sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I was saying in my first post concerning permeating odors. Recently I have been researching the benefit of installing permanent twin fixed tanks verses the two portable Moellers I have now. My original thoughts were from the perspective of odor control when the full camper back is set up.

Once I read the same information on the Moeller web page, I realized if I close the vents while "sleeping" on Sweet Pea I can minimize the odors down to the same level as permanent tanks. I still plan on the permanent tanks, I just think there are more valuable resources to purchase first. (Radar Smile ) Laughing

Capt. Charles
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the tanks be painted and would it lower the odor?
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 16 with the Moeller 6 & 3 gal tanks. While on the water or in the marina with the camperback up we don't have too much of a gas odor issue as long as the vents are closed. I had a 12 gal Moeller tank and had a lot of odor issues with that tank, the smaller tanks are easier to handle and seem NOT to have the off gassing issue as bad. I store my tanks outside in a covered area while the boat is in the garage, if I leave the tanks in the boat while in the garage, it really smells. Before an overnighter I spray a few shots of Febreze in the boat to kill the odor.

Kev
sweet pea

City/Region: Gulfport
State or Province: MS
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea (SOLD 10/2012)
Photos: Sweet Pea
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Febreeze is a wonderful things! I actuall have 4 tanks that came with Sweet Pea (two 6 gallon and two 12 gallon) currently I pick and choose depending on the weekends plans. I do think that the 6 gallon tanks have thicker walls. But the 6 gallon tanks have about half the surface area as the 12 gallon tanks, therefore less odor can pass through those tanks over the same amount of time.

It really isn't very noticiable while you are on board for any given time. It is just when you step on board after being off for a period of time (especially in these "dog Days of Summer"). My 22' center console had the same issue with below beck tanks. Gas odor in the console and hatches that communicated with each other via cable passages. Pressure test on that 55 gallon tank showed no leaks. Just nuisence odors in the low parts per million range.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have had this problem of gas odor since I rebuilt the stern and added two 18 gallon tanks. I have gone over it and had a professional check it out. No problem. It is very strong when the cockpit cover is enclosed when I first undo the cover. I think the comment about the reaction with the gas tank and gas with the odor seeping through the tank walls seems to be the best answer. I don't think it is a serious problem. Just an inconvenience.

Fred

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: kleen heat Reply with quote

Were can one find kleen heat for my wallas 800 stove in my CC 23we live in Naples Fl. I cant find it anywhere it used to be available at Ace hardwarethanks Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check local Home Depot or order online from them and select free ship to store (ACE Hardware does the same). I saw some in Punta Gorda Home Depot in Oct
jennykatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: 1K Kerosene Reply with quote

I went to Lowes they said they did not have kerosene /Kleen heat .I did find 1 can of 1-K KEROSENE on their shelves the Lowes workers did not know they had it . I gues heaters and stoves are not big sellers in SW Florida ?
Is this good for our wallas stove model 800 in venture 23 and 26 models ? I've run Kleen heat for the last 7 years I went through 1 can in fact I still have some left but wanted new for the St.John's Gathering .
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: kleen heat Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
Were can one find kleen heat for my wallas 800 stove in my CC 23we live in Naples Fl. I cant find it anywhere it used to be available at Ace hardwarethanks Jim

Jim,

I've never tried to buy Kleen Heat in Florida - to say the least - but I've found it in various stores in the Olympia, WA and S.E. Alaska areas. Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Fred Meyer, and Lowe's come to mind immediately, and I think I've seen it elsewhere, also.

I, too, have run into the "I-didn't-know-we-carried-that-stuff" clerk from time to time. Be persistent.

I've talked to SCAN Marine more than once about fuel for the 800 Mini Cooker and the 1300 Kerosene Heater, and have always been told that either Kerosene or Kleen Heat will work. (Actually, SCAN recommends Kerosene. They say they cannot officially endorse the use of Kleen Heat because the manufacturer won't tell them what's in it. BTAIM, I've had 100% success with KH). Just don't put diesel in the thing!

Good luck in your search.

BrentB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Home Depot link

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-Heat-Odorless-Fuel-GKKH99991/100112454
mdoug

City/Region: Meredith
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mikey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: fuel odor Reply with quote

I had to replace my fuel lines. Ethanol in today's fuel will eat lines from the inside out.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: klean heat Reply with quote

We tried to order with Store(Home Depot) delivery but they said they could not get it? When we travel North for summer I will try to get it then .In the meantime I will use the K-1 Kerosene and hope it doesn't smell to bad .
I still have about a pint left of Klean heat about 3yrs old it still works but it takes a long time to ignite ? From what I read fresh kerosene or Klean heat is the way to go with the wallas 800 single burner . BTW it heats up the CC23 venture cabin nicely off course we are in SW Florida the lowest temperature that we stay out is about lower 40 degrees at night .
Dart

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Sounder
Photos: Sounder
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel System Reply with quote

This is what's great about C-Brats. I have the same question about fuel odors, and Mike's original post is exactly what I was going to write. Mike - on August 10, 2010 you described all the actions you planned to take to eliminate the odor, but I don't see a post describing the outcome. It was a long time ago now, but did any of those things make a difference?

Dart
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dart,

Since Mike posed his questions, a lot of changes have been made in the portable tanks. EPA and CARB came out with regulations that reduced the permeability in tanks, hoses, pump bulbs, etc. The hoses are also more resistant to ethanol.

http://www.easternmarine.com/downloads/dl/file/id/5545/epa_carb_advisory.pdf

Most of the changes were phased in by 2011. I'm sure that the regulations weren't to reduce the smell of gasoline, but rather, the health issues associated with smelling gas.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: