View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beflyguy

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Seven Please
Photos: Seven Please
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Propane lockers, heater and cooktop Reply with quote

Roger on the "SENSEI" asked about my propane locker so I thought I would post about how I built the system. Please ask if I missed some important point.

After reading all the information on-line about propane storage, I knew I needed a proper storage locker. I measured carefully and decided that a 10lb composite cylinder would just fit through the existing hatches in the transom and the rear helm box. I asked around to have boxes built but it seemed to take too much time and money so I built them myself. I used ABS sheet and with a strip heater bent the material to match the hatch (no pun intended for you fly fishermen). It was not easy.

The boxes were attached to the hatch frame with 5200 and sealed pop rivets rather than the hollow type. I built two boxes, one for the cylinder in use and one for an extra cylinder.

I had the hoses built at a local hose shop (Williams Oil Filter Service), and installed the fitting on the 2nd end after adjusting the lengths and installing the bulkhead sealing fittings that were purchased from Sure Marine in Seattle. The hose has a cloth braid on the outside and a steel braid in the middle. I would have preferred to have the hoses come out the top but I couldn't figure out how to install the locker in its tight opening with hoses coming out of both the top and the bottom.

A hole was drilled and tapped in the bottom of each locker and a fitting and hose attached that drains to a through hull just above the waterline near each location.

The front locker (the tank in use) was too deep for the rear helm location so I built 1" spacers to hold the hatch and locker out enough to attach properly.

For the stove, I chose a 14,000 btu burner (maybe overkill) but it boils water in a couple minutes and incidentally heats the cabin in about 30 seconds.

This of course would not do for cabin heat so I chose a Propex 2800 that we like to put in our Vanagons and installed it into the sink cabinet. These heaters have a low current draw and don't use much fuel.

The hot air was run under the helm, through a Y and attached to two outlets under the cabinet, one aimed forward and the other aft.

The heater has an intake and outlet to the exterior so I used a couple of covers to keep rain and spray out.

[/img]

The heater has a thermostat that I mounted to the left of the helm so it can be reached in the forward berth or from the cabin.

So far the system is working very well. It is nice to have clean dry heat on demand. Now all I need is a three way refrigerator and a propane water heater.

Anderson Island WA
Flyer

City/Region: Littleton
State or Province: CO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heater looks like a very good unit.

Also, what is the brand of the stove?

Thanks.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, are those lockers tight enough so that any potential leaks would go to the overboard and not into the bilge? Do you have any kind of alarm that would indicate propane in the bilge?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rub rail sure looks different. Is it rubber on the hull side with an aluminum insert? Looks like it. Mine is aluminum against the hull with a rubber insert.... hmmmm.

Beflyguy

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Seven Please
Photos: Seven Please
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captains Cat wrote:
Brian, are those lockers tight enough so that any potential leaks would go to the overboard and not into the bilge? Do you have any kind of alarm that would indicate propane in the bilge?

Charlie

The lockers are sealed well. If they leaked at all it would be probably be at the hatch and the propane would go into the cockpit. No alarms. I probably would need several but I don't see any more potential for disaster than from having 150 gallons of gasoline aboard.

Not sure of the stove brand, I'll have to look.

Yes the rub rail is stainless over rubber, not sure why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: