View previous topic :: View next topic  
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: How are the new 22's? Reply with quote

A number of you were at the new factory this weekend for the fiberglass/gelcoat class and have mentioned the exceptional build quality and improvements to the 22. For those of us who couldn't be there and haven't seen Triton's work up close, and for potential new boat buyers, can anyone share some details about the new boats? Any photos would be great, too.

And Triton seems to deserve credit for doing great work. Keep it up!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of photos of all boats on the factory site. A dealer in NC said he'd seen a few of the new ones from Triton and they were the best C-Dorys he'd ever seen. I plan to see for myself at SBS 11.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice quality of fit & finish. They used small items that to me were a vast improvement. For instance; on the rub rail instead of the very cheezy black plastic ends on my '07, they had shiny stainless (?) end fittings; 90 degree elbows at the stern and a nice one piece up front. Overall quality looked great; even in 'hidden' spots the glass layup etc was neat & clean. The roof of the house appeared to have been glassed up even on the exterior. On my '07 it's just sealed with a black sealant and not very neatly either. Just a few quick observations on my part.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other items I noticed.
1) The water fill has been moved back about 4". Now it is just behind the bulkhead instead of just in front of the little step up on the walkway. The step up is designed so that when water runs back along the edges of the cabin on the walk way, it hit the step up and rolls off the side instead of into the cockpit. With the water fill just in front of it, water could gather there. If the fill tube wasn't sealed properly, water could run inside the cabin. That was the source of a leak on my boat just after delivery and it took me a long time to figure it out. Apparently Scott could see it coming and without ever having been aware of such a problem having occurred, fixed it for all future CD 22 owner.
2) The bilge has been permanently moved to a bilge well in the aft end (where it belongs). The bilge pump has been upgraded to a Rule 2000. Good move.
3) The bottom of the fiberglass below the gunnels and wrapping around to under the transom is now finished with a nice aluminum edge (instead of the black plastic edging. Much nice look.
4) As Mark noted the corners and the termination on all the rub rails are now nice stainless pieces. Very solid and MUCH nicer looking.
5) Under the trademark C-Dory stripe, the factory has added a thin color contrasting pin-stripe. It really brightens up the look. It looked very cool to me.
6) The doors on the cabinetry are now standard as teak doors. Much nicer.
7) The boats are now all equipped with a standard wiring harness that hooks to a "dealer bus". Dealers are now (or soon will be) supplied with a standardized and recommended wiring diagram. That will make the boats more standardized and much easier to trouble shoot in the future.

I'm sure there are dozens of other little things I didn't notice but the key thing to me was that many of the little annoying things that a real BOATER would recognize as a problem or an annoyance are fixed in the newer builds. That's because Scott who oversees the builds IS A REAL BOATER. He's been on boats since he was a kid and spent many years working as a commercial fisherman. So he's not just a boat builder, he's a life long boater and he knows what is right and what will be annoying in the future. He can and does change the designs and builds to take care of all those small things.

I also had a nice talk with Scott after the class. He's acutely aware of the benefits that the factory gets buy selling direct and/or repairing what they built (and what the previous factories built). This allows him and the other builders to see and "own" the problems in the design. This in turn results in design changes to reduce the problems. As long as the factory stays engaged at this level, the designs will rapidly improve and ultimately will approach perfection.

I'm certain there are dozens of other minor changes to the 22 that Scott has made that I didn't notice. However, all the changes that I did notice were quite clever and will only improve the boat. Based on that, I think the line is in good hands.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I excited or what! Great news, the boat looks so well done, I wanna go burn some gas. George
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Charlie, Mark, and Roger. It sounds like the company is in great hands!
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
... acutely aware of the benefits that the factory gets buy selling direct...

Are you saying that Triton is selling C-Dory's factory direct? This would be news to us, and would radically change the relationship we hoped to have with Triton.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
sjboysen
C-Dory Factory Representative

City/Region: Bellingham
Photos: Triton Plant Photos
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Matt, we are not selling factory direct. Rogers comment was related to the fact that I find that the quickest way for us to resolve a problem in either the design or our build is for us to do the repairs and for us to have the direct interaction with the boat owners as they are the ones using the boat.

I hope that this clears it up, but if you have concerns please give us a call to discuss further.

Scott
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:
rogerbum wrote:
... acutely aware of the benefits that the factory gets buy selling direct...

Are you saying that Triton is selling C-Dory's factory direct? This would be news to us, and would radically change the relationship we hoped to have with Triton.

Matt and Scott,

Sorry for the confusion I created. As Scott points out the factory is not selling direct BUT they are providing repair services AND they are building to order (allowing future owners input into what they want on the boat). By doing repairs on the boats themselves (even if it's only a small number of the total boats sold), the factory guys who do the building get to see the problems with their own eyes. I think this goes a long way to improving the design over time. When repairs are only done at the dealers, the dealers will report problems to a factory liaison, who may report the problem to the manager of the builds, who in turn may report it to the guys who actually do the builds. Doing some repairs right on the factory floor takes a couple of layers of communication out of the process and allows the builders to see the problem first hand. IMHO this can only result in a better boat, especially if the builders' jobs don't turn over too rapidly (e.g. the guys stick around long enough to build some institutional memory).

Also, seeing several boats a year (both at CBGT's and at the factory) allows the factory to see the common modifications made by the end user. Seeing those mods and understanding the rationale for them also provides good information for future, potential design changes. To my mind, this is also good.

However, probably more important than the mechanism for communicating these kinds of things is who is on the receiving end of the communications. In this case Scott. Since Scott is supervising production directly AND Scott knows how to build himself AND Scott knows a lot about boats and boating from personal experience, he can filter through the ideas and problems and prioritize them appropriately. I've got great confidence in Scott and gained more after taking the gel coat course from him. At the risk of offending either Scott or Jeff Mesmer, I see Scott as the "Jeff equivalent" at Triton (or perhaps a mixture of Jeff Mesmer and Andrew Custis). Those who know Jeff personally, will see this as high praise for Scott. Those who haven't followed this site for a long time won't know what I'm talking about... Smile
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
At the risk of offending either Scott or Jeff Mesmer, I see Scott as the "Jeff equivalent" at Triton (or perhaps a mixture of Jeff Mesmer and Andrew Custis). Those who know Jeff personally, will see this as high praise for Scott. Those who haven't followed this site for a long time won't know what I'm talking about... Smile

Roger, I agree with you. I had the same concerns about "factory direct" but both the post by Scott and the question George (Ghone) answered by PM laid that to rest for me.

I know at least one dealer that has recently quit handling Ranger Tugs because of the factory direct issue. He simply cannot make any profit when he can be "undercut" by the factory every time. Not a good thing for boat dealers. This may be one way of getting a person exactly the boat he/she wants (and maybe it works fine for a factory selling 25-29 footers) but it seems as if Triton has come up with another/better (IMO) way to do it that is a win-win for all.

Charlie
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
7) The boats are now all equipped with a standard wiring harness that hooks to a "dealer bus". Dealers are now (or soon will be) supplied with a standardized and recommended wiring diagram. That will make the boats more standardized and much easier to trouble shoot in the future.

I just talked to Scott and he's working on this and said he'd have it done by end of February, at which point he'd supply a PDF to us.

forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been lusting after C-Dorys since the mid 90's and going over them with a fine toothed comb. The new ones are so far above anything that the Tolands, Reynolds, or Fluid Marine ever built, given that I had the resources, I would never buy used over a new Triton built C-Dory. The new ones are that much better.
Forrest
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest--what makes them better?
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help but FWIW here it is.

I can give only my personal take. We have a 2006 22' cruiser and have been happy with it. But there is evidence of some sloppiness in secondary fit and finish. For example we had to have a repair on a the water tank vent because it was incorrectly placed, not installed properly and led to a minor water leak. Not a crisis, nothing to cause concern over basic structures, just a "care-less" mistake showing lax quality control. We have used the boat a lot and have over 700 hours on the engines and see no cracks, separations etc. Having said that, I've been to the new factory twice and the pride in workmanship is very evident. I have seen several small changes that give evidence of thoughtfulness and high standards. I like what I see. I suspect the new boats are better built than mine is but have no worries about my own boat.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe my Kerri On to be the first of the 2011 boats. Like Barry said the quality of care is really evident. Very neat workmanship, superior gelcoat finish inside, the fittings are robust all the way around even hinges on cabinet doors are heavy duty. Teak for cabinet doors, all the wiring is very well done.

My 19 was done by Fluid Marine and to a very high standard. The new 22 is several notches above that one. I have been thru the whole boat and it all looks very well done.

Now getting out cruising is in order. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: