View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: The 2010 Hunkydory adventures of Jay & Jo-Lee Reply with quote

A whole month into retirement. Have made a 17 day trip to see folks in Calif and sight see up the coast to Washington. Most memorable sight was the air museum in Evergreen Washington where the Spruce Goose along with many other aircraft is on display. Upon return, days spent in prep to go north. Then our first grandchild arrived two days ago. Made a trip to Boulder, Colo for that grand event. Returned back home again yesterday and today spare bearing and hub assembly for the boat trailer plus the rental sim card for the Sat phone arrived. Also some minor problems involving grease zerks and power steering solved today so we are finally clear for take off on either Sunday or Monday to head north.

Think its a bit late for PWS so its back to Skagway, Alaska with some Yukon lake exploring later. Am tentatively thinking of PWS in early May next year.

Hope to see Ken in Elfin Cove and maybe (fingers crossed) even Casey and maybe some other C-Brats too.

Jay

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, since you're from out of state, we are going to cut you some slack... The people at Evergreen Aviation in McMinnville, Oregon would be horrified to learn that the Spruce Goose has moved to Washingtion:-)

I am glad you got to go through the museum. It is really great. My neighbor is one of the docents, and got to assist with putting a ME 262 together last week. I need to go back and spend a day in the aerospace side...

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to post lots of pictures so we can go along for the ride too. Oh did you get the PM about the mokai in Salt Lake?

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll all be looking forward to the photos essays and stories from the Hunky Dory!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Do it the way you always do it!

Best wishes,
Jim
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Jay, since you're from out of state, we are going to cut you some slack... The people at Evergreen Aviation in McMinnville, Oregon would be horrified to learn that the Spruce Goose has moved to Washingtion:-)

I am glad you got to go through the museum. It is really great. My neighbor is one of the docents, and got to assist with putting a ME 262 together last week. I need to go back and spend a day in the aerospace side...

Appreciate the slack, cause I sure did mess the location up. My only excuse is with retirement I can chalk it up to just another Senior Moment. After reading so much about Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose it was great to see, but my favorite experience there was being allowed to go aboard and check the interior of the B-17. One of my favorite tv shoes as a youngster was "12 O'clock High" and have read many accounts of its action in WW11, so was a real privilege to climb aboard the real deal.

Jody, just sent you a PM about the Mokai for sale and will tell you here again thanks for the heads up. It was in great shape, so picked it up today for a very good price. This is going to set back our leaving a couple days.

Yes we will be taking lots of photos to share again this trip and Jim we do plan on continuing to explore those isolated nooks just like in the past only this time more in a slow motion mode.

Jay
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
After reading so much about Howard Hughes and the Spruce Goose it was great to see, but my favorite experience there was being allowed to go aboard and check the interior of the B-17. One of my favorite tv shoes as a youngster was "12 O'clock High" and have read many accounts of its action in WW11, so was a real privilege to climb aboard the real deal.

Now that you are retired you should not settle for just going aboard the B-17. A couple of years ago my wife gave me a gift of a flight (out of the Seattle Museum of Flight, but they tour the country; see the schedule) on the Liberty Belle. A bit spendy but if you are into this kind of thing, well worth the money!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I missed the first part of this story; are you now a two Mokai family?

Best,
Casey
PS: As mentioned previously, the truck is fixed, and today I plan to complete the load-out, and be back on the road on Monday.

,,,hope to get beyond mile eight this time!

Best,
Casey

jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee,

Looks like you are making the most of your retirement time. We are looking forward to hearing (and seeing) reports of your trip north.

Best,
Harper

jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay and Jolee,

Looks like you are making the most of your retirement time. We are looking forward to hearing (and seeing) reports of your trip north.

Best,
Harper
moabarch

City/Region: Moab
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Opus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - regarding the Mokai, I think I'm hooked. I see that they are now using a Subaru motor - do you know anything about them as opposed to the Honda?
My wife tells me if we go that way, we would have to get two and not just one! That might be load for a CD22 - maybe we'd have to then get a CD25. Gads, this is adding up.

I think we could these things here in Moab on the Colorado River and go all way downstream to the confluence with the Green River. Sounds like way too much fun to me.....

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren---Thanks for the info on the Liberty Belle. Now you might find this amusing from some of my past tales and exploits. During my time as a Paratrooper I was scared to death of flying. Would much rather jump out of a plane then land in one and not much as changed sense. Now Jo-Lee would jump at the chance and love it also her Dad spent time as a tail gunner and in the ball turret before being shot down. He survived with neck and back injuries.

Casey--Yep you did miss the first part and it happened the day after I PM'd you last. Will call or PM you today on how this came about.

Tom & Nancy--Its definitely easy to get hooked on the Mokai. Don't know anything about the change to a Subaru motor. Just hope it wasn't due to any problems with the Honda.

Agree you could have some great times with a pair of them in your area. Wouldn't want to try putting two on a top of either a CD22 or CD25, but if you do would love to see how.

Jay
moabarch

City/Region: Moab
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Opus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking I could put mine on top and drive the 22 while Nancy follows in the Mokai. She could just cruise along talking all she wants and I probably couldn't hear her! I could let her back on board for lunch maybe....
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Mokai with the Subaru has a little more hp and higher rpm's. I think it goes 5 mph faster.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
The new Mokai with the Subaru has a little more hp and higher rpm's. I think it goes 5 mph faster.

Jody, think I might have waited and bought one new with Subaru motor if I would have known that. The way they are now is great at sea level, but at altitude's in Wyoming and I suspect somewhat in Utah its pretty limiting. Know max speed on Yellowstone Lake at near 8000 ft is only 7 to 8 mph now which is just slightly above displacement speed and with any added weight displacement speed is max.

Jay
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask the factory if we could upgrade and how much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: