View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Navigating with Compass and Protractor Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
old post being dredged up but I did not see one thing addressed. How many folks know how to use a compass and map??? I have not done so in a few years but do know how. Most dont and some how fell better that they have a back up map and compass on board. why? if you cant use it ? and as I always remind people , can you wife use a compass?? Susan needs to be trained on this more and I need a refreasher too. so look up from the computer and ask you wife/ other half if they can use a map and compass to A) find where they are and B) figure out how to get home.

on edit: if you lose the gps in the fog how are you going to figure out where you are?

Tom brings up a good point. To that end there are several resources available online:

Online Navigation Course (free)
http://www.sailingissues.com/navcourse0.html

There oughta be a book... (also free)
http://www.irbs.com/bowditch/

And, the bible: Chapman Piloting and Seamanship
http://books.google.com/books?id=gOLEhDB0vzgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=chapman+seamanship&source=bl&ots=UowQIddd7M&sig=kblmNKYaR2pJUOpJiCBq6O4X2sc&hl=en&ei=31LCTPjIC4ScsQPh_aDwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Get it used from Amazon... or borrow it from your dad! And, for the record, I wouldn't leave the dock without a compass, protractor, and paper charts. Heck, I finally just got rid of my RDF!

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, the USPS and the USCG Aux. offer inexpensive navigation courses.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Levitation

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: CHARLOTTE ANN
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, 'everything' can be found online now... I have not looked but the odds are that someone has an online video instruction on chart navigating...
Mike

City/Region: mount juliet
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Photos: GYPSY
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could leave the dock without paper charts, two compasses and a first mate who could use and keep up with both while underway!!! Shocked Even on the inland rivers B keeps track of position and, as a minimum, mile markers. I once asked her if I had a heart attack, where would she tell the Coasties to come to her aid. From that day foward, she wore me out with questions and has almost mastered the compass / chart relationship as to our where-a-bouts. On our inland waters the lat/long is not as important as the mile marker, granted, but when we were in the Gulf or on the ICW she kept pretty good watch on the GPS as we cruised along! Can't wait to get cruisin' again!!! Just my 2 cents worth.
Mike & B in Tennessee

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before GPS etc. Who ever was standing watch plotted the vessel's position every hour--more frequently if near land or in a congested area.

Various inputs available: Radio direction bearings, including aviation beacons, AM radio stations, and light house beacons.

Visual bearings on points of land, buildings, Islands, etc.

Sextant.

It still holds today that the mate needs to be able to get the boat home in case of an emergency. Many years ago I ended up with a paralyzed leg, and Marie had to plot and voyage over 100 miles to get medical help. It pays off!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
pflash

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CERIUM(IV)
Photos: CERIUM(IV)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: seamanship Reply with quote

The United States Power and Sail Squadrons offers a public class called "Skipper Saver". They also offer a comprehensive series of classes all the way through offshore cruising with electronics and with sextant for backup for members. You can find a local unit at USPS.org. Our local squadron unfortunately folded after 60 years. In my first public boating class, I was astounded at the number of boaters taking the class who joined because of some incident that scared the "heck" out of them to the point where they finally decided they really needed to learn how to boat safely.

Pat (drooling over Choir Practice)

1639 Beach Pkwy #202, Cape Coral, FL 33904 (Oct-May)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: