can say, in all honesty, that the comments are merely fun, funny, and harmless, I can only take that at face value. And so I shall.

Ken
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Ken. Believe it, it's for real. We would even welcome Fishwisher aboard, and probably be glad that he joined. You can tell him that if you wish.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a member of both groups, I enjoy the information found on both sites. I also consider many of you friends, C-Brats or C-Dogs.

I was among one of the first 50 members on the original MSN group, and was one of the first 15 members of this group.

When the "trouble" started over some non-boat related scenery photos, on the original site, I stood by the "Grand Poobah" -Dale. After all, he started the group and had set the "ground rules". But then it escalated to members being banned, members that contributed greatly to the group. I thought the heavy handedness of Dale was out of line and let my feelings be known.

Is there a "double standard" here? No, I think not----- but I do find it a bit clickish for the NorthWest area gatherings, with little coverage of gatherings in other parts of the country.

Dale- Even though I doubt you will read this, thanks for starting a group to begin with.
Mike and Greg - You did good on this group. Thanks for being the fun loving BRATS that you are.
Bill- You came in and with your nerdiness gave us all a better presence on the WWW- Thanks ps- you still owe me a latte

Now------ on with the business of owning and enjoying our C-DORYs

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken...I took your bait when you inquired about the "poobed" comment, as did Mike. You knew the background, and you knew the history of the term and what it meant. Quite frankly, you posted the question to get a reaction, and you got one.

Quote:

Your account of the riff is understandably one-sided, but I'll leave it at that.

Of course it is. Did you expect anything less from somebody on the receiving end of Dale's tyrannical actions? Still, while I'll accept that the tone of my notes may be somewhat harsh towards the man, feel free to correct any factual errors I made. I'll gladly retract anything I said that was in error.

As to your "noticing a continuing double standard here, between the C-Brat motto and occasional disparaging remarks", please...being the thorough nerd that I am, I just did a little research.

- Out of over 15,000 posts, the term "poob" or any derivative of it has been used 18 times - 8 of which are in this thread. That's .05% of all posts.

- We've discussed "beer" roughly 45 times as much. Which makes sense; it's a far more interesting subject.

- We've discussed Porta Potty's roughly 15 times as much. While it doesn't surprise me our little plastic friends consume more of our time than the occasional "poob" reference, I'm quite disturbed we only discuss beer 3 times as much as Porta Potty's. That just seems wrong; I was expecting at least a 10 to 1 ratio.

As you can see, I really don't take this issue very seriously. I certainly don't think I have "open and festering" wounds, but if I'm wrong, we have a nurse on staff... Mr. Green
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill -

Speaking of sucky sites, could the amount of traffic be contributing to the performance decline? I mean, two and a quarter million total page hits is quite a few for less than a month and a half.

Sorry about the poor quality stat picture, but this sucky site won't let me paste the table, and I ain't got time to figure out how to get 'er done.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishtales wrote:
Is there a "double standard" here? No, I think not----- but I do find it a bit clickish for the NorthWest area gatherings, with little coverage of gatherings in other parts of the country.

Agreed...but it's the members who organize the gatherings, and report back on them. Hopefully, nobody thinks they are being discouraged from doing this in other parts of the country. There just seem to be more folks participating from the Northwest, presumably because there are a higher percentage of C-Dory's sold up there.

The other area of high C-Dory population seems to be CA, but that has historically been C-Dog territory.

So...is there something we can do to better facilitate folks outside the Northwest? We're nothing if not accomodating here...
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So...is there something we can do to better facilitate folks outside the Northwest? We're nothing if not accomodating here...

Just turn Brydman loose on 'em. He gets things organized and publicized!

We are watching the Eastern Shore, Maryland talk. They are real close to settling on a date. We always prefer to be asked or reminded about the signup list and announcement. If we take the decision on ourselves, who knows where you'll end up or when you'll get back. A good bop up alongside the head doesn't hurt much, either.

Oh, and now it looks like Bill wants you to include info on how much beer and how many Porta-Potties you'll have along.
KenMcC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Bill. And I certainly got a reaction. But please believe me, my motives were good. Dale is still a friend of mine, and I just don't like folks having fun at his expense, irrespective of how indefensible his actions were two years ago.

But, as you point out, that's (relatively) minor, in the whole scheme of things.

Just so folks have some understanding of where I stand in the whole scheme of things, I posted the following on the C-DOG site on 11/01/2003, and I meant it:

Hi, Everyone,

I'd like to be the first of the C-DOGs to congratulate Tyboo Mike, Red Fox Greg, Da Nag Bill, and the rest of their staff, on the launching of their totally new C-Brat web-site.

I invite you to visit them HERE, and extend to them your congratulations, as well.

This new site will, undoubtedly, serve to enhance the experience of all C-Dory owners and wannabees.

Tyboo's official announcement of the new site can be accessed HERE.

Please join me in wishing them success in this new venture.

Ken
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

Fishwisher named himself the Grand Poobah and by his own actions he has created strong memories (good and bad) in our minds.

All of us who were on that site will remember the PURPLE TIGHTS! Wink

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Da Nag
Agreed...but it's the members who organize the gatherings, and report back on them. Hopefully, nobody thinks they are being discouraged from doing this in other parts of the country. There just seem to be more folks participating from the Northwest, presumably because there are a higher percentage of C-Dory's sold up there....[/quote]

Bill- I agree there seems to be more owners and more gatherings per member in the Northwest. There also seems to be an increasing number of postings for other areas of late. Thats great.
Heck, I'd like to attend some of the gatherings up there myself (with my boat, had a great time at the SBS/CBC) We'll be up the last week of July, to have some gell coat work done at the factory, then cruise the San Juans the first week of August. Would've liked to join ya'll at Blakely, but we'll be too late for that one. So if any one wants to join us (us being PJ and I, Joel and Sue- SEA3PO and, maybe Mike- Sealife) you're welcome to be a Dog for a week in Brat country Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: