The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

composting toilet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Tough choices you present. Galley or head. Hmmm. I don't cook, but I do eat. Don't use the Wallas much but when I do I love it. Do use the sink. maybe I need to call OGDave and see if he would stretch my 22.

Been trying to get off "square one" for about 4 years now. Let's see: Door #1 or Door #2 Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Joe,

Tough choices you present. Galley or head. Hmmm. I don't cook, but I do eat. Don't use the Wallas much but when I do I love it. Do use the sink. maybe I need to call OGDave and see if he would stretch my 22.

Been trying to get off "square one" for about 4 years now. Let's see: Door #1 or Door #2 Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey-

Maybe you can get our resident genius on reversible passenger seat development (TyBoo for the newbies) to design you a Reversible Forward Passenger Seat/Airhead facility with a swivel pedestal base on rails?

As my Dad always used to say: 'Where there's a will, there's a way!". Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
hardee wrote:
Joe,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey-

Maybe you can get our resident genius on reversible passenger seat development (TyBoo for the newbies) to design you a Reversible Forward Passenger Seat/Airhead facility with a swivel pedestal base on rails?

As my Dad always used to say: 'Where there's a will, there's a way!". Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Hey Joe, if it's also heated and has a headrest, I'll take one... Razz

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
hardee

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking and thinking (Ouch that hurts Rolling Eyes and someday there is going to be a way to make it happen. Other wise I am going to have to convert my 22 Cruiser into a Nimble Kodiak. That may take some time, more talent than I have currently and more money but that "Seaweed" thread-website sure was neat.

Thanks for the ideas Joe.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: composting toilet Reply with quote

I just can't believe all the time and thought that goes into trying to find something to replace the port-a-pottie. It is one of the best devices for the purpose ever invented.

If I were ordering a new boat today I would go with a port-a pottie. They just work well.

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: composting toilet Reply with quote

teflonmom wrote:
I just can't believe all the time and thought that goes into trying to find something to replace the port-a-pottie. It is one of the best devices for the purpose ever invented.
If I were ordering a new boat today I would go with a port-a pottie. They just work well.

I agree except:
1) They require access to a hose and plenty of water for cleaning if used for #2.
2) If being used by two people, ... they must be emptied after three days, at most.

We're in the market for a 22 for extended cruising and gunk-holing where there is no place to empty a Porta-Pottie every few days. We're happy to dump urine overboard, but will be storing #2 for long periods of time until it can be properly disposed of. So my question is...

Has anyone used the Shorty C-Head in a C-Dory 22? If so, please comment...
http://www.c-head.com/c-head_news.html

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: composting toilet Reply with quote

[/quote]

2) If being used by two people, ... they must be emptied after three days, at most.

[/quote]

Who says? The regular tank is 2.5 gallons, and a 5 gallon porta potty can fit in that space if more is needed. If we're remote enough to not have a bathroom to use nearby, #1 can usually go over the gunnel and bypass the porta potty. 2.5 gallons is a lot of room for #2, no matter what you've been eating Laughing

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: composting toilet Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
2.5 gallons is a lot of room for #2, no matter what you've been eating Laughing

I suppose so, but every flush adds liquid as well. And then, you need a hose to tackle cleaning the sloppy stinky goo out of the tank, which is difficult to clean because the interior of the tank is inaccessible except through the small hole in the top. Did I mention that it really stinks, and sometimes it splatters a bit on you while pouring it out? I can't imagine trying to carry and then empty and clean a 5 gal. container.

We love our Thetford portable toilet. It's convenient and odorless, but we never use it for #2. When we're in a camper on dry land in the boonies, a suitable option for #2 is easy to find. On a boat, you either have a provision for #2 in the boat or you.. oh never mind.

The C-Head Shorty handles #2 by dumping it into a bucket with peat moss. Urine goes into a separate container and no liquid is added to the solid waste compartment. A handle is cranked which stirs it up with the peat moss, forming dry clumps. When the bucket is full, you dump it into a plastic bag or a larger sealed bucket, for disposal later. It's designed to be portable so there is no venting, but the website claims there is no odor when the unit is closed, and the slight odor that is present when the sealed lid is opened smells like a "musty basement", not a poo smell.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used the shorty non-vented version on a boat...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I strongly agree. I laugh at all the comments about those that are afraid to use the porta potti for it's intent. Pee or crap, it works great. One can easily make it go longer by peeing overboard and using a spray bottle instead of a flush. I've rarely been anywhere (and I travel a lot with it) where I can't find a real toilet or outhouse, or dump station every few days. When I get home, I hose it out, rinse a little bleach in it, and just like new. On the road I use my preferred porta potti chemicals in it, and the only smell is when the lid is opened. It's the larger model, still fits under the center cushion, and while I try to empty it before it goes more than half full, even closer to full, the weight isn't unmanageable. Dump slowly and carefully, and you should be able to keep any splashing to a minimum. The trick is to get the spout down close enough to where it is emptying. And if using an old fashioned outhouse without water in the bowl, there shouldn't be any splashing!
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first retired year I planned a 100 day cruise, with very few marina days. I found a "bag and bucket" system to be very practical. A smaller than 5 gallon rectangle bucket with triple layer bags was plenty sturdy, and adequate for over 2 weeks, of #2, and I added some blue liquid odor control.... worked well. #1 went over the side in most places. Disposal was the same as if I was using disposable diapers. Into the garbage, available when and where I filled fuel. Actually takes up less space than a porta-pottie, and need no flush water.

That's the whole poop. If I had a bigger boat, 25vor TC, it would have an AirHead.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, and in search of some additional further information, I am bringing this one back again with a new question.

IF you have a composting toilet, whichever kind, ---
#1. Would you do it again?
#2. With the same kind?
#3. Have you found anything you disliked about the one you have? Please note the dislike and the brand.
#4. Would you recommend your brand for inclusion in a land based vehicle?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not answer your question Harvey, but as a variation on ye ole bucket we are using a 5 gallon with a gamma seal lid and keep a small jug of sawdust on board. Do the business, top with sawdust, screw lid back on (loose enough to let pressure out). It lives in the cockpit and moves to the cabin for use. Also can easily be moved to shore for our land base camps. I am one of “those” people who detest a porta-potti. The smell of toilet chemicals gives me the feeling of traveling in a gas station urinal. My kids prefer this bucket over most USFS toilets if that is any kind of testament. I dump it in a compost bin at home (Remind me to bring you some produce 😂). Not sure how long we can go in this system, but i suspect a very long time if toilet paper is put in a separate trash container and we are opportunistic about land toilet usage.

That said...a properly vented composting toilet with a hand crank would be a welcome addition and the first thing I installed on a 25’er. Let the poop deck jokes ensue. Also eagerly awaiting responses from those with composting experience

Nigel
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
I have an Air Head and it is one of THE BEST things on my boat. No holding tank, no sewage lines to permeate , no valves to seize, no sea water stewing with micro organisms to stick up the boat, no vent on the side of the boat to have to smell when down wind of the vent, no joker valve to fail in the middle of the night, no small self contained "port a potty with limited holding capacity, no oder. What am I missing?
We have had seven cruises and had up to 4 on board numbers days. Six months has gone by and it is still not ready to empty (aside from the liquid tank).
My wife and I would never have a holding tank in our future... Life is too short to clean up a mess in the middle of the night, when on extended cruises.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see these discussions on boat forums and RV forums, and one thing is consistent in all of them. Those who have composting toilets seem to have highly favorable opinions of them, and those who do not have one can't seem to imagine why anyone would want such a thing and find the whole idea disgusting.
But dealing with poop IS disgusting, and if you have a cruising boat or an RV then you have to deal with poop, one way or another.

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If just alone or with the guys, I'm with Nigel on the 5 gal bucket with the Gama Lid, but instead of sawdust I use peat moss. Double bag the bucket, a base of peat moss, and then a light covering with peat moss (kept in a smaller separate bucket pre-compressed), seal the lid - no fuss no muss! Can go for many weeks before needed to pull out the inner bag, tie off, and dispose in regular trash which is legal in all the States I've operated in. The big thing is you MUST keep the urine separate from the fecal matter!

Unfortunately a woman I know who will remain nameless but is probably not unique in this regard, doesn't quite have the ability to keep things separate and considers that "gross" so the porta-potti is the way to go with her along. So far the limited capacity has been fine for all the days we've been out, but have cut it pretty close and I have had horrible thoughts of what would happen if it over flowed. Sad For longer than 4 nights, I will bring the bucket along too.

Regarding AirHead composting toilets. We did have the occasion to raft up with some folks with one and unfortunately the smells from the top vent where wafting into our cockpit when the breeze was just right, and was a bit unbearable at times. Probably would have been better to raft on the opposite side of the vent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: