View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: St Johns Christmas 09 Reply with quote

I just posted yesterday some pictures from a cruise we took on the St. Johns River. We launched on Lake Harney west of Mims, FL on Sat. Dec. 26th and cruised north up to about Palatka, FL. Had a wonderful time and had a chance to re-charge our batteries after a hectic Thanksgiving (24 for dinner) and Christmas (49 for Christmas Eve party). We returned to Lake Harney on Sat., Jan. 2nd. This is the 3rd year we have made this trip and it will probably be a standard for us for years to come. The wildlife, birds and scenery are just what the Dr. ordered to relax and get things back in focus. We had a chance to cruise up the Ocklawaha River to the Rodman Dam this year. What a treat! It is one of the three major tributaries of the St. Johns along with the Econlockhatchee and the Wekiva and it is pristine and surrounded by a Cypress Swamp and the Ocala Nat'l. Forest. Not a house or structure the entire length. The weather was much colder this year than last, but we had a cabin heater this year powered by the Honda 1000 and that made all the difference. Last year I forgot to pack warm clothes since it was shirt sleeve weather when we left and Toby forgot to pack warm clothes this year. As you can see from some of the pictures, she got first pick of my warm clothes as I had packed twice what I needed. I caught enough Specs (Crappie) and catfish to feed us most of the time and we had brought along ham and turkey from Christmas for sandwiches and eggs from our chickens and bacon, so we only had to stop once for some fresh milk and ice. Of course, we carried more than enough "Adult Beverages". The weather turned cold, rainy and windy on New Year's Eve which was the pre-cursor to the cold weather that has invaded the south since then, so the trip back to Lake Harney was a bit of a wild ride, but it was fine in the dry, warm cabin. This river would be a great one to put on the "To Do" list for those of you that make it out of the cold down this way for the winter.

Stay Warm...Tad
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great cruise, I'm jealous. Water is too hard at the shoreline to launch up here on Lake Superior.

Jay
SGIDave

City/Region: St. George Island
Vessel Name: Seadation - SOLD 09/2013
Photos: SeaDation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tad and Toby,

That looks like a great cruise. And nice pics too. Thanks for sharing.

/david
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: I'm headed for the St Johns Reply with quote

I'm trailering from Wisconsin to the St Johns for the third year in a row, starting Friday, January 22, weather permitting. I'm always hesitant to say just how much I love the St Johns, for fear I'll help get it commercialized like other parts of Florida. It's still mostly pristine, with more wildlife and beautiful scenery than any other place I know. I'll be keeping a journal here:

http://smittypaddler.com/cds/index.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, we need to do a "road/water trip" down there soon--especially with warmer air temps. I think we are comming up on our 13th night where it dropped under 31 degrees in a row. Close to a record. But some of the St. John's is further South, and as it warms up, should be great cruising.

Where did you put in?--How was the security for the truck and trailer?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Put-in and security Reply with quote

The first year, 2008, I put in at Monroe Harbor, and left my boat and trailer there in the public parking lot. When I got back after a week my car and trailer were untouched, and the canoe I had on the roofrack was also safe. In 2009 I put in at Welaka and left my boat and trailer at Welaka Lodge. This year I plan on leaving my car and trailer at Acosta Creek Harbor, near Welaka, where I've rented a cottage for the month of February, and I'll be staying on the boat in a slip the month of March. Security seems good and there are lots of places to put in, with secure storage nearby, in the south part of the river, say from Palatka south. I'd be more hesitant in the more populous northern section of the river, but I don't have any personal experience, good or bad, with security there. It just seems to make sense that the closer you get to Jacksonville, which is a really big city, the more likely you are to have problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Tad and pictures. My GF and I had planned to go to the Springs on New Years Day but the cold weather made us chicken out.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on places to put in. I agree that the middle of the area--away from Jacksonville should be safer.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having relocated from SW Florida to Astor, Fl. and living on the St. John’s River I would like to extend my services to any of the Brat’s who wish to cruise this area of the river. Those services include providing information on launching, storage and local knowledge for the river and surrounding areas. Where that knowledge might be a bit limited in personal experience, we can make up for it in the ability to ask some of the old timers and get right back to you with the down and dirty.

Here at Astor we have several launch sites and there is an abundance of secure storage available. Grocery’s , wine and beer, Ace Hardware and nice dinning on the river is available or just a short drive away. Judy and I , as always will be more then happy to provide transportation for our fellow Brats.

For the RV’er’s there are several campgrounds with pads and cabins for rent.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Tad and Toby Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Toby and I are looking forward to our St. John's trip again this year. We plan on launching again this year on Lake Harney the day after Christmas, leaving our truck and trailer at the Jolly Gator restraunt compound and cruising for a week. We will travel at least up to Palatka before heading back south. We hope to get a chance to meet you and Judy sometime around the middle of the week. This trip always recharges our engines after the hectic holiday activities.
By the way, we had a great time in September on the West coast. Bob Bigelow was going to be out of town that week so he made arrangements with his brother David to be at Bob's house and ride with us to the launch at Punta Rassa and then bring our rig back to Bob's house. On our return a week later, I called Bob about an hour before we returned to P.R. and Bob met us, helped us load up and then rode back with us to his house where we had a chance to meet his wife Dawn. What great folks and I found out he doesn't even own a C Dory, but has made quite a few friends in the C Brats. We have decided that we will have our summer vacation again next year on the west coast. We didn't even make a dent in all the areas we want to see. Cayo Costa...WOW!

Tad
Papillon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad and Toby Jackson wrote:
Mike,

What great folks and I found out he doesn't even own a C Dory, but has made quite a few friends in the C Brats. Cayo Costa...WOW!

Tad

Tad, all those pizza tossers are the same...just nice guys. Give me a heads up and I will provide you with a hot meal and a hot shower...or anything else you may need. We look foward to meeting you and your lovley wife.
Tad and Toby Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

We also look forward to meeting you all. Time seems to pass so quickly nowadays that it is right around the corner. How far have you all traveled south on the River? We have done extensive exploring as far south as Lake Hell n Blazes although it was in a smaller boat and at different times of the year when the water is up. We would love to start our Christmas trip by launching west of Cocoa, but at that time of year the water is typically too low for that. The section of the River from Lake Poinsett up to Lake Harney is really our most favorite. It is totally undeveloped and wild. A lot more gators down this way! Also very easy to get off track in the Puzzle Lake section of the River. Just south of Lake Harney is the confluence of the Econlockhatchee River and the St. John's. The Econ is one of the 3 major tributaries of the St. John's and is absolutely beautiful. The other two are the Wekiva River and the Ocklawaha.

Tad
Papillon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tad,
We have only been about 10 miles south on the river and to the top of Lake George so far. Now that we have gotton settled in and the days and nights have started to cool off, we will be venturing out further and doing a few over night trips.

Here is a map to our place...we are at Parramore's Fantastic Fish Camp and Family Resort....now that's a mouth full. That is located in the oxbow just across from the enterance into Blue Creek....where I know you have visited on a previous trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: