The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Made the Decision Reply with quote

Thanks all for your feedback. Even though the Baystar is less expensive by about half, I am going with SeaStar. Over the years on CBrats, I have seen more positive comments on the SeaStar system versus BayStar.

It is now on order, and I hope to have it shortly.

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with the BayStar units Steve. That hasn't been my experience having been installing them since their inception (that's a lot of boats!) but there are a lot of variables in boating.

Still, the seals are a lot less expensive than the difference between the cost of the BayStar versus SeaStar.

I tried Uflex controllers early on and I thought they were very poorly manufacturer so that put me off the brand. Perhaps their quality has become much better since they first started importing.

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Made the Decision Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Thanks all for your feedback. Even though the Baystar is less expensive by about half, I am going with SeaStar. Over the years on CBrats, I have seen more positive comments on the SeaStar system versus BayStar.

It is now on order, and I hope to have it shortly.

If you're going to put an autopilot in the system now would be the time to figure out where it will be installed and order the hoses to accommodate it since the SeaStar hoses can not be cut.

For later installation of an autopilot you'll want two hoses from the helm to the location where the autopilot steering pump will eventually be located, two couplers, then two hoses from the future location of the autopilot pump to the engine steering cylinder.

Later you'd remove the two couplers and a add Tees for the connections to the autopilot steering pump.

Les
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, thanks for the info on autopilots. At this time, I don't think I will put one in. It could be a mistake on my part by not planning to at least ready the boat for an A/P, but having never had/used one, I am not sure I want one. It's much more fun to find the rocks without having a mechanical device to blame... Laughing
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Les, thanks for the info on autopilots. At this time, I don't think I will put one in. It could be a mistake on my part by not planning to at least ready the boat for an A/P, but having never had/used one, I am not sure I want one. It's much more fun to find the rocks without having a mechanical device to blame... Laughing

I understand, just thought I'd let you know ahead of time if you were thinking about it. Smile
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i had it pretty much figured out what type of hydraulic steering system i needed before i bought the S-1000 auto pilot....but after reading these posts i am back to square one .Tug
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
I thought i had it pretty much figured out what type of hydraulic steering system i needed before i bought the S-1000 auto pilot....but after reading these posts i am back to square one .Tug

I was thinking about this upgrade (hydraulic steering and new autopilot) if I couldn't get my Sportpilot repaired (looks like it may be okay now though). I had pretty much settled on Baystar steering and a Raymarine S1000. I could see that other autopilots might be better, but at a significant additional cost. The Baystar sounded like it would work well with the S1000/on a 22... just curious what's making you re-think the choice? (Maybe some people's seal leaks on the Baystars?)
Tug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st thought from reading earlier posts was that the Baystar hydraulic steering would not be the best choice if your were going to add an auto pilot...( S1000 )..than reading these posts it would be a good choice....than the issue of leaking seals arose and now i am unsure again. An auto pilot would make my life alot easier seeing that i mostly fish alone and setting the riggers can be fustrating if there is a good wind blowing. Tug
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Baystar does not hold up Reply with quote

I had posted a note earlier about Baystar reliability and I still stand by my comments. Today I changed out a friends Baystar that I had installed for him just 4 years ago. Leaks, leaks and more leaks and on top of that the helm pump rotated and chattered like a 20 year old system.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably get the BayStar hydraulic Kit mostly because of the price, i assume there are kits with different lenghts of hydraulic hose. Does anyone know what lenght hoses are required for an 1985 22' Angler and would i need to replace my old steering wheel with a newer one for when i add an ..( S1000 )..auto pilot.Tug
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Baystar hoses Reply with quote

Unlike the Seastar, which requires hoses that are specific to length and have fittings installed at each end of the high pressure hose, the Baystar has tubing that has fittings on one end of each hose and you cut the hose (included in the kit) to the desired lenght and install compression type fittings on the end that you cut.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug wrote:
I will probably get the BayStar hydraulic Kit mostly because of the price, i assume there are kits with different lenghts of hydraulic hose. Does anyone know what lenght hoses are required for an 1985 22' Angler and would i need to replace my old steering wheel with a newer one for when i add an ..( S1000 )..auto pilot.Tug

Tug, you don't need a new wheel but you do need a new helm. That's the part that the wheel attaches to and goes through the dashboard. It comes with the BAYSTAR KIT and this is one of the better prices on the Internet. And srbaum is right, you cut the hose to fit, you don't need to know the length.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the kit , good price. Are there any extra items that i need to buy with this kit in order to be able to install/attach the S1000 auto pilot. The pictured kit doesn't seem to show any spare hook-ups in which to attach the auto pilot to but i do not really know how to install one. Isn't there a minium length in the splash well needed before you can install hydraulic steering. Tug
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autopilot comes with the fittings you need. And there are lots of cdorys with baystar steering, no problems with clearance in the splash well.

Charlie
Tug

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Bear Sporting Goods sell them for $ 459.79 if anyone is looking..but only accepts American billing and shipping addresses. Probably figure we do not have credit cards up in the territories.. HA!HA! Tug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: