Tortuga

City/Region: Ventura
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Photos: Tortuga
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Bob -- I've often wondered about the hull shape of the Radon. Indeed, if I were running home downwind every afternoon from the Islands the Radon would be a real stable platform. Makes a lot of sense.

Matt

skibberskabber

City/Region: Jacksonville
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the great info. Reply with quote

Hey everyone - thanks for all the great info about using a C-Dory for tubing, skiing, etc. Your comments are very helpful and much appreciated!
wavehog

City/Region: Honolulu
State or Province: HI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: C-Dory in Hawaii? Reply with quote

Aloha all,

I'm interested in a C-dory I located on the Big Island (I'm on Oahu), but have limited (no) experience with these boats. I have plenty of boating experience, both sailing and fishing, but on larger vessels and no pilothouses. Anyway, I'm going to fly to Hawaii to check the boat out. 2008 22' Classic Angler with 90HP 4stroke Honda. I fish and dive frequently and would only use the v-berth to stash spear guns, tackle, etc. Mostly going to the buoys for Mahi and Ono (3-15 miles offshore). An occasional trip to Molokai is in plan. I know there are (or were) a couple local owners on this forum. I would *really* be interested in calling them and "talking story" if possible. Tried PM'ing them, but by all means PM me for my number.

Given the prevailing sea conditions are "challenging" in any small boat, how will the C-dory fare? I assume given the posts I've read that the boat is no rocket ship in large swells and high winds, the 90 HP will be ok and I'll add a 10hp kicker for emergencies before crossing the channel.

Anyway, if anyone has local firsthand experience with the boat in the 50th state, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
James
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Dory in Hawaii? Reply with quote

wavehog wrote:
Anyway, if anyone has local firsthand experience with the boat in the 50th state, I would greatly appreciate your insights.

HERE is a thread that discusses that very topic!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
wavehog

City/Region: Honolulu
State or Province: HI
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Thx Warren Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.. the map is a little better then the listing I used to PM... a couple more folks I'll try to contact. Will keep an eye on the PMs and this thread.

~JP~
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thread confirms my opinion, that unless you are going to be in the lee of the Islands, a deep V or bigger boat might be best. I have sailed a fair amount in the Islands, and most conditions I had seen on the windward sides would not be good for the C Dory.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
firstmate_Seaweed

City/Region: Camas
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaweed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We waterski, tube and knee board behind our 16 ft angler, 50 hp. We can usually get people up at about 10 mph and maintain speeds of 16-20 while skiing. We go faster with tubing, as the pain is less when falling off water skis when going slower. Smile The wake from our boat is probably less than the professional wakeboarding boats we are out there with, I think they make them to have big wakes so they can jump them.

The only downside to a 22, is you pilot from inside, so its less easy to communicate back and forth between the skiier in the water, and your flagger in the cockpit. Not impossible, but may have to lean your head out the window when coming around and want to talk to the skiier. We have less of an issue with that in a 16 because the helm area is not fully enclosed. but I still hang my head out the window as I come around on someone in the water.
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience on the California coast is that the boat handles swells well, perhaps even better then a deep-v; wind waves are the more significant issue.

In the 26', wind waves up to 2' are not a problem, can be smoothed out with trim tabs (by lowering the bow to cut into the waves), and we can maintain speed. 2½' - 3' wind waves are OK but choppy, and require dropping to displacement speed. 3½' - 4' waves get pretty rough. We drop speed to 2 or 3 knots. It can be done, but why? I mean we're doing this for fun; right? We will not deliberately head into 4'+ wind waves.

By contrast, I am comfortable, and can stay on plane, in large swells (i.e. 12'@17sec or 7’@10sec), just so long as they don't get too steep; remember that we don't have a keel.

When going against large swells you will find that you have to watch your speed at the crest more than a deep-v because if you overpower the crest, and land on the water, the low-rise hull slaps the water rather than cutting it.

The deep-v can cut through, and stay on plane in, more wind chop, but the low-rise design of the C-Dory gives greater lateral stability, and more predictable handling, at displacement speed, when the deep-v will tend to wobble back and forth.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure it's not as good as a test drive. If you happen to be on the mainland, near San Francisco, go ahead and email me; my boat is usually in the water, not far away.

David

PS. Perhaps you might try emailing some of the Hawaiian C-Brats. They won't see a PM until the next time they log in, but email is forwarded to them right away. If someone is registered, but not active, you might have a long wait for a reply to a PM.
Bricklayer

City/Region: Cloquet
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at a 1985 CD 22 ft it's got a 90 horse Johnson two stroke with 9.8 Nissan kicker. The boat is in fair condition motor has low hours I am a little concerned about that. The boat has only seen freshwater . Wondering if there's any opinions out there on value I offered 10,000 he was asking 14,000
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread resurrected! My thoughts are that with a c-dory that old (not necessarily a bad thing at all), it's all about the power (unless the hull is in unusually good or unusually bad shape). If the engines have low hours and you don't have to re-power, then I think that you're getting a very good deal at 14K and a steal at 10K.

Extras should be considered too (i.e., electronics, trailer, down riggers, canvas). That stuff could easily cost you another 5 to 10K to outfit the boat. If the boat already has that stuff then, again, 14K seems like a good deal.

That's just off the top of my head. Others are much more knowledgeable than me about such things.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricklayer wrote:
I am looking at a 1985 CD 22 ft it's got a 90 horse Johnson two stroke with 9.8 Nissan kicker. The boat is in fair condition motor has low hours I am a little concerned about that. The boat has only seen freshwater . Wondering if there's any opinions out there on value I offered 10,000 he was asking 14,000

That seems like a really good price. 1985 will be Classic configuration, which I believe is more like an angler, with a bigger cockpit space and less space inside the cabin. As mentioned, if the boat is in good shape, what comes along with. electronic,s if they are original, I would look at replacing (for sure), but you could certainly still have a compass, maybe a windlass, and ....? Pictures would really be helpful.

How was the boat stored? That would make a difference too. Low hours on the engine, could be good, but you may be looking at old stored gas, and in the tanks as well.

You don't mention where you or the boat are, so travel to obtain it may be a consideration. Trailer? If that is with then there would be tires that need checking. I would replace them if they are 5 years old or more, before I went anywhere on them.

Personally I would think almost any C-Dory that has a sound hull and transom would be worth 14K Even with a full repower, you are still in under the basic going rate.

Best in your decisions,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bricklayer wrote:

What year is the main engine and how many hours on it? What year is the kicker? IMO - if the engine is original, it's value is near zero regardless of hours but the hull alone (assuming it's in good shape) is probably worth $10-14k. Unless you have experience with such matters, you should hire a marine surveyor to look the hull for structural integrity.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting somebody to look it over really carefully. However, I do not think a good running 90 hp Johnson is worth nothing. I sold one a couple of years ago for $1,500 that ran perfectly and was ancient. I have no idea if 10,000 is a good deal or not, I'd really have to be there. You certainly could spend way more.
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: To Buy or Not to Buy -- Did You? Reply with quote

HI Bratwurst,

I am wondering if you finally pulled the trigger and bought your boat.

I, like you, did a fair amount of research before purchasing my 22' Cruiser. One of the observations while speaking with the Coast Guard up here in Washington State, they really like the C-Dory and it's safety record.

In October, myself and a good friend cruised down the Columbia river from Richland, Washington to the coast. We had no problems and it was a very comfortable ride including the day we ran into a real windy day with 4 to 5 foot swells.

We have also cruised around the San Juan's camping out on several of the islands.

I have not regretted purchasing my C-Dory "Foote's Rest"

Happy Sailing
Keith

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a free comment. Bratwurst made 3 posts 6 years age and none since, so it's unlikely they ever bought a C-Dory.

So 6 years later, why are you posting? Just curious, no other intent.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: