The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wallas Thru Hull
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Wallas Thru Hull Reply with quote

Last season I found water in the cabin a couple of times and after thinking it was leaking around the door or through some other normal space I discovered that if I had water up the starboard side there was a small trickle of water coming in around the Wallas thru hull fitting. Guess that heat or something else has created an unprotected area between hull and fitting so I want to take it out and re-install with a new batch of sealant. My question is what to use to re-calk the fitting. Does anyone know what the factory uses or even better what the Wallas folks recommend?

Thanks in advance for the input,

Tim

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, when I installed the fitting on Little Buddy it came with a high temp cork like material that compressed when you tighten up the screws. You may just need to tighten it or I think Scan Marine can get you a new gasket.

Fred
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the local auto parts store and buy some high temp RTV
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, My thru-hull starting leaking too. Evidently the cork gasket lost its resiliency. I created a new one out of an old automobile inner-tube I had laying around. I left the original cork gasket in its recess so the rubber one rides a little "proud". The flange has a sharp edge that I did'nt want to mar the hull. Doubled cork would have worked good too. Pete

Adeline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I did'nt use any sealants on the original install or the refurb either.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim -

How about this Gore-Tex Joint Sealant stuff? It says it's good to 600ºF. The highest temp on the Wallas exhaust I found was around 400º.

This stuff is a molded PTFE (like I know what that is), and comes in strips of a few different widths. It has an adhesive peel-and-stick strip on the back side to hold it in place for assembly. The cool part is, I just happen to have about a foot of the 1/2" wide stuff in my shirt pocket right now. Yeah - no kidding. I'll stick it in a baggie and set it on the boat trailer tongue just in case you want to try it.

If you really want hot-proof, I bet I can find some steam valve packing that would seal it up, too.

TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why sure, PTFE is polytetrafluoroethylene. Everybody knows that. It's also known as Teflon.

It's on the trailer tongue already.

All I know is that each time we get a new mill manager, we do a massive million-of-dollars-to-the-junk-pile cleanup, and I snagged up a few feet of this stuff a long time ago to make MGB valve cover gaskets. Don't remember how it worked for that, but I have sealed up a whole bunch of stuff at work with it.

If I ever get a new boat, I think Polytetrafluoroethylene would make a great name. Lets see old Rev. Dave spit that one out after a couple beers!
Adeline

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This stuff is a molded PTFE (like I know what that is)
I think it's Teflon.
Lynn Marie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Between your job and the Gizmo shop I'm not sure I'll ever need West Marine. Englunds, yes cuase they sell cool fish stuff. The baggie sounds great but it may be the week-end before I get there.

Having a dry boat ALL the time is important. Also started on my main cabin ceiling carpet project and that should keep things dry from the top side. Need to get the bunk of the TyBoo cleaned out so we can use some of this warm fuzzy scap in there before the cruising season starts.

Tim
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of jobs, Tim, I just this weekend used that insulation stuff you gave me last year. I built a cabinet to go under the galley, and covered the top of it with the insulation. I stapled it on foil side up. Is that right?

I was concerned about the stove getting too warm on the underside with the cabinet top being just a couple inches below it, but using an infrared laser thermometer to watch it, there is no heat build up at all under there. I recently added a large area screened vent to the galley front, and also raised the stove up almost 1" to get the fan to blow over the top of the teak strip on the front of the counter instead of directly onto it. I ran the stove for several hours yesterday, and watched the temps. No problems. If you want to borrow that thermometer to check anything, I'll have it around home for a while yet. I do have to eventually take it back to work, though. By the way - 867º is the hottest spot I can find on the ceramic stove top.

I have been doing a bunch of other stuff inside lately, too. In fact, the drawers for that under galley cab are sitting on poor old Kay's dryer right now stinking up the laundry room with the smell of fresh stain. I'll have to give you a tour of the latest if you stop by next weekend. Don't expect to get in the front just yet, though.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:

If I ever get a new boat, I think Polytetrafluoroethylene would make a great name. Lets see old Rev. Dave spit that one out after a couple beers!

No sweat pronouncing that in a sober condition, but I'll betcha I can't say it after just one of those huge bottles of beer that the "Brewsky Bros" market!.......anyhow, I ain't worried yet 'cause so far C-Dory hasn't manufactured a boat long enough to apply that name on to it Crook.

(Just watch, that being said they'll probably come out with a 52' C-Dory next week Disgust .)_

(Good name for a kitty cat... Rolling Eyes )

C-Brat #16
Lynn Marie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Foil side out for the insulation is correct. Sounds like a good use for the stuff and I'll make sure to stop by and take a look. Think I'll be by sometime mid to late morning after a trip to the Astoria transfer station.

Tim
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn Marie wrote:
Think I'll be by sometime mid to late morning after a trip to the Astoria transfer station.

Tim - I have to take Tiff to 4H at 9:00, and Jamie asked me real nice to take her to the doughnut store. So it may be noon before I am back home. That teflon stuff is still on the trailer tongue if you don't catch me. If you're in Astoria around 9:30, you might catch us at Home Bakery.

I checked the Wallas exhaust temp again, and the hottest spot I could find anywhere near the thru-hull flange was under 300º. That stuff should be fine. It is kinda mushy, like a stale marshmellow, so it will conform and seal real well.
C-ruise Daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Wallas Thru Hull Reply with quote

I have had success using MarineTex for leaks on sections of a large heat exchanger that can't be removed without the use of a crane. It can withstand the temp. (water goes in as steam and comes out as hot water) It goes on like thick peanut butter and hardens like a rock. Never tried to remove the stuff though.
Chris

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallas recommends silicone in addition to the gasket for the installation of what they call the "leadthrough" (thru hull). The West Marine silicone claims it's good to 480F.
http://www.wallas.fi/pdf/leadthrough.pdf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: