The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WineAdvisor

City/Region: Burnt Store Marina, Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda Reply with quote

I was just getting ready to install a Raymarine SmartPilot X-5, when I was told that they have all been recalled! And, there are, apparently, no other autopilots appropriate for mechanical systems?

Therefore, I am seeking recommendations for appropriate hydraulic steering for my 1993 Cruiser with a 90 horse Honda. Then, I'll get a compatible autopilot.

Please do not turn this into a discussion board about recalls, or obsolete systems. I simply want suggestions for hydraulic steering that is worthwhile and affordable.
akroyd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 H Reply with quote

[
Please do not turn this into a discussion board about recalls, or obsolete systems. I simply want suggestions for hydraulic steering that is worthwhile and affordable.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. We needed someone to give orders.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're wanting to tap into it for an auto pilot then it is SeaStar steering without question. Last I heard the less expensive BayStar won't allow it.

When you order the hose sets with the steering be sure and let them know your plans. They might be able to make it easier for you. I bought my steering system online from Redden Marine in Bellingham. They are very helpful on the phone or email and I chose them initially because at the time they had the best price. Even easier would be to order the works through Les at EQ. He can make it easiest of all for you.

WineAdvisor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 H Reply with quote

akroyd wrote:
[Thanks for taking the time to stop by. We needed someone to give orders.

What, exactly, does your post contribute to this thread?
tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WineAdvisor,

Welcome.

Sounds like you've been on a few Internet forums before. Quite a few forums are fairly impersonal, direct and to the point and one does best by tersely stating what one wants and doesn't want; and that's what everyone expects.

The tenor here is, for the most part, a bit more chummy and the majority of posts are fairly conversational, much the way we'd chat leaning up against the gunwale with a coupla beers. And some of us really like that forum manner and are put off with the terse, to the point thing. I think that's the point Akroyd was trying to make; out on a limb here... C-Brats might be a bit slower-paced and amiable than other forums, but we like it. Hope you do too.

I betcha someone here has some sage advice on your topic.

All the best...
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaStar. Had one on a '95 Cruiser. Autopilot - Raymarine S-1000. Have both SeaStar and S-1000 on my TomCat.

Is that to the point enough for you? You'd better not read any more threads, we tend to stray a lot! Mr. Green

BTW, and I know you didn't ask about wine but, get the red stuff, a good year for me was "Tuesday"...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
WineAdvisor,
The tenor here is, for the most part, a bit more chummy and the majority of posts are fairly conversational, much the way we'd chat leaning up against the gunwale with a coupla beers. And some of us really like that forum manner and are put off with the terse, to the point thing. I think that's the point Akroyd was trying to make; out on a limb here... C-Brats might be a bit slower-paced and amiable than other forums, but we like it. Hope you do too.

I betcha someone here has some sage advice on your topic.

All the best...

Tom, I found nothing at all wrong or unreasonable about the request from WineAdvisor, or for that matter his response to the comment about "giving orders". I did however think that akroyd was getting close to straying from the "just be nice" rule.

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

tomherrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody's different. You didn't have any problem with it. Akroyd may have. I don't care either way. Just thought I'd stick my foot in where it wasn't needed. I'll avoid it in future.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to avoid turning this into a discussion about how to request not turning it into a discussion about something other than what it's about ... or something.

Get Sea Star hydraulics.

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use the Bay Star system, and connect the hydraulic lines for the pilot at the back of the helm.
360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
sjboysen
C-Dory Factory Representative

City/Region: Bellingham
Photos: Triton Plant Photos
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WineAdvisor,

Here is what I am currently installing on all new 22' Cruisers, all parts are Teleflex Inc and can be purchased directly from www.fisheriessupply.com:

1) 1.7 Rear Mount Helm model # HH5261
2) 22' Hydraulic hose kit # HO5122

I hope that this information is helpful and don't hesitate to give me a call at 360-393-3283 if you need more information.

Sincerely,

Scott
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Teleflex Baystar kit may be exactly what you are looking for. Under $500 on EBAY, make sure it has the HC4645H cylinder.

The Baystar even allows you to fit a second helm station (per a response from Teleflex last week):

Quote:
Yes, the BayStar helm is fitted with a set of lock out valves, as well as a return port for the second helm. Suggest that you order the following parts for this
· HH4314, helm pump, 1 ea
· HF5502, add a station fitting kit, 1 ea
· HA5430, Oil, 1 ea
· HT5092, nylon tubing kit, 1 ea (this is a 25’ roll of cut to fit tube)

NOTE: You will require three lines from the lower to the upper station. If you feel that 25’ is not enough to complete this, order one of the following tubing kits instead;
· HT5095, 50’ roll
· HT5097, 75’ roll
· HT5100, 100’ roll
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being abrupt, why would you want a Raymarine SmartPilot X-5? That appears to be an autopilot for a sailboat with either tiller or wheel steering. How would you mount the wheel drive to the C-Dory steering?

Second, any autopilot with a hydraulic pump should be able to work with SeaStar steering. The autopilot hydraulic pump is merely in parallel with the hand steering pump, which contains a set of check valves. The check valves insure that pressure generated by the hand steering pump go the correct way. From reading centerisland above, it appears BayStar has the same check valve in it's steering pump.

Third, we do have a few people who give terse, concise answers. As has been pointed out above this upsets some people. Others insist on it. Your choice.

Boris
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Steering Selection Advice Please: CD 22 w/90 Honda Reply with quote

use sea star hydraulic steering and a Garmin auto pilot. Out
WineAdvisor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
At the risk of being abrupt, why would you want a Raymarine SmartPilot X-5? That appears to be an autopilot for a sailboat with either tiller or wheel steering. How would you mount the wheel drive to the C-Dory steering?

According to the manufacturer, the X-5 is a "modular autopilot system for manual cable steered power boats with laden displacements of up to 4400 lbs". The section in quotes is directly from the Raymarine website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: