The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint .....Paint Line
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Bottom Paint .....Paint Line Reply with quote

If you know where the scum line is on the transom, can you just measure that height and than use that measurement to determine where the paint line should go on the rest of the hull.I did too good of a job cleaning off the scum, now all i have is a photo to show where the scum line was.Is that a correct assumption seeing that the hull is flat. Tug
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug-

You'll also have to know where the scum line is on the bow, as the boat may or may not float level with the bottom, depending on your individual loading.

I'd also make the paint line a little above the water line, as the boat gets wet from wave action and can grow slime above the floating water line.

Foe myself, I'd make the paint line 1-1/2 inches above the waterline, then add a contrasting trim line out of plastic trim tape to separate the colors and make a contrast.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sharpie and 4 corner method. You place the boat in the water and mark each corner with a Sharpie then adjust to your needs. I like Joe's method on accent pinstriping, too. Very clean and sharp looking on his boat
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe and Brent, thank you for the replies and information. I think i will wait until i can get my boat into the water to properly determine the paint line. The Sharpie 4 corner method sounds like the way to go.I like that trim line also. Tug
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrentB wrote:
The Sharpie and 4 corner method. You place the boat in the water and mark each corner with a Sharpie then adjust to your needs. I like Joe's method on accent pinstriping, too. Very clean and sharp looking on his boat

Your boat only has 4 corners if it's a TC255! Otherwise 3... Wink

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a closely related subject, i would like to double check to see if i have calculated the correct amount to order , would two ( 2 ) gallons of Interlux InterProtect 2000 Epoxy Primer and one ( 1 ) gallon of Interlux Micron CSC be enough to bottom coat a 1985 C-Dory Angler. Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Interlux about the amount of paint i would need and i received this response.

Sure we would be happy to assist. Based off the specs which you have provided to us 22 x 7.6 x 0.85 = 142sq ft of a wetted surface area per coat.

- Micron CSC covers 440 sq ft per coat. If you take the 142/440 = 0.32/just over a quart per coat. So for 2 coats you will need just under 3 quarts and for 3 coats you will need just under 1 gallon. My recommendation would be to purchase 1 gallon.

- InterProtect 2000E covers 240 sq ft per coat. If you take 142/240 = .59/just over half a gallon per coat. So for 4 coats you will need just over 2 gallons. My recommendation would be to purchase 2 gallons.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need help! I lost my bow water line mark, i cannot refloat it because i removed the bait tank hose attachment on the transom.There are 4 screw holes that need to be filled in. How far above the brass keel guard is a good place to put the water line or how far below the bow ring should i go.Tug
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tug,

If you have the "four corners" marked, you can set the trailer to have those marks all level on a level ground. then you can make a marker ruler or trammel type thing using an old lamp stand or Christmas tree stand or jack stand with a vertical pi;e and a horizontal stick or pipe with a marker on it.

Then just move the base around, keeping the vertical upright and trace the distance from the floor to the boat hulll. It will get pretty funky looking, the shape that you will end up with.

Like Joe, I've heard it's best to put the bottom paint 2 inches above the actual water line. On my TomCat, the marina put the bottom paint exactly on the water line and I had a continuous strip of mold just above that. Water, as you know, rarely holds still - the normal state of water is ripples and wavelets.

John

Tug

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the scum line the actual water line? I not sure if i did it right but i managed to get the paint line on my boat. I looked through the photo albums and than winged it.On one of my boats photo's you can see the scum line and the water line from wave action. I drew the water line a few inches above the scum line, i would rather be high than too low.I had really no idea where the bow mark went, my boat is sitting fairly level so i tried to draw the line as straight as i could.I posted some pictures so if the are any obvious mistakes please let me know.Thanks Tug
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw
Launch, wear waders and use a wax marker or Sharpie
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i got around to raising the paint line about 2-3 inches above the water line.Washed and sanded the hull with a 80 grit disc on my orbital sander/than used a sanding sponge to do the tape line and hard to get at places.Washed the hull again,next i will erect a plastic enclosure for epoxy/bottom painting.I'm having fun doing something after the long winter.I posted some pictures.Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanded the hull today,used 80 grit on my orbital sander/sanding sponge and sand paper.It was cold today,5 degree Centigrade and it is suppose to snow/rain tomorrow.Took me six hours to do the job, but i got every inch. It is not a easy job,lots of sanding if you do it right...better than any marine yard i bet.I hope that the painting part is easier.Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started to build a plastic enclosure around my boat today but it started snowing.I think i might scrap this plastic shed idea, it already cost me $60 and i only have 1/3 done.Think i will just put the original sides/back on and just close up the front with plastic.That should close off the boat from the elements and with a heater warm up the insides of the tent.I posted a couple of more pictures.Tug
Tug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i finished the plastic enclosure,i found a roll of plastic in the attic from when i did some insulating/used lumber i already had so it didn't cost me any more than the original $60.00.She is pretty well sealed up,about 95% done,hope the sun heats it up enough to paint. Sunday i will throw a heater inside and see if i can heat it up enough to fill some screw holes with Marine- Tex.I posted a few pictures.Tug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: