The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

composting toilet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and BTW , your a fun guy to go "head to head" with .
You can really "pump em out".
Marc

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayes1068 wrote:
Thanks Charlie, I thought the composting type of pottie might be intended for the bigger boats, but, wanted to check for sure. Very Happy Jim

Jim, I think it's intended for anywhere it might fit but the design is such that it's just too high for that space. Now, if you wanted to build a little Gazebo over your front hatch and don't mind your head up in the "fresh air", it might be ideal... Rolling Eyes

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you boys say "scatological"? Laughing
Definitions of scatological on the Web:
* dealing pruriently with excrement and excretory functions; "scatological literature"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* In medicine and biology, scatology or coprology is the study of faeces. Scatological studies allow one to determine a wide range of biological information about a creature, including its diet (and thus where it has been), healthiness, and diseases such as tapeworms. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatological

* related to the research area of scatology, the particulate study of biological excrement, feces or dung; an interest in obscenity or things considered obscene, particularly literature
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scatological

Wefings wrote:
And you , are #2 . Naturally. I almost pooped a hose clamp when I read that . Nearly fell off my stool .
Marc

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE is something that we all may need!

Charlie
Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is an outboard version of this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7929191/Bio-Bug-Car-run-on-human-waste-is-launched.html

Pete in NY
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like this might work if the plumbing could be worked out.... Oh, and don't forget to Moon

jhayes1068

City/Region: Farmersburg
State or Province: IN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see from the last few post: the first comedian doesn't stand a chance, and I'm so confused about potti or no-potti that I might just hold everything in for 5 days and watch the explosion!!! Very Happy Is it time to change the subject yet??? Thanks, Jim
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a plumber that you to say....."it may be sxxx to you, but to me it is bread and butter".
C-Brat #16
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Theory of plumbing Reply with quote

Theory of plumbing: If the outflow don't equal the inflow, the upshot will be an outblow Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bill j

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those of you who have had time to experience the airhead toilets, what is the verdict? Has anyone had problems and switched back to the flush toilet with macerator and holding tank? Am considering which toilet system to have installed in a new boat and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - bill j
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: composting toilet Reply with quote

I use a porty potty, but friends are Tugnuts and have a composting toliet. It's like the guys baby, I would never use it. Guests have to get the instructions of flipping the liquid diverter to prevent the urine from getting on the compost pile. I'm mean don't people sometimes do a one and a #2 at the same time hows that work? Anyway I have heard discussions after strangers used their composting toliet and wondered what they would say if I ever really abused it. Porta Potty users are like plumbers, you only need to know two things, pay day is on Friday and don't chew your finger nails. Pat's boat leaves bubble trails. Beer Beer Beer Thumbs Up
D.D.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill j wrote:
To those of you who have had time to experience the airhead toilets, what is the verdict? Has anyone had problems and switched back to the flush toilet with macerator and holding tank? Am considering which toilet system to have installed in a new boat and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - bill j

I think if you read all the comments by Pat (Daydream) over the past few years on his Airhead, you'll get a two thumbs up endorsement of the Airhead.

It may not be perfect, but it seems simpler and usually a better alternative to a pump out system.

I don't recall anyone removing an Airhead, but David (Anna Leigh) recently removed his factory installed pump out system to replace it with an upscale Porta Potti one.

Hope this helps until they can comment.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all sincerity, This is a really deep topic, and a unnecessary and functional one too. I would really like to install an Airhead on my 22. It seems like that would be the best solution to long term, remote, and sanitary cruising. Wonder if there are any others in the 22 size bracket that have thought about doing the same, and what their pros and cons have been? Where on the 22 Cruiser would you place it? I have thought that maybe (hang on here) under the galley table, port side might work. The table would need to be modified to fold or swing out of the way, and there is storage space below that could be "lost" if needed. Not the most convenient, but there is going to be some space requirement to be met, and V-birth does not seem like a good option in that regard.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
jep111

City/Region: Carmichael
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mas Que NADA
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offering up another choice...

Both of my Bertrams have Lectra-Sans, which use salt water (or a salt tank) and electricity to kill all of the biologic components of waste and sterilize the output. The result is pumpable overboard legally almost everywhere, although in my boats the effluent goes to a holding tank for pumpout unless I am far offshore. Raritan makes a variety of Type 1 MSDs. With the holding tank I have what they now call a Hold-n-Treat system (mine are both from the late 70's when their only product was the Lectra-San. Have only had to replace the electrodes in one of the two units, so I'd say they have been pretty reliable for salt-water only devices).

I don't know how much room is available on your boats, so I don't know if it's an option (my C-Dory is only a 16). But I'm very happy with my toilet system, and I'm happy that the waste is sterilized. Lot less stink...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A permanent head on a CD-22 is a real problem to install because of the space issue.

We saw a custom CD-22 being built at the factory 4-5 years ago with a head compartment built built on the starboard side behind the helm where the galley ordinarily goes.

There was also one for sale here within the past few weeks with a similar set up.

Tough choice! Head or galley!!!

Complex systems that pump overboard, with or without treatment, are just that, and can become unpleasant nightmares when they go haywire. And their placement down in the bowels of the boat, exacerbates the problems!

Many have concluded that the simple Porta Potti, or even a disposable bag system, is preferable to some of the alternatives.

The Airhead, it would seem, becomes a viable alternative, once a commitment can be made for an available space.

Can't see giving up the galley for it, though, and don't think it'll fit under the dinette.

Back to square one, I guess!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: