The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Alternative to Bottom Paint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Alternative to Bottom Paint Reply with quote

Here is something i came across as an alternative to bottom paint:Ceram-Kote CK-99M.....is a two part Industrial epoxy coating,more UV resistant than most epoxy's,goes on fibreglass,for immersion in the marine environment...has ceramic overlapping platelets like Interprotect 2000E,( not need for a primer ).coating cures to a hard gloss coating.Also can be applied over Interprotect 2000E and can be painted.Comes in lots of different colours and lasts for many years.I guess its that coating you see over industrial machines and oil/gas pipelines.I was reading that some boaters have used it as a bottom coat and love it. Tug
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's under water, why do you need UV protection. What does it say about biofouling?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie from what i understand about epoxy barrier coats is that they need a protective coat like bottom paint to cover them because UV rays will fade their colour,chalk-up at the water line and eventually destroy there protective properties.Ceram-Kote CK-99M is not a paint, it is an epoxy coating that isn't as sensitive to UV rays and so applying a paint over it is optional.There is no mention of any biofouling properties, it just says that periodic cleaning is recommended. Says you can expect the coating to last around 10 years...sounds good but there has to be a down side to it or more people would be using it as bottom paint. Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that this is being used mostly on trailerable boats--where there may be some what less adhesion than to fiberglass etc. But on the other hand, well waxed fiberglass has some resistance.

There is a Sea Grant study in San Diego where the compound was used on two boats for a year or so--the cleaning interval by a diver was every 15 days, and at the end of the time one owner was considering re-applying the Ceram Kote and the other coating it with a copper bottom paint. There was some etching from tube worms and algae. Also consider that there are other areas which are higher fouling than San Diego.

I would not consider it like one of the teflon or silicon compounds which are more of a "non stick" coating. There running the boat will clear the growth off. You probably can leave the boat in the water for a few weeks and then clean it off with a pressure washer or scrubbing brush, and have it return to prior state. But if you get barnacles growing, without regular cleaning--it could be a problem to get clean.

Compare with Vivid (which I am using on the Caracal--after one year there is no growth (low fouling area). If I left a waxed fiberglass boat in the same conditions there would be barnacles growing.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Tug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob.thanks for the information.I have the Ceram Kote Marine site but l'm unable to post it, the best i can do is e-mail to some-one and they could possibly post it. Tug
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is: www.ceram-kote.com/products/index.htm

According to their website, "CeRam-Kote Marine is a thin-film, spray applied and air-cured ceramic epoxy coating system recommended for atmospheric corrosion/light abrasion resistance as well as non-chemical immersion service in a marine environment. Not designed for critical service, areas of high abrasion/heavy impact and/or chemical resistance. CeRam-Kote Marine is available in a variety of colors. Fast, one coat, two pass application. No primer needed. Must be topcoated when aesthetics are an issue."

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: