View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: reAnchoring in the midst of Night Reply with quote

Gee's what does that title mean?? ...let me explain.

Saturday was my last night on Lake Powell following a delightful two weeks on the water and a great Powell CBGT. The weather had been as close to perfect as one can expect, for the whole period.

Let me back up a bit. I had launched at Wahweap, so decided to anchor-out in a protected cove on Warm Creek Bay only a few miles from Wahweap, and enjoy my final night afloat.

For some reason, I have a habit of reconning my anchor sites before the sun goes down just in case the wx blows up during the night and I have to make a middle-of-the-night "relocation." That night it was a good idea!

About 200yards to the west was a smallish sandy beach, and about 100 yards to the east was a large rock outcropping. I marked each location with a GPS waypoint and proceeded to drop and set the anchor. The evening was beautiful, with only a hint of breeze.

About 9:30PM (it was fully dark and the moon hadn't come up yet...) I awoke to the sounds of water slapping the hull. When I got up to check the anchor and my location, it became clear the anchor had drug. I reset the anchor but it never held against the approx 20-25K wind. I figured it was time to find that sandy beach and "go ashore."

The chartplotter was already turned-on so navigating to the pre-selected beach (and avoiding the rock outcrop...) was reasonably easy.

Lessons learned:
(1) Thinking about what you "might" have to do if weather deteriorates during the night can be very useful. In the dark, remembering where my "retreat" area was, and having a waypoint layed-in, was extremely helpful. I've followed this anchoring routine for years, but Sunday night was the first time I've actually had to implement it. Now I'll be almost compulsive about it!
(2) Naturally we all have a good flashlight on board. ...my flashlight worked, but the batteries weren't optimum. I had spares for everything except the flashlight! ...Duh. Now I'll be shopping for a good (and hopefully small) hand-held spotlight to keep handy.
(3) Before going to bed I usually stow galley things away and keep my headlamp and flashlight in their own special location(s). It helped to have things put away where they belong, which lessened the stress of the nighttime Adventure!

...just some thoughts.

Best,
Casey

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, just out of nosiness, what was the bottom and what kind of anchor did you have?

Boris
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris,

I use a Delta (14# as I recall), and it has always worked fine in the past so I'm not sure what happened this time. There was nothing on the anchor when I retrieved it, so I'm guessing that I may have initially caught a rock(edge?) but with a change in wind direction, it released.

Best,
Casey
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One evening on Powell we had to work at setting our Bruce anchor...it did not dig in well.... the bottom was small shale rock....and the holding was somewhat iffy.... Except for Fish Halk Roger... who found what must have been a huge rock to hook. (or a crack in the rock face) ..... in the morning he had a heck of a time getting the hook up..... it was in 30 to 40' of water and I was amazed he managed to get it loose..... I really thought it was a goner.

Joel
SEA3PO
Jim & Dara

City/Region: Santa Rosa
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: PLAN B
Photos: Jim & Dara (TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this experience. I have yet to anchor out overnight but we are both looking forward to getting out soon.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spend enough time swinging on the hook you will have to get up in the middle of a pitch black night and move you’re a-s. Been there done that, love boating!

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey's approach with the reconnoitering and the use of the GPS is the best overall approach, but I'd also strongly recommend a powerful searchlight and boat lights in situations where you need to see the shore in tight mooring situations.

Do it quite a bit at Shasta Lake!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, Way to lighten up the conversation. Laughing Laughing

Idea Idea Idea Hot Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
You spend enough time swinging on the hook you will have to get up in the middle of a pitch black night and move you’re a-s. Been there done that, love boating!

Yep, I've been there and done that too Laughing , but sure find it a lot less stressful when I did as Casey suggested before. When out exploring new areas its wise to not only reconnoiter before deploying but have a back up for essential equipment and its use plans. This is obvious in anchoring, but just as important in other aspects of boating such as rounding capes and points, tidal passages, opening water crossings, exploring bay heads, shallow water areas with surging seas and of course the list goes on and on. With most of these I've learned lessons the hard way and no doubt still have some of them to get through in the future, but if they can be learned here by examples such as Casey's its sure much easier on the wallet and body.

We've become very picky about where and when we drop the hook, always on the look for the so called "bomb proof anchorage" especially with poor weather on the horizon due mainly to not wanting to repeat unpleasant expereinces from the past.

Jay

baensch-ak

City/Region: Prineville
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: G. S. Lollipop
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, good points made above. Had to re-anchor in the dark recently when the wind came up and have NO excuse. Karen and I have anchored from Desolation Sound to the Bahamas. To wit: The most common failing is not enough rode out to drag the anchor flat on the ground to set initially. (You can safely shorten rode a bit after setting well if space is an issue.) The next one is not backing down on it, or not hard enough, to set properly. Enough heavy chain is helpful, too. A well set anchor of the right size will not let you down - well, by far most of the time. We once had our 35# CQR down well in Maine, holding fine through shifts in tides and wind, until we were below the next day and suddenly saw the scenery go by. When tide and wind ganged up on it, the anchor could not reset because it had fouled with weeds. Lesson: Don't anchor in weeds, pick deeper water where they don't grow. To address getting hung up, rig a trip line, especially in BC where there are a lot of logging cables on the bottom. We snagged one in Charleston Hbr. and it was a project to get free. We just got a Manson 15# that has a slot in the shank, allowing pull in the opposite direction from setting, without a trip line. Have yet to use it, but Lloyds gives it top marks for quick setting and holding. Yet no anchor hold securely in big rocks. All types need a chance to dig in. If you have a windlass, a strong swivel is a good idea to take care of the inevitable twist in the rode.
Plotters have anchor alarms - set it and use it. If power is an issue, use a hand held GPS, zoom in, watch the pattern the boat makes while swinging. If concerned, just check to see if that little boat still is in the pattern. As the fellow said above, scouting your anchorage is very good policy, along with good reference points. Beats going bump in the night, or waking up seriously slanted on the rocks. We carry a hand held spot light powered off the 12V plug, but prefer the use of night vision in the dark.
Al & Karen

Previously owned C-D 16' URSA MINOR, C-D 22' PEGASUS, Island Packet 380 FRIENDSHIP live aboard, C-D 16' G.S. LOLLIPOP, Cape Cruiser 23 HARMONY. As of June '19 sailing 'Life of Riley', a C-Dory 22, stored in Bellingham. Al & Karen
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not only dragging, but protection which may cause you to re-locate in the middle of the night. I have done that any number of times. I seem to have an automatic "clock" which gets me up every two hours to check the anchor and bearings.

Also taking not only a GPS location, but a compass bearing out of a anchorage is important. Although lights are very useful when close to land, they can make night vision detiorrate if in areas where the light is not essential, and you need to see natural features against starlight or moonlight.

Also having more than one type of anchor is a good idea--at least one for mud, and another for rocks, sand and combination bottoms.

There are some bottoms where any anchor will just not hold--and you have to move to a better location.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baensch-ak wrote:
If concerned, just check to see if that little boat still is in the pattern.

And this is tracks of a pattern of the Hunkydory at anchor with the wind and tide keeping it in on one half of a circle. Should the wind or tide change enough the pattern would be turned into a full circle and the anchor would have to reset. This came from the Garmin 276C which I keep on at night. A quick glance when getting up during the night at the boat indicator to see if its on the edge of or within the half or full circle relieves all concern and if out of the perimeter something to really be concerned about unless of course plans were made for this possibility before laying down.

Jay
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Anchor Watch in a blow Reply with quote

I use to leave the GPS on at night and still occasionally do, but mostly set a minimum depth alarm on the sonar; I prefer separate GPS and sonar. Only time I set a max depth alarm is if I’m concerned about being blown out into deep water, that’s usually not a concern. Have never seen a half arch or circle track occur on the GPS, usually resembles doodle. Wind direction around PWS changes constantly especially in protected anchorages, so judging your swing and tide correctly is our biggest concern.
Still have vivid memories of being on anchor watch in a bay south of Kodiak in late November. The Loadstar was a 66 foot converted T boat; we had 3 other smaller fishing boats tied along side. Wind was sustaining 40 knots with guests to 75 right down the bay. We dragged anchor twice so decided to attach 2 additional long line anchors out front of the main anchor; that did the trick. While pulling anchor to tie on the additional anchors we snagged an abandoned ground line. The line was alive with sea life; it was eerie watching the line undulate and move as I cut it free; funny how images stick in your mind after 20 years.
Back then we didn’t have GPS technology so you stared at the radar tube all night and watched your depth, staying awake was never a problem.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with the photo of anchor track being unusual in that it did form a perfect half circle resembling an actual ships anchor and that is why I took the photo. Yes more normally the tracks while at anchor would more resemble doodles, but these doodles do often form on one side and in the course of the night as the wind and tides change the far points of the boat swing track form not a perfect circle but an identifiable range extent of the circle around the anchor. Normally after dropping the anchor I watch the extent of the swing points and it seldom takes very long to determine the range the boat should be staying within and as the hours pass by a quick glance in the middle of the night is all that's needed to see if all is well. In my anchoring experience the nights the boat hardly moved at all, but just drifted a little above the anchor not ever setting up an identifiable pattern is as rare as the anchor track photo I showed. I agree the depth indicator alarm can be another anchor drift alarm as well the gps anchor alarm, which I usually set too. With all the displacement speed cruising we do and the low amp output of the Honda's, the small gps is the only electronics we prefer to have on at night.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, a very perfect and revealing trace. You can clearly see where you dropped the hook and the swing you had while "on it". Very instructive.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: