View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: To Buy or Not to Buy -- Did You? Reply with quote

Ii did not realize it was posted 6 years ago. I saw the posing in General chat. Thought is was from this year.
Embarassed

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Just a free comment. Bratwurst made 3 posts 6 years age and none since, so it's unlikely they ever bought a C-Dory.

So 6 years later, why are you posting? Just curious, no other intent.

Boris

I have a question.

Why do all the posts, no matter when they were posted even current posts, all say "Posted: 03/12/2013"?

Is it my computers? Same on my PC at work during the day and my MAC at home at night.

Strange.
KFoote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Computer Date Reply with quote

So, if the dates are wrong on all your machines it must be the site. Maybe shoot an email to admin@c-brats.com there might be some setting in your profile that is not turned on.
Gizmo

City/Region: Southport
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss Holly
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Looking to purchase Reply with quote

Looking to purchase used 19 footer for fishing and light cursing with my wife and lab.southport nc not a lot for sale. Saw 2009 for 26000.00 with 90 hp even rude 2 stroke. Any thoughts
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the nice features of the C Dory in general is that there is very little cursing In comparison with a lot of other boats.

You missed out on a 19 in New York which sold for under $19,000 (a very good buy). The price is a what a willing seller will take and a willing buyer will pay.

A 2009 Evinrude will be an Etec, two stroke and well regarded motors. The fuel burn is very similar to the 4 strokes, but it is oil injected. You do have to buy a special oil (or have it converted to regular 2 stroke oil) Not a major issue either way. Sounds like a fair price at $26,000 for a 2009 boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
KFoote

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with thataway, C-Dory is a very owner friendly boat. I have had my 22 footer for several years and have had few problems.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some old threads

But seeing that we used to wheel our sixteen foot wooden skiff out Gaviota pier beyond the breakers and davit it down to the Pacific I'd say most anything larger and more sea worthy is ok if you've got sense enough to watch the weather. Just wonder now if folks even do, or are allowed to launch off that pier these days.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki wrote:

But seeing that we used to wheel our sixteen foot wooden skiff out Gaviota pier beyond the breakers and davit it down to the Pacific I'd say most anything larger and more sea worthy is ok if you've got sense enough to watch the weather. Just wonder now if folks even do, or are allowed to launch off that pier these days.

Since you now live in Florida and ask about Gaviota--you are one of the 'smart ones". (I happen to be visiting the Republic currently.). The hiost apparently was rehabbed again, and is still in use.

Quote:
Maximum weight / length, INCLUDING full fuel and water tanks, cannot exceed two tons and an overall maximum length of 20 feet

That puts most C Dorys out of the picture except the 16, and perhaps a light 19.
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
WeekiTiki wrote:

Since you now live in Florida and ask about Gaviota--you are one of the 'smart ones". (I happen to be visiting the Republic currently.). The hiost apparently was rehabbed again, and is still in use.

Quote:
Maximum weight / length, INCLUDING full fuel and water tanks, cannot exceed two tons and an overall maximum length of 20 feet

I'd like to do that one more time. Used to be some good fishing just off shore. And when the grunion were running it was really fun along the beach too

That puts most C Dorys out of the picture except the 16, and perhaps a light 19.
JeffK

City/Region: RAMROD KEY
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: General chat Reply with quote

This is great intel for this potential C-Dory buyer. I live in the Lower Florida Keys. When running in the Back Country (Gulf of Mexico side) the water depth can change from deep channels to a foot or less in a nano second. The CD's shallow draft could be a great benefit. I used to work on the National Park Service resupply ship and know the Dry Tortugas area intimately. The C-Dory's low fuel consumption may be what I need to get me out there again, and back. It is a 70-mile run from Key West. There is no fuel to be had out there. I need a boat with long legs. The area west of Tortugas is some of the most spectacular diving and spear fishing in the world. I long to dive there again. I'm sold on the idea of buying a C-Dory. Is the CD-22 the most fuel efficient of them all?
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: General chat Reply with quote

JeffK wrote:
This is great intel for this potential C-Dory buyer. I live in the Lower Florida Keys. When running in the Back Country (Gulf of Mexico side) the water depth can change from deep channels to a foot or less in a nano second. The CD's shallow draft could be a great benefit. I used to work on the National Park Service resupply ship and know the Dry Tortugas area intimately. The C-Dory's low fuel consumption may be what I need to get me out there again, and back. It is a 70-mile run from Key West. There is no fuel to be had out there. I need a boat with long legs. The area west of Tortugas is some of the most spectacular diving and spear fishing in the world. I long to dive there again. I'm sold on the idea of buying a C-Dory. Is the CD-22 the most fuel efficient of them all?

"Long Legs" is not necessarily a C-Dory strength. Though fuel efficiency is great, about 6 nmpg near hull speed, and about 3 on slow plane for my '22, it only holds about 50 gallons. Key West to Dry Tortugas park is about 70 statute miles, so, you would barely have enough fuel to get there and back on efficient plane. I try and work off of "1/3 there, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve", so if you follow this, Dry Tortugas are out unless you slow cruise out or carry extra fuel. A '25 or Tomcat might be a more reasonable option. This might be a good place to discuss options for how people carry extra fuel. I rigged my boat so that the gas from the main tanks is detachable, and I usually run with a 12-gallon portable tank unless I take a long trip and fill the main tanks. Though available, fuel is extremely expensive dockside, and I try and avoid it where I can. I've been thinking of something more substantial like an ATL bladder tank....

http://atlinc.com/custom-fuelocker-marine-fuel-bladders.html

for long trips, but don't have any experience with them. Anybody else care to comment? These are gasoline motors, and carrying a lot of gasoline needs to be done carefully.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. This is an old thread butvit is still pertenant.

You are onto something here. I've had my 22 Cruiser, with twin 40 Yamis, for 15 years and love it. It is pretty fuel efficient for sure, and can even be moreso when running with a single 40 down, and SLOW cruising, (3-5 kn). Is that more fuel efficient than running a 16? Probably not, but there are significant differences: an enclosed cabin, better seakeeping, more stable, and reasonable comfort for 2 for living and sleeping, plus a galley.

The choice would be yours obviously. It's a personal decision based on preferences. And on your research. This is a great place to learn about C-Dorys. Have at it. We'll see you around.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Right boat" for you? IMHO, there is no right boat. There is no "best" boat.

Consider, boat ownership is relative to what you want to do, when you want to do
it and your own capabilities. If you want to boat "all the time", you'll need several
boats for various weather conditions. Ex: you would not want a sailbote in very
light or no wind conditions. You would not want a small powerboat in violent sea
states with heavy wind and spray (or any other boat, except maybe a large sailboat
which you most likely cannot handle or afford).

I've brainstormed this some and concluded that, to be "happy" (also a relative term),
I would need 4 boats:
(1) a small powerboat for short trips in good weather,
(2) a small sailboat for excitement on the water when the wind is up,
(3) a large sailboat for long distance cruises and safety at sea and
(4) a large powerboat to get kudos, show off some, party for guests watching the
sunset and satisfy my ego that, yes, I've really made it.

Yup. That works for me. But not for everyone and that is my point.

What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Be your own man. Do your own thing."

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used bladder tanks--for the most part they are great--until they leak. I had one leak after about 3 years. Fortunately it was diesel, and I had a "midnight diesel' sale in the Canary Islands. Half price--pumped into your container!

For the Dry Tortugas, and other back country exploring, I would fit an extra tank. There are some boats which have had custom tanks made, to replace the factory tanks, and up to close to 100 gallons total.. Another option is saddle tanks up under the deck on each side. 20 gallons each--or even 10 gallons each would give the reserve you need.
Jack@Ranch

City/Region: Babcock Ranch
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame this thread isn't kept fresher. Since the thread's 2010 origins, I'll bet there are many more C-Dory owners who have had experience in the challenging boat conditions and have something to contribute. Having started our boating lives out of Santa Barbara, Bratwurst's original question generated the kind of discussion I hoped to find here. I'll confess, however, I'm not terribly convinced a 22 or 26 flat-bottomed dory hull form is a preferred choice for those waters, altho' some owners back then seem very pleased with their choice.

I much appreciated the last (2022) posts about taking a C-Dory out to the Dry Tortugas since I'm now based in SW Florida. I would have thought a light displacement, flat bottom planing hull wouldn't have the range limitations it apparently does. Surprisingly, I haven't (yet) found comments from C-Dory owners who have taken their C-Dorys over to Bimini and the Berry's from FL's east coast. That Bimini run is so frequently done, I would have thought it a likely route some owners have run. Can anyone here speak to that?

Finally, there is a pair of new kids on the block: Beneteau's smaller Antares models and Jeanneau's 695/795 models, almost identical twins in the 23' to 26' range and therefore broadly similar to the C-Dory. Can anyone speak to their pros & cons vs. a C-Dory? Insofar as the intended market, size & layout and cost vs. age, they appear to have become a very popular, latter day C-Dory alternative.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: