The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another Bottom Paint Question!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Another Bottom Paint Question!!! Reply with quote

Think i need some expert help: i have narrowed it down to two bottom paints..Interlux CSC or Pettit Vivid..to topcoat InterProtect 2000E

I do plan on mooring my boat next summer but i still want the option of being able to trailer my boat for part of the season. Than dry store next winter without having to repaint.Also want a paint that will not come off on my trailer bunks. Maybe i am asking too much.lol Need help on deciding which paint would be the better choice. Thanks Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Vivid on my Caracal. Over a year in fresh to brackish water, and no growth--no problems taking onto the trailer. Looks great still.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... is Pettid Vivid hard enough to beach without scrapping off any bottom paint. Thanks Tug
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on sanding the bottom to rough it up prior to applying the barrier coat ?

I was thinking of sandblasting the bottom then applying the barrier coat.

Joel
SEA3PO
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sea3po, I think a sandblast would be overkill and may damage gelcoat. I would think a roughening of the surface with something like a scotch brite pad, 80 grit sandpaper would be enough.

Epoxy barrier coat considerations?

I had many coats of antifouling on my last boat which came off in pieces. If I were to bottom paint my c-dory I would sure want a paint that would not do this. I didn't do the paint on my last boat so may it was not the kind to take in and out of the water...
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on just hand sanding or using an orbital sander on the gelcoat bottom, ( 60-80 grit ) after cleaning and removing any wax.I will just sand enough to give the gelcoat a dull hazy finish with enough bit for the 2000E to grab hold ,than i will apply the InterProtect 2000E. I think sand blasting is overkill but i would use something less aggressive like soda blasting if there were multiple layers of tough,old bottom paint that needed to be removed. Tug
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Beaching Reply with quote

No paint will survive beaching...it's basically the same as sand paper. It will not strip the paint clean but it will wear it off.

I used Vivid this past season and it worked as any other paint I have used.

After speaking to Pettit I'm leaning toward their top of the line ablative called SR60 to see how it works. If it does not prove to work well...the paint will slough off with time. Their top of the line hard paint Trinidad SR looses it's mojo once the boat has been out of the water 60 days per Pettit. Said another way, after applying in the Spring you need to be in the water prior to 60 days for it to remain active.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have beached many small boats with bottom paint--you have to keep it touched up. Gel coat and epoxy with aluminum will wear down when beaching a boat.

As for sand blasting--not a good idea. Soda blasting, with a very experienced operator, is an option. But I have seen a lot of damage done by sand blasting, and would never do it to a boat.

Sanding is proper, and it just takes a little to give the "tooth". Also the hull has to be "de waxed"--from the mold wax. There are specific de waxing solvents and they must be liberally used.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned several times above, de-waxing/ cleaning the hull before applying and Epoxy primer coat is mandatory and important as well. You're going to spend some money and a lot of time in an uncomfortable position, so you might as well do it right. Or you're going to spend a lot of money to have someone do it and it's even more important to get it done right.

I useded Interlux 202 Fiberglass Solvent Wash. A quart should be enough. It may have been superseded by Interlux YMA601 Fiberglass Surface Prep. In either case use a lot of clean rags to wipe the hull down.

Or you could go to an automotive paint store (or Auto Zone,) they sell wax and grease remover for paint prep. A quart is all you should need. Look in the paint section or (gasp) ask.

I have seen boats with factory applied bottom paint which hadn't been properly cleaned and the paint peeled off. Clean the bottom first and second.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: