The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Rub Rail Repair.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Rub Rail Repair..... Reply with quote

I had my boat alongside my dock last week...I had mooring whips, but somehow we had a ton of wave action and the boat came to close to the dock edge....and ripped the rub rail loose for about 5 feet....it sheared off the pop rivets....

I am sure this has happened to others... So what should I do ?
Drill out the remainder of the rivets and use screws ? or bolts ?

Anything else I should do while I have the rub rail off ?

Thanks

Gotta do it this week.... Lake Powell is coming us really soon...

Joel
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 16 footer I didn't have access to the inside gunnel. I injected some two part epoxy where the rivets had been, waited a day for it to harden, and used stainless screws to secure the rubrail. Two years and still holding.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to my boat last year. I pulled the rubber strip out from the transom and half way up each side.
I drilled holes all the way through the aluminum and fiberglass and used SS 1/4" bolts with washers and castellated nuts. Then replaced the rubber. I wished that I had gone all the way to the front as it has started to come loose also. A next season project.
Make sure that you use good quality SS bolts/washers/nuts if around saltwater.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
sjboysen
C-Dory Factory Representative

City/Region: Bellingham
Photos: Triton Plant Photos
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Rubrail Reply with quote

Joel,

Sorry to hear about your rubrail. If you can get access from the inside then you can just drill out the existing holes and re-rivet, however if no access, just fill in the existing holes with 5200 sealant and re drill new holes an inch or so away from the old holes. You will need to make new holes in your rubrail but that will not be a problem, and you can either secure with screws or rivets.

I hope that this information is helpful and don't hesitate to contact me direct with any further questions or comments.

Scott
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not difficult to do. Just time consuming. Requires a second person in the boat while the other is outside.
Remove the rivets, replace with SS Screw, ss fender washer, lock washer or castle nut. I used a dab of 5200 on each one to ensure no leaks.

Tex
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

Our 1995 22' had the rail pretty loose when we bought it and I added a few bumps myself. I posted pictures of the rub rail repair in our album. Really a pretty easy project and I would suggest that you replace all the rivets with SS bolts and washers while you are working on it. An easy weekend project.

Tad
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been when SS bolts or screws are used through aluminum (rubrail base) which is often in contact with saltwater you will get some corrosion of the aluminum unless you can insulate the SS from the aluminum. Generous use of 5200 around the bolt may help? I have never had a problem with my rubrail but I have seen significant corrosion of aluminum parts bolted together with SS bolts.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a good selling point for the factory to attach the rub rail with stainless steel bolts and fasteners....I think everyone has had or will have problems with those darn rivets....... in doing the boat I found at least a dozen that were not holding in places that should have been fine.

I replaced ALL the rivets with tapered, philips head 10-32 screws and countersunk the rail so they would be flush.... then used SS fender washers and nylock SS nuts....

BUT almost all the way through I ran out of fender washers....now we live in remote Northern California....and I had bought my stainless steel stuff in Red Bluff (in the valley)....I paid $9.95 for 100 washers (.0995 each)..I was only 13 short...so I went downtown to the local hardware store....
I expected to pay maybe .16 up to .25 each for them (outrageous markup) but guess what they wanted........ $ 1.18 EACH !

I laughed and told the man that was ridiculous and he said....drive to Red Bluff if you want...with a smirk on his face... SO in proper Roger King fashion I said....... Ed..(the owners name)...before I buy your overpriced washers I will drill out half dollars and use them as washers.... So every time I look at them I will remember what a crook you are....
And that is just what I did...

Joel
SEA3PO (loading up for Lake Powell)
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
... I will drill out half dollars and use them as washers...And that is just what I did...

Joel
SEA3PO (loading up for Lake Powell)

Wow! I like it!

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I have about 8' of alum rub rail for a TC255 if anyone needs some.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
dandawes

City/Region: Huntington Beach
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Helen Pauline
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Rub Rail Repair Reply with quote

I see from the postings that this is an old problem and my 1995 C-Dory 22 is now shedding its SS pop rivets under the rub rail faster than dog's hair. The heads of the rivets appear to epoxied over with a big glob of Bondo or something. So I assume the fix is to drill out all the pop rivets and replace with SS bolts and lock washer/nut combinations. 10-32's seem to be suggested, but how long? I am guessing that 1 inch will do?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing about 7 rivets on each side, amidships (water gathered at the low point in the rail and corroded the rivets - not the best design), and three at the transom. I had read some prior posts (very helpful, especially ones by "Comfy Dory"), but then made a few more discoveries as I went. I took photos and was thinking I should write it up. I'm just eating dinner but how about if I get around to it later this evening?

I'll probably post it in the thread I made for my boat projects, but I will come back to this thread and leave a link to that one.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased OSPREY, the rub rail was loose amidships on both sides. I let it be for a few months and then decided to bite the bullet and take care of this problem once and for all...
Like others have stated, water sits on the rivets behind the rubber of the rail and eventually eats the aluminum rivets away due to corrosion. Reinstalling rivets in place of those that failed would only be a short term solution, so I decided to remove the rails completely. You do need some help to prevent from allowing the rails to get distorted while removing them. This process also allowed me an opportunity to clean up the dirt behind the rails and also bed the entire rail, so that dirt will not get between the rail and the hull.
Drilling out the old rivets and punching the rivet core through the hull with a small punch was very easy (again I had a helper hold the rail as I worked). I used 316 stainless fasteners that were 10-24 and used nylock nuts for locations that were not visible and used crown nuts for locations that were visible. I bedded the rail and fasteners with Sikaflex. Also, before bedding, I applied blue paint tape to the location above and below the rail, to make clean-up easy.
Lastly I put the rubber in a bucket of warm water and then used soapy water to aid in installation of the rubber.
Bottom line...to start the project looked huge, but it was relatively easy and the end result looks very good.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased OSPREY, the rub rail was loose amidships on both sides. I let it be for a few months and then decided to bite the bullet and take care of this problem once and for all...
Like others have stated, water sits on the rivets behind the rubber of the rail and eventually eats the aluminum rivets away due to corrosion. Reinstalling rivets in place of those that failed would only be a short term solution, so I decided to remove the rails completely. You do need some help to prevent from allowing the rails to get distorted while removing them. This process also allowed me an opportunity to clean up the dirt behind the rails and also bed the entire rail, so that dirt will not get between the rail and the hull.
Drilling out the old rivets and punching the rivet core through the hull with a small punch was very easy (again I had a helper hold the rail as I worked). I used 316 stainless fasteners that were 10-24 and used nylock nuts for locations that were not visible and used crown nuts for locations that were visible. I bedded the rail and fasteners with Sikaflex. Also, before bedding, I applied blue paint tape to the location above and below the rail, to make clean-up easy.
Lastly I put the rubber in a bucket of warm water and then used soapy water to aid in installation of the rubber.
Bottom line...to start the project looked huge, but it was relatively easy and the end result looks very good.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I am laying in the cabin and see those half dollars it amuses me.... I still do not go into that darn hardware store....what a jerk.. he must have had all his stainless steel stuff marked up about 600% and that if you don't like it, drive 70 miles to Red Bluff just galls me...

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: