The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 Sport Pilot is a rework of the S-1000 which is no longer offered. The SmartPilot X-5 Sport Pilot now costs
$1500, but includes rate gyros, still no fluxgate compass. They use the same name for the sailboat autopilots, my bad.

The Raymarine ST70 SmartPilot X-10 Hydraulic System appears to be the cheapest Raymarine hydraulic autopilot and costs $2200. Also includes rate gyros and a fluxgate.

No sociological intent, just a comment.

Boris
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
OK, the Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 Sport Pilot is a rework of the S-1000 which is no longer offered.

I'm sorry, but that does not make sense. Where did you hear / read that Raymarine superceded a wireless hydraulic autopilot with a wired autopilot for cable steering?

The S1000 is the only entry under "Wireless Autopilot" on the Raymarine site:
http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1018&PRODUCT=3011

Also, the Raymarine autopilot page:
http://www.raymarine.com/Default.aspx?site=1&section=2&page=5
has 4 featured sections on the right - the only entry under "Multimedia" is "S1000 Installation Video", and of the two "What's New" items, the second one is "S1000 Wireless Autopilot for Fishing Boats up to 25'" (the other is the "Wireless MOB System").

In fact, if I run through their "Autopilot System Builder" and say I prefer a below-deck autopilot, it recommends....the S1000.

I dunno - I think reports of the S1000's death are premature.
WineAdvisor

City/Region: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: In Conclusion Reply with quote

To those of you who showed constraint, and provided meaningful advice, I thank you.

Subsequent research, based upon your suggestions, led me to the Teleflex Marine BayStar Hydraulic Steering System. The following url provides extensive details.

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/BAYSTAR/baystar.htm

A pdf file for helm pump installation is available on their website.

A quick google search showed that the complete kit (HK4200A) can be acquired on eBay or at Amazon at just over $500, including the shipping.[/url]
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In Conclusion Reply with quote

WineAdvisor wrote:
To those of you who showed constraint, and provided meaningful advice, I thank you.<stuff clipped>

What about those who showed restraint and didn't comment at all? No love for the quite ones? Wink

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: In Conclusion Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
WineAdvisor wrote:
To those of you who showed constraint, and provided meaningful advice, I thank you.<stuff clipped>

What about those who showed restraint and didn't comment at all? No love for the quite ones? Wink

Roger, I think he appreciates the quiet ones, not sure about the quite ones.

And me, an engineer too.... Rolling Eyes

A new question, if two typos occur in the woods, does anyone notice? Mr. Green

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear folks opinions on the costs/benefits of switching from mechanical to hydraulic steering on a 22" cruiser. As well as adding autopilot. Is the a/p mostly useful for fishing (trolling) or do people use it for navigation as well? Seems like a major outlay of funds to acquire the electronics for a/p.

jd
bburgin

City/Region: Mississippi
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: MY HOOKER
Photos: MY HOOKER
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on boats for a living,the Baystar will work just fine with the small horse power motor.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Q tol Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
Is the a/p mostly useful for fishing (trolling) or do people use it for navigation as well? Seems like a major outlay of funds to acquire the electronics for a/p. jd

Hi J. D.,
Since I don't fish, I'll only address the usage of the auto pilot while cruising. There has probably never been a time that I've been out cruising that I have not used the auto pilot. Primarily, I "point and shoot" with it. Meaning I steer the vessel on a heading and activate the AP. This allows me to run a straight line from point A to point B and concentrate on watching for other vessels, logs in the water etc. If I'm cruising a long distance, I may run my target X out on my chart plotter and then activate the AP to "go to" that target. By running the straight line I'm certain that I am saving a bit of fuel on the cruise. If caught in the fog, there is no danger of "running around in circles" as the vessel maintains a predetermined course and again I can really concentrate on being a "look out" for other vessels, logs, etc. As Les at EQ told me when he outfitted Sea Shift.....an auto pilot is like having a good helmsman on board.
I would guess that there will be other C-Brats that think otherwise and don't feel as strongly about the auto pilot as I, but I do know that if I were to ever purchase another vessel it definitely would have the auto pilot.

(J.D. Nice day we're having here, we should be on the water!)

C-Brat #16
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
I'd be interested to hear folks opinions on the costs/benefits of switching from mechanical to hydraulic steering on a 22" cruiser. As well as adding autopilot. Is the a/p mostly useful for fishing (trolling) or do people use it for navigation as well? Seems like a major outlay of funds to acquire the electronics for a/p.

The cost is pretty clear - about $500 for the Baystar and a few hours (I think it took me 4 hours total on an Arima I did a couple of years ago).

IMHO, the benefits are you can easily add a 2nd steering station, easily add a wireless autopilot (and you can do both if you add a HH5501 fitting kit), periodic maintenance of a hydraulic system is much less, and steering requires less effort, is balanced turning left and right, and provides greater precision (though with decreased feedback).

Ultimate reliability is probably a toss-up, but that's just a guess on my part and both systems are considered "reliable".

Autopilot usage when cruising varies mostly by personal preference - I would not use it when moving at greater than displacement speed. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I'd say it's pretty much a requirement for short-handed trolling.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a long transit, even at 20+knots, the ability not to have to keep your hands on the helm make the autopilot indispensable to me. With little traffic (usually no traffic where we are), I can walk around even. Very relaxing.

Besides, having the wireless AP leads to endless jokes with newbies about "voice steering" if you keep the control in your pocket...

Charlie
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Gonna Do It Reply with quote

I am going to finally get off my behonkus and replace our Teleflex steering with a SeaStar system.

I know that I will need a Helm, appropriate length hose, and the ram cylinder (front mount due to kicker). Is there anything else that you gurus can think of?

I am told that there is a kit that allows the helm to attach from the back to give a little more room in the captain's seat. Did any of you do that?

Does this impact the ability to mount the kicker (Honda Cool directly on the transom? I am planning on just using a steering rod from the Honda 90 to steer the kicker.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Gonna Do It Reply with quote

I am going to finally get off my behonkus and replace our Teleflex steering with a SeaStar system.

I know that I will need a Helm, appropriate length hose, and the ram cylinder (front mount due to kicker). Is there anything else that you gurus can think of?

I am told that there is a kit that allows the helm to attach from the back to give a little more room in the captain's seat. Did any of you do that?

Does this impact the ability to mount the kicker (Honda Cool directly on the transom? I am planning on just using a steering rod from the Honda 90 to steer the kicker.

Thanks in advance!

Steve
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gonna Do It Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve,

There's no reason to use the Teleflex SeaStar system, the Teleflex BayStar system is totally appropriate for the C-Dory 22 and it's about 1/2 the price. It comes as a complete DIY kit.

There is a back mount kit for the BayStar part# HA-5476. There's a photo from a friend building a boat here.

Using the BayStar unit does not interfere with adding a Honda BF8 kicker.

Les

www.marinautboats.com
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WineAdvisor - Have had both the Sea Star and Bay Star on two 22' C-Dorys. The Sea Star is more robust, but the Bay Star handles a Mercury 115 EFI very nicely, and as you already know, it is less expensive.

Regarding the add in comment about mechanical versus hydraulic steering, I have had the pleasure of using both systems including the mechanical system which froze up after extended use on salt water, but the hydraulic systems, IMO, are more reliable.

As you quickly learned, asking for free advise is an art form on this web site.
John

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: BayStar Failures Reply with quote

I have had poor luck with the BayStar at home and at work. I purchased 2 of the systems 4 years ago and installed one on a friends boat and one on my RIB. The seal at the helm on both systems failed within 2 years. Likewise I purchased one for a boat at work and replaced it due to the seals at the rams failing within 2 years.
I have now switched all future purchases to the Uflex systems, as they are much more durable than the BayStar and SeaStar systems.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: