The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas Tips That I've Learned (the hard way)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Wallas Tips That I've Learned (the hard way) Reply with quote

I was preparing a reply to a different thread and decided that this info would be easier to find as a new topic...it's mostly a rehash of other discussions.

After living with my Wallas for over 15 years I can report that FRESH FUEL is the most important thing to keeping her running.

Some tips that I've learned along the way...

I use Klean Heat (preferred) or 100% mineral spirits and carefully search for the clearest fuel on the store's shelf (my stove's a '93 and is *kerosene only*). As it ages it takes on a cloudy appearance (and produces a noticeable odor). The folks at Klean Heat told me that their product will keep for a year but you never know how long a jug's been sitting in the store or in a warehouse.

Once I've purchased my fuel I date it with a Sharpie and store it unopened in the house where the temperature and humidity are constant.

Dispose of old, unused fuel, especially from the tank in the boat.

When my stove starts misfiring (popping, roaring, etc) I can usually buy some time by running some 99% isopropyl alchohol through it which cleans the wick(mine has a fuel return line to the tank, newer ones don't ? so this wouldn't apply to them).

Carry a spare wick and glow-plug (fuel vaporizer and glow-primer in Wallas-Speak) and be prepared to service it in the boat, out on the water.

Only attempt to start it when there's sufficiently high voltage. I like to either be running the motor or the battery charger with batteries paralleled in the all or both position on the battery switch. Mine draws 10 amps @ startup.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to incur the curse of the Wallas.

I use either Clean Heet or filtered $4/gal kerosene in Journey On's Wallas. Never have changed the fuel in the tank, but we go through about 1 gal/yr.

It runs great, never popped or burped. Judy runs it on high for awhile before turning it off.

Shows what clean living and being good can do. Pat Anderson might advise otherwise. and yes I've had a beer.

Boris
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before attempting to start the Wallas I always check the voltage via a cheap digital plug in meter. Makes it easy to determine whether both motors need to be running or where to set the battery switch to make sure the voltage is high enough for a smooth start. I have found the starting process to be trouble free with 13+ volts on the meter.

Used to run only the Kleen Heat too, but with the now ultra low sulfur in the diesel at the pumps have switched to it. Without the sulfur no noticeable diesel smell like in the past and last summer in Southeast Alaska the Wallas had never run or started as well up until the fan shaft bushing glue let go causing it to over heat. As I wrote in trip report in process of repairing the fan, I thought the control board shorted out. After returning home sent it off to Scan Marine and instead of the $1000 bill I was expecting it was just slightly over $400 including shipping. They did a complete service and the only thing wrong was the smaller control board for the fuel pump was bad, so that's what I had shorted out in my repair job instead of the mother board.

Thinking of a combination PWS and Southeast Alaska cruise this coming spring and sure hope the Wallas keeps running. Love it when it works. The dry heat for cooking and cabin heat was sorely missed on those foggy, rainy days last summer.

Jay

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a note on "sufficiently high voltage".

My boat came from the factory with 10 gauge wiring feeding the helm fuse panel, and a 16 gauge wire feeding the Wallas. That's way too small for the loads connected, and results in excessive voltage drop when the Wallas is started. With the motor started, I'd get "sufficiently high voltage" for proper operation.
After upgrading the wiring, I no longer need to start the motor, as I still have 12+volts at the unit.
For those of you that want to check, try reading voltage at the battery, then at the input terminals on the Wallas at start-up. If you find more than 5-10% voltage drop, then you too should consider bumping the wire size up a few notches.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the Kean Heat and started engine for first fire ups of the Wallas.

Additionally, I start it at maximum thermostat setting and stop it at maximum thermostat setting as has been suggested in some old posts.

I keep the boat operating all year 'round here in the Midwest (KS, OK) and the stove/furnace has yet to skip a beat. Knock on wood.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: