View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Two boats battle terrifying storm on Strait of Juan de Fuca Reply with quote

http://threesheetsnw.com/blog/archives/12068
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, great story, and good lessons for all of us. Like for this weekend, Straits are looking real nice until Sunday noon, then it will be nasty, but should be laying down again in the evening. Local experience knows that mornings are usually the best time to cross, evenings are second best usually. Best to have and use a trusted and regular weather source.

Here is one that was passed to me by Dave on Plan C, and I have been liking it:

http://bis_portal.apl.washington.edu/bis_portal_app.php

BIS == Boater Information System

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The seas were getting a little lumpy as the boat passed the south end of the island. By the time Ayeland Fling rounded the bend at Fort Ebey State Park on the west side of Whidbey Island and headed into the strait, the winds were howling and the waves were up to eight feet

This was a go no go moment and he should have turned around there and headed back .

we where going out that afternoon from twin bridges but after looking at the wind and the report decided to spent the night tied to my folks boat in La Connor. After the pounding I took the week before I was not interested in doing it again.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...lesson learned the hard way for them.

I must confess to having a few "pucker moments" while boating, but nothing like what was described in this article. I take enough "risk" at work and don't care to expose family or friends to it out on The Sound. Boating is fun! I want to keep it that way. I try to do the common sense things; safety gear, check the weather, tides etc, have MORE than enough fuel for the planned trip, keep the boat in good mechanical condition etc. But as Forrest Gump said: SHIT HAPPENS. All we can do is the best we can. Our lives and the lives of others rely on it.

(not to mention some rather expenive boats) Wink
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scariest time I've ever had was crossing the Strait North to South. Winds out of the West and an ebbing tide. It was simply whitecaps @ Bird Rocks when I decided to proceed. I kept thinking it was getting better as I got further and further South. I was long past Smith Island before I realized just how bad things were. Much closer to Port Townsend than Lopez, too late to turn around.

At it's worst I VERY SERIOUSLY considered simply turning to port and driving Adeline onto the gravel beaches on Whidbey, 3 or 4 miles to my East. By this time I'd been repeatedly thrown out of the helm seat onto the floor. My Sevylor had been blown off the roof. And I'd "beaked" 3 waves so severely that Adeline had actually been driven backwards, prop forced up out of the water.

I was scared to death and convinced that I was going to die alone out in the Strait.

Somehow I continued and made it to Point Partridge where the strong westerlies had forced me into the kelp beds, overheating my Johnson 70(forcing S.L.O.W. Mode).
I limped in to Port Townsend on my kicker.

This was my first crossing back in '90 or '91 when I was still a rookie in big waters.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Your story goes to show that the C-Dory will take much more of a beating than we can take. Glad you made it. Like Tom said, That skipper passed a "go - no go" moment, and missed an opportunity. Could have been a life ending choice. In his case hopefully, it is a life changing learning experience.

NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE the power of the water, wind and weather. RESPECT is not to strong a word.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: straits weather Reply with quote

When we lived in Seattle area we had a 23 ft Seaswirl aft cabin boat with a few friends we were going up to the san juans from shilshole we passed south tip of whidby and all hell broke loose we were playing victory at sea water crashing over the top not fun .I turned the boat around and came up between Camino and whidby much better ride and waited out the weather . the next day was an easy crossing . I'm sure a lot of us have these pucker moments it makes one relize you can't fool with Mother Nature
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: