Getting off the Rocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Getting off the Rocks Reply with quote

Getting off the Rocks ( see sketch in photo album page 4, Maine 2010 cruise)

What Happened:
1. During the Maine 2010 C-Dory Cruise, Hunky Dory (HD) got into an unbelievable fix. While trying to exit the Vinalhaven Basin, she struck a submerged boulder, which instantly caused HD to swing 180 degrees. Then as I raised the engine and dropped the anchor, the rushing currents bounced us off barnacle-encrusted boulders into a boulder garden. “On Golden Pond” rocks had nothing on these.
2. Initially HD was caught on a rock with a 30 degree list ( position 1 in phantom). Quick response by Dave Seaton who anchored Widget, got the dingy off the roof, and mounted an engine and picked up Mike. They helped me to get HD to the flat (position 2). The tide was ebbing with a roar visually dropping so fast we couldn’t move further.
The Rescue:
3. The grounding occurred at 3:30 PM. Next high tide was 1:00 AM, on a moonless night. The footing was treacherous due to slippery seaweed, sticking mud, submerged pot holes, and steep rocks.
4. Five C-Brats came to my rescue. We stood in 60 degree water initially ankle deep but rising over our waists over three hours, while waiting, holding and watching the Perseid Meteor shower.
5. The incoming tide roared in with a vengeance. The stern anchor line was as taut as an iron bar as Dun snubbed and paid it out.
6. Dave, Ray and David acted as guides trying to keep HD from hanging up, while Mike flaked in the fwd anchor line.
7. After midnight, the currents were so strong we all got on the boat thinking we’d surf out. But, we grounded on the Big Friggin Boulder (BFB) (position 3). That’s when it got really wild. The surrounding roaring white water made communication difficult. Dave & David jumped onto the BFB and gave a mighty push, while Mike pulled fwd and Dun let go aft. We washed through the boulders while I unceremoniously hauled Dave and David over the gunwale.
8. We did it! Lowered the engine and putted over to raft up with Widget for the night. Widget and HD shared some brandy before sleeping.
The Result:
9. No injuries to anyone, except one scratched knee. Hardly any visual damage. No dings to prop or skeg. Some scratches on the green stripe, and some gel coat chips on the bottom aft stbd chine from grinding on rocks and barnacles.
10. My heart felt thanks to the five C-Brats who got HD out of that mess.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the tale Rick. We know the tides up there but have never had the CD up there (near Machias, Roque Bluffs). We, as you know, even have a "reversing falls", that goes in both directions depending on the tide. Being on the lower part of the Bay of Fundy, we have 17-20 feet of tides in Little Kennebec Bay, the body of water our house is on. Here's your sketch, somewhere I saw a picture of it actually on the rocks but can't find it in the Maine Cruise Album now...

Glad you're safe and sound and that no damage of any importance was incurred! Brats Rule!! Thumbs Up

Chalrie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
ken 120

City/Region: Sea Isle City,
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2001
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: On the rocks Reply with quote

Glad to see a happy ending-Having cruised with you guys cannot think of a better group to have around in a situation like this.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Ken
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Getting off the Rocks Reply with quote

Hi,
Someone should post the two pictures (11 and 12 from the first page of pic's from the 2010 Maine Cruise here on this thread of Rick's boat in the rocks as this was a miracle no real damage was done to his boat. The fact that they go and get it out at about 1:00 am on a pitch black night with no moon was frightening to say the least. They had to do it then as it was high tide to prevent Rick's boat from being bashed by the incoming torrent of high tide. I stayed up in the basin with a couple boats rafted to our boat protecting the women from the meteorites.
D.D.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let this happen to you!

Truly aground!

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe, saw them last week and this week couldn't find them.

Validates Lindsay's Law which clearly states:

"When the draft of your vessel exceeds the depth of the water you are assuredly agound" Disgust

Glad no one was hurt and that the boat came through OK. Brats to the rescue!

Charlie
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Pretty dramatic images! Tough boats, concerned caring people... quite a combination. Glad to hear everything turned out OK. Thumbs Up

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Getting off the Rocks Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Hi,
I stayed up in the basin with a couple boats rafted to our boat protecting the women from the meteorites.
D.D.

And you had to protect the Cocktail and the Beer too! I understand completely!! Rolling Eyes

If I'd have been there, I'd have helped you to protect the ladies...(and the Beer Cocktail )

The picture caption says "Devil Sisters". As I said in my comment on the photo, "Looks more like C-Babes to me" Mr. Green

Charlie
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Looks like serious gunkholing. Good thing these boats are made for skinny water. Great to have Great friends. Thanks for sharing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. Looks like serious gunkholing. Good thing these boats are made for skinny water. Great to have Great friends. Thanks for sharing.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, you were not having a good day, were you?
glad it worked out in the end.
pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: