The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

composting toilet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now own the 25' CS Marc Grove used to rent. An advantage of the Air Head is obvious when you boat on rivers and lakes with no pumpout facilities like we often do. The Air Head on this boat seems to be original equipment since I can find no evidence of a patched through-hull. I think that neither toilet arrangement is worth the stuff it's supposed to contain, but they're both better than porta-potties. You might get in touch with Marc for more info, I think he has installed them on Rangers too.
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all it great to associated with toilets .But I guess its better than no association at all !
The Airhead is simple , effective and even in the deep humid south works just fine . The coffee filters are not for solid/liquid separation [good old gravity does that], just for making a clean transfer into the magic composting portion of the unit.
They are called "carriers" .Solar is great on any boat and will easily replace the power that the 24/7 fan uses and more.
Ill take the computer fan replacement job over the macerator replacement or hose replacement job any day!As a bonus ,the constant negative pressure in the cabin keeps the mold down and things drier . Pumping out every 9 gallons seems like a PITA to me . Going 6 Mos. to a year for a average couple or a month of constant use sounds pretty good . With very little planning you can never worry about the pumpout , and the liquid dumpout can be done in any restroom if you are in a place you cant simply go out the cabin door . There are many more restrooms than pumpouts .
As to replacement units, many of the 25s and Tomcats have the Sealand Porta Potti on steroids like Jim's. Its self contained except for the macerator plumbing and water supply . The tank is above deck . No major surgery required, pretty much an out patient procedure on alot of them .
Jeff , the owner of Airhead , has made a few improvements over the years and the new units are pretty spiffy now . I would certainly use them in Ranger Tugs IF I could get the factory to use the extra freed up tankage for water or fuel . When the right customer comes along Ill lobby for that . I am working with a watermaker guy here locally [intriguing stuff] so the extra fuel would be my vote for the extra tank .

The original mid 90s 25 Cruise ships had regular porta pottis .
We installed the airhead,the shower sump and floor ,the water heater, the extra flexi tank for the shower and the new electrical system on the 'Tide"
Marc

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Marc said most of what I would have said in reply to Jim. As to extended cruising, Daydream was out five weeks on the Alaska cruise with three people aboard, and the Airhead handled that just great. It really does seem like magic the way it keeps reducing in the solids container. As Marc said the coffee filter has nothing to do with liquid/solids separation, that is handled by the design, where liquids go forward, solids go straight down. The solids container really does get emptied just once a year on our boat.

As to dumping liquid overboard, I probably would not want to argue with an overzealous park ranger but urine really is a sterile liquid, and would not, from a scientific standpoint, violate a "no discharge" rule. Here is the Wikipedia entry for "Urine."

Urine

Urine is a sterile, liquid by-product of the body that is secreted by the kidneys through a process called urination and excreted through the urethra. Cellular metabolism generates numerous by-products, many rich in nitrogen, that require elimination from the bloodstream. These by-products are eventually expelled from the body in a process known as micturition, the primary method for excreting water-soluble chemicals from the body. These chemicals can be detected and analyzed by urinalysis. Amniotic fluid is closely related to urine, and can be analyzed by amniocentesis.

The Airhead tank capacity for urine is probably three-four days, longer if the guy pees overboard! That isn't illegal, is it Jim? We have not cruised on those lakes, but would not hesitate to do so, we could always take the tank ashore to empty I suppose, it is easy to remove and has a cap. And urine really is just water, all the pollutants are in the solids, not that I am advocating it, but if you were stranded in the desert or some remote mountain pass, you could drink it if you had to.

Correct on the fact that there is some odor emanating from the exhaust vent. But it is barely detectable, and nobody at any of the CBGTs has ever even turned a head walking by or boat! We are starting to have some interior "issues" which I think might be related to losing a good seal between solids container and exhaust hose, I have to work on that I think. I wonder if that is one of the parts that Geoff Trott has improved?

Anyway, I agree with Jim, whatever floats your boat, I would not have a problem with a fresh water flush tank-under marine head, it is just the seawater flush with long shxx hose runs to the big holding tank that have been problematic, and if you like yours, more power to you. Composting heads are however a legitimate option, and I just take exception to people who know nothing about them dismissing them out of hand.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

stlof

City/Region: Birmingham, AL
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Photos: C-Tide
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See there, Marc knows his s--t.

Allen & Genie, C-Tide
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting a PM from my buddy, Pat, I just want to publicly clarify that I am not putting down anyone's choice of potty. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, it is your constitutional (get it? Wink ) right to poop in the container of your choice. After decades of using RV and boat potties, going to a dump station or pump out is just part of the process. But, by golly, I will support to the death your right to have a porta-potty, AirHead, vacu-flush, or SeaLand fresh water flush. 'Cause if you don't poop, you will eventually explode, and that won't be good for you or the resale of your boat.

Just let me say, again publicly, if you (and that's the "royal" you, not directed at anyone in particular) think your s**t don't stink, then you have never pooped in a small boat. How anyone handles it is a personal choice. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to... unless you dump it overboard after each "session", we all carry a bit of poo around. If the system you use works, then that's what you should stay with. I don't think my crapper is better than your crapper, and I completely understand that each system has its pros and cons. This isn't like dissing West Texas or saying GM is better than Dodge... this is some serious s**t we're talking about here! Twisted Evil

And as I told my buddy Pat - give your particular potty a hug from us and take one for yourself.

Best wishes,
Jim

moabarch

City/Region: Moab
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Opus
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after reading all this, I've certainly been entertained and even learned a few things......but I will deny to the end that my s***t stinks. It can't, or my wife would have mentioned it long ago.

As to the logic of doing an entire retrofit, well, I agree that perhaps the logic may not quite be there, but we have experience with composting toilets and simply prefer that over the pumping procedure which won't always be convenient where we are. Perhaps it is too much trouble, too much money, but at least now I have a little more information to go on thanks to you guys!

thanks

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple minded redneck sitting at a bar enjoying a mug or 3 of beer.
An highly educated engineer from not around here comes in and continues to talk and be a master of all things in conversation.
So, the redneck politely as possible asks him.... Sir, would you mind answering a few questions for me please. The engineer spouts proudly.... I will gladly answer your questions and inform you.
First question from the redneck: Why when a cows eat grass in a field they will $hit in big ol piles?
Answer #1: I do not know.
Second question from the redneck: Why when rabbits eating the same grass in the same field and they $hit in little round balls?
Answer#2: I do not know....
Third questions from redneck: Why then, do horses eat the same grass in the same fields as the cow and the rabbit they $hit big ol tennis ball size piles?
Final answer from engineer: Why I have no idea....but, why do you ask these questions of me...?
The redneck then politely responds.....Sir... You just had me wondering how you can talk so much when you do not know $hit?

I am just saying... with a big ol grin.
Mr. Green Beer
Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
jhayes1068

City/Region: Farmersburg
State or Province: IN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading everything in this thread: 1. I'm about ready to have someone carry me to the hospital to see if there's any way to get me to stop laughing!! 2. Is there a composting type of pottie that will fit under the v-berth of a CD-19?? Very Happy Thanks, Jim
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you rednecks would stop picking on us engineers... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

And No Jim, I don't think any type of composting potty will fit under something that low. Now, a regular portapotti will turn into a composting potty if you just let it sit long enough. I will guarandamtee you though that it WILL stink... Cry

See Byrdman, some of us engineers DO know $hit....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a woman who was rather old-fashioned, delicate, and elegant-especially in her language-was planning a week's vacation in nashville, tn. so she wrote a particular campground and asked for a reservation. she wanted to make sure the campground was fully equipped, but didn't quite know how to ask about toilet facilaties. after much deliberation she finally came up with the old-fashioned term 'bathroom commode', but when she wrote that down, she still thought she was being too forward. so, she started all over and rewrote the letter and referred to the bathroom commode merely as the B.C. does your campground have it's own B.C.? is what she actually wrote.
well, the campground owner wasn't old-fashion at all and when he got the letter, he just couldn't figure out what the woman was talking about. that B.C. business really stumped him.
after worrying about it for a while, the campground owner, finally came to the conclusion that the lady must be asking about the local baptist church, so he wrote the following reply,
dear madam,
i regret very much for the delay in answering your letter. i now take the pleasure in informing you that a B.C. is located nine miles north of our campground and is capable of seating 250 people at one time. i admit it is quite a distance away if you are in the habit of going regularly, but no doubt you will be please to know that a great number of people usually take their lunches along and make a day of it. they usually arrive early and stay late. the last time my wife and i went was six years ago and it was so crowded, we had to stand up the whole time we were there. it may interest you to know that now, there is a supper being planned to raise money to buy more seats. they're going to hold it in the basement of the B.C. i would like to say it pains me very much not to be able to go more regularly but it is sure no lack of desire on my part. as we grow older, it seems to be more of an effort, particularly in cold weather. if you decide to come to our campground, perhaps i could go with you the first time you go, sit with you, and introduce you to all the other folks. remember, this is a friendly community.
pat
jhayes1068

City/Region: Farmersburg
State or Province: IN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie, I thought the composting type of pottie might be intended for the bigger boats, but, wanted to check for sure. Very Happy Jim
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim , not having to dump sterile liquids for fear of park rangers repeediation is a "piss poor" reason not to go green .I just had to relieve myself of that thought . But I digest......

I am working on an automated composting toilet . It powered by trained dung beetles rotating a "hamster type" wheel that drive the fan and in "turn" cogenerates a dynamo which charges the boats batteries which energizes the hydroponic system circulation pump that distributes the nutrients for the mini "camperback" greenhouse which in turn grows the high fiber foods needed for the " human floaters, or cruisers" to consume to create the s**t which powers the dung beetles and allows the .................Wait, I have finally created the perpetual "movement" machine !

Marc
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Jim...with the 19.... that Jim. Now, there is the PETT Wag-Bag system that is a sorta-kinda portable option to a compost head. Have used them on my boat and other smaller cruising boats for years. No head to clean out, just use and toss with other garbage.

And to think some folks do not even know this site is operational.

Byrdman
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Jim , not having to dump sterile liquids for fear of park rangers repeediation is a "piss poor" reason not to go green .I just had to relieve myself of that thought . But I digest......

I am working on an automated composting toilet . It powered by trained dung beetles rotating a "hamster type" wheel that drive the fan and in "turn" cogenerates a dynamo which charges the boats batteries which energizes the hydroponic system circulation pump that distributes the nutrients for the mini "camperback" greenhouse which in turn grows the high fiber foods needed for the " human floaters, or cruisers" to consume to create the s**t which powers the dung beetles and allows the .................Wait, I have finally created the perpetual "movement" machine !

Marc

OK, Grove, you made a fun post... in fact, on a scale of one to ten, you're an eight. I can see that you are a whiz at this sort of thing. I considered taking this off-line by sending you a BM, um PM, butt I didn't have time for the paperwork. What do you say we just flush this whole discussion so we don't impeed on our friendship? Shall we shake on it?

BTW, your crappy invention sounds like a real pisser. I can't wait for it to drop. As always, you are #1 in my book!

Cool Mr. Green

Your pal,
Jim
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you , are #2 . Naturally. I almost pooped a hose clamp when I read that . Nearly fell off my stool .
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: