Wallkerbay

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: HUNKEYDORY
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: ETHANOL Reply with quote

I just read an artical on MSN. It was listed on thier Business News Web Site THE EPA HAS NOW APPROVED THE USE OF 15 % ETHENOL for use as a motor fuel.WWW[url]MSN.COM/ Business. Mad THANK YOU EPA Neal Hope it works.[/url] I still am not able to links. Embarassed [/list][/list]
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"EPA will approve the use of gasoline with 15 percent ethanol (E15) for new vehicles built in model year 2007 and after, said an industry source following the process, but will reject the request to raise the ethanol content for vehicles manufactured before 2001 and for off-road machinery."

Oh, now that's going to go smoothly...

Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go: Mad

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press Writer

Ethanol Use Grows

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration says gas stations can start selling fuel with more ethanol - a mixture of up to 15 percent - but it's only recommended for cars and light trucks built since 2007.

Motorists with older vehicles will need to watch what they're pumping or risk damaging their engines with too much corn-based fuel, the Environmental Protection Agency says. The current blend is 10 percent ethanol.

The move means that gas stations, if they choose to sell the fuel, will have to use special pumps and signs to make sure consumers don't fill their vehicles with the wrong fuel. The EPA said it will propose new pump labeling requirements to help consumers figure out which gas to use.

The ethanol industry says the agency should have allowed the higher blend for more vehicles, arguing that testing shows that it is safe. The EPA was more cautious, saying Wednesday that it will wait until more tests are completed in November to approve vehicles manufactured between 2001 and 2006.

The agency said owners of cars and trucks made before that - along with motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles or non-road engines - will have to wait even longer, if such vehicles are approved at all.

The move, which comes less than a month before November's midterm elections, is politically popular in rural farm areas. But ethanol faces strong opposition from the auto industry, environmentalists, cattle ranchers, food companies and a broad coalition of other groups.

Opponents argue that the increase in production of corn and its diversion into ethanol is making animal feed more expensive, raising prices at the grocery store and tearing up the land. Manufacturers of smaller engines - used in everything from lawn mowers to boats - also oppose increasing the use of the fuel, saying those engines are not designed for the higher concentrations.

The Obama administration has remained supportive of the renewable fuel. EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson said Wednesday that "wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more homegrown fuels in America's vehicles, this administration takes those steps."

The EPA has said a congressional mandate for increased ethanol use can't be achieved without allowing higher blends. Congress has required refiners to blend 36 billion gallons of biofuels, mostly ethanol, into auto fuel by 2022.

The ethanol industry has maintained that there is sufficient evidence to show that a 15 percent ethanol blend in motor fuel will not harm engine performance. They say increased consumption of the renewable fuel creates new jobs and replaces imported oil.

The industry group Growth Energy petitioned the EPA to raise the blend in March 2009. The decision was initially expected last December but was delayed twice as the agency and the Energy Department completed additional testing.

Growth Energy President Tom Buis called the move a "good first step" and said the fuel could be available for sale as soon as early next year. He urged the agency to quickly approve the blend for older vehicles, saying there is no reason to limit the higher concentration to the newer models.

Critics said the decision could be a frustration to drivers and argued that many retailers will opt not to sell the higher blend because of the expense of adding new pumps and signs.

"We're really going to make the consumers a guinea pig here," said Craig Cox of the Environmental Working Group, an environmental advocacy group that opposes increases in the fuel. "Have we really thought through what it's going to take to distinguish E15 to E10?"

The EPA said the 2007 and newer models eligible for the fuel represent more than a third of current gas consumption and more than 65 million vehicles. The rules would affect only those cars and trucks because they have more durable emissions systems. Ethanol burns hotter than gasoline, causing catalytic converters, which treat engine emissions, to break down faster. The newer vehicles have components in the emissions systems that are better able to adjust to the higher ethanol blends.

Automakers said they were worried the EPA decision would eventually lead to motorists unknowingly filling up their older cars and trucks with E15 and hurting their engines.

The problem could be exacerbated if E15 fuels are cheaper than more conventional blends, prompting owners of older vehicles to use the fuel despite the potential engine problems.

"Anytime you're dividing up model years and having different fuels for different model years, then it risks a misfueling situation and that's a real concern for the longterm success of alternative fuels," said Gloria Bergquist, spokeswoman for Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers.

Since 2000, U.S. automakers have increased production of so-called flex-fuel vehicles, which can run on blends of up to 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline. There are currently about 8 million flex-fuel vehicles on the road. Detroit automakers have pledged to make about half of their vehicle production capable of running on E85 by 2012.

The Obama administration's decision to boost the ethanol concentration in gasoline is a victory for the industry as it struggles to hold onto other subsidies. An increased public skepticism of the renewable fuel has caused some lawmakers who have always championed ethanol to divert the money to other priorities. A key tax credit is scheduled to expire at the end of this year, and some in Congress are considering cutting it or doing away with it altogether.

Ethanol producers say expiration of the credits, which are paid to oil companies as an incentive to blend gasoline with ethanol, could mean the loss of almost 40 percent of the industry's plants and tougher times for a domestic fuel that is good for national security.

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More confusion: "The EPA plans to solicit comment on how gasoline pumps should be labeled, so as to avoid or reduce the potential that drivers will put the wrong fuel into their cars"
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this:

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope the vehicles of all the folks responsible for this have their engines disintegrate and leave them stranded on a lonely stretch of highway in the hot desert sun for days with no cell phone coverage... Twisted Evil
C-Brat #16
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Would having square pumpfittings work for that? How about 2" fill nozzels Twisted Evil

Lets face it, Those EPA guys who did that approving, probably don't even own a car, (and you can be pretty sure they don't own boats our size.) They get a towncar or limo, or taxi, and fly charter. "Make em go away, OK"

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry I think the top of my head just exploded. This is going to be catastrophic.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not approved for off road (read power equipment, boats, etc). But if the industry moved to E15, boaters would be stuck with it.

Right now, I can't imagine stations offering the product, unless the refiners offer it at significantly lower prices to help push it so they can meet the government mandated levels of Ethonal use. (That mandate goes up each year, even as fuel use goes down...)

I am amzed at the stupidity of the government, and the comment "wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more homegrown fuels in America's vehicles, this administration takes those steps..." is so assinine I can't stand it.

Ultimately this will end up costing consumers a lot of money, just as E10 cost sonsumers a lot of money. Science be damned, working people be damned. They know what's best for us because we're too stupid.

And for continueing to elect these fools, we prove them right.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am amazed at the stupidity of the government...

I ran out of amazement years ago...I've moved on to blatant, unrelenting cynicism w/ a crushing loss of faith. Just look at the current advertising for the November election. Not one iota of any usable, new, creative idea...just mud, insults, lies and fabrications. And these people are our purported "leaders". Rolling Eyes
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this mornings paper, there was an article about China buying 60% interest in an Oklahoma oil field to support their growing economy.

Well, I guess we can export our oil to China (after all, they own it,) and look forward to more alcohol.

How about 20%, should make those farmers happy.

Boris
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saddened, because I am going to be forced out of working in an industry I love.

I am so glad that I never had children, because there is no way I would want to have left them the crushing debt and stupid regulation that is going to destroy this economy and eventually the country as we know it.
ramos

City/Region: WASCO
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,
I know ethanol has no place in our fuel, no argument there. However, farming is as tough a way to make a living as any other private business. It only makes sense to plant whatever crop gives me the best return on input. It would be like asking Matt to sell only X# of boats/year at a given profit when he could sell twice as many at the same profit level/unit. Why would he make a decision to not maximize his income? Matt, please forgive me for pirating you.
Respectfully,
Jon

C-Squirt
neil mcclellan

City/Region: sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ramblin rose
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Ethanol Reply with quote

I,m with you Matt, if we keep going down this road of gov. intervention our county as we know it will be gone. Party choice will not save us. That being said throw all the incumbents out and start over, as I see none worth keeping.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I willing to make the bold prediction that none of this will lead to the level of gloom and doom being discussed in this thread. If Matt leaves the industry, I doubt E15 will be the driving force. Also, since the current regs don't approve E15 for older vehicles, I doubt that the entire industry with switch over to E15. Rather some will either switch over their pumps to offer E15 as a 4th option OR they will get rid of one of the other grades of gas on their pumps. As long as E0 or E10 is available (which will be required if you want to sell to a large fraction of the market), the consumer demand for E15 won't be very high.

I'm not saying I like the E15 policy it's just not the end of the earth as we know it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: