The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

19', C-Dory or other help!! we're new and ignorant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: 19', C-Dory or other help!! we're new and ignorant Reply with quote

We just moved to Whidbey island Washington from the Colorado mountains and are looking for a boat. We want to cruise mainly-through the San Juans and to Vancouver Island, some but secondary fishing. Just my wife and me, retired old but not feeble. Not entirely new to boating I grew up on the So. Cal coast and can recall taking a 12'8" Aristocraft with a Johnson 35, hand held compass, spare 5 gal of gas and my girlfriend to Catalina when i was 17 and immortal. Most of the stupids are out of my system (not according to my wife though! Laughing

We like C-Dory, saw them at the Seattle boat show along with Arima, Trophy and Grady-White, but don't know much. the deep Vee folks talk about the better ride, the C-Dory folks talk about other things. We need advice.

Is a 19' big enough for what we want to do? We would love a 22' but can't afford it. Any boat we get will be used. We'd like to get out on the water to feel the chop for ourselves, will dealers Cornet Bay for example, work that out?

Etc. Etc.

We'd appreciate any information offered.

Barry and Patti Daniel
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, you live in the right place. Thumbs Up Go see Les at EQ Marine at the north end of Whidbey. He is THE guy CoolSmile . You stated that you are not currently an expert Embarrased . If you spend enough time with Les you will be an expert Disgust . He has C-Dorys dialed Love . I live in Northern CA. I will probably travel the 800 miles to get my C-Dory from him if I can ever afford a new one Wink .

There is a big difference between the 16-19. There is also a big difference between the 19-22. I would try for a used 22 if possible. There is a used 22 available in southern Ore. You can check it out on the C-Dogs page. IMHO it is a little overpriced for its age Angry . Also there are at least 3 very nice 22's available in the Seattle area currently. However, fortunately Very Happy or unfortunately Sad , depending on your view, they are priced very close to what it would cost for a new one.

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 19', C-Dory or other help!! we're new and ignorant Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
We just moved to Whidbey island Washington

We like C-Dory, saw them at the Seattle boat show along with Arima, Trophy and Grady-White, but don't know much. the deep Vee folks talk about the better ride, the C-Dory folks talk about other things. We need advice.
Barry and Patti Daniel

Barry and Patti,
You are in luck! How fortunate you moved to Whidbey Island as Les at EQ Marine at Cornet Bay is very near you. Since he sells Arima as well as C-Dory he can answer all your questions about both of them and I am sure he can answer a few questions about Trophy and Grady White as well. He is an extremely fair and thoughtful individual and has a lot of experience to draw upon! (ie: He'll give you the "straight honest scoop").

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you goop up a new C-Dory 22 with what these boats have (we are the owners of one of them), you will see that our used 2003s, well equipped, are about $10,000 below a new boat comparably equipped...

Sam Walker wrote:
Also there are at least 3 very nice 22's available in the Seattle area currently. However, fortunately Very Happy or unfortunately Sad , depending on your view, they are priced very close to what it would cost for a new one.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

We live in Oak harbor, not far from Cornet Bay and will go up there soon. Now if i could only win the lottery!!
Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Used Boats Reply with quote

I agree with you Sam on that boat in oregon, Overpriced for it's condition, but the guy said he's in no hurry and will wait for full price. The 3 2003's are more in line and are fully outfitted, but are close to the boat show price. Sometimes I think half the fun is setting it up the way you want it ,though I'm not sure if my wallet agrees.It's a hard call between buying new and used, I am in the same position right now. Went to the boat show got priced out on a new boat ( both C dory and Arima) And have been since looking at used boats of the same makes, trying to decide which boat and new or used. Heres what I've come up with. First of all I think most owners who are selling always lean towards the high side, ($) this is for two reasons. One they know most people are going to try to talk them down and by starting with a higher asking price, gives them more room to go down, seeming like a better deal. Second they paid for the boat new and all the extras new, so when they think of value they tend to think along the lines of what was paid for an item. In my experience if it's a really good deal it dosen't last more than a day or two, alot of people are always looking especially for boats such as C dory's and Arima's Now that being said a boat is a losing money proposition anyway. You never get what you put into them especially if bought new. Something to think about when the tables turn and you are selling. Just like a brand new car the moment you drive it off the lot. New boats lose value quicker at first then seem to level out after a couple years. And people see value in different things, example. I looked at a 99 used arima hard top this weekend. It was a nice boat and the owner had spent some money on outfitting it. But certain things were not worth much to me, like the fact that he had two fishfinder/gps units and a stand alone gps unit all installed on the dash. Overkill for my needs, and I didn't want to pay for 3 gps units($5000), especially when even 6 months is almost outdated technology. Electronics lose value pretty quickly. Or the heater he had installed, I'm sure it cost him some dough but the way it was installed scared me so its value to me was nothing. Then the warranty factor comes into play. To know your boat and engine will be taken care if any problems arise, is really comforting. The key is to know what your willing to pay and don't be in a hurry!! Many people have ended up paying too much in the excitement of owning a new boat. Good luck

Sark
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and disagree with some of the above post... I would not look for any used 19' C-Dory any time soon...They just started making them again...but some of them may be moving up after the show. I would like to also "build my own system...", but like my current boat, when the top of the line stuff is installed by one of the best in the industry, that is hard to beat. I agree with good equipment installed improperly...means you would have to spend time and or money, taking out, repairing what was wrong, and re-installing properly. I got laughed at when I told 3 of my friends what I was "investing" in a used 16' little hartop boat... Yep, the 16' cruiser. Then, once I sold it (and wish I had kept it as a 2nd boat), "loosing" $300 dollars for 2+ years of enjoyment.....I got the last and loudest laugh...due to me looking at their "stock investments..."... and they only got to enjoy the ride down... Back when Volvo only had the 240 design Volvo, a good used Volvo about 2-4 years old with "average wear and tear"... would also go for about what was paid for it new...due to the inflation rate...and like C-Dory... they held their value, looked the same each year (basically)...they were tuff, great rides... I know several folks who would put down "finders fee" at a Volvo dealership to get "1st buyers rights"...on a clean one...just to hold it for a day or two to be able to check it out. That excitement today exist with used C-Dory's... So study up, GO LOOK at them and how they have been maintained and things put on them....and have your cash ready!! Good Luck
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm confused with the prices on these 3 used 22 footers as well. I understand that C-dory's hold their price pretty well but come on over 200 hours on an egine? 2 years of the warranty used already. These prices seem very close to retail which makes me wonder why I would pay used? Maybe it would help if the options that the boats have could include what it costs for those. What's the list price on a new c-dory 22 cruiser? I know that the 19' is 25,000 then add the motors and trailer so if the 22 costs 30,000 it seems like for another 15,000 I could easily outfit the boat and be at 45,000 which is what the used ones are going for. I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere near retail on a boat no matter what brand it is. Maybe I'm missing somethin?
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great nich boat is what you are missing. These are not blow-n-go boats.
Spend some time with a West Marine cataloge, or any other marine cataloge, and shop the electronics that most of these boats have on them, to include the batteries, wireing, breakers,,....anchors, windless w/chain, rope.... Then, take a look at some of the "indivudual custom made" items on some of the newer used 22' boats... Then, talk with the owners about insurance, and you will find about 95% of us pay for the "replacement cost..".. There is a good reason for that... These boats simply do not depreciate like "normal" boats. It cost me $300 to run the one I sold for 2 1/2 years, and an additional 300 hours on the motor, which put total motor hours right at 500. 200 hours is no hours on a 4 stroke... just 2 oil changes. Do a little more research... and you can also find similar "threads" on the C-Dog site.. Good luck... and hopefully you'll join us as a owner soon.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere near retail on a boat no matter what brand it is. Maybe I'm missing somethin?
Think Harley Davidson. Then also consider if you did buy new, you would have a 4 month wait unless you bought something the dealer had ordered many months ago.

If you're in to instant gratification, grab it now. It's rare that you even have a choice of more than one used late model C-22 in known good condition.

If you're willing to wait, you get the pleasure of tricking it out to your personal likes and dislikes. In my case, I absolutely had to have a "High Top." It cost me the 4 month wait but it was well worth it.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Flapbreaker,

When these loaded 22's go out the dealer door with a full bag of top-of-the-line-gear, depending on the individual boat, your are looking in the high 50s -- and some well into the 60s. A lot of custom work involved... and I don't have a clue on any of the three that are being moved because their owners are going to 25s. Their prices look very fair to me...

Duster

Kaizen

City/Region: Boise, Idaho
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Very Glad to be here! Reply with quote

Hello everybody! Very glad to be here joining one of the most animated groups I've seen in quite a while. Not an owner yet...but after having a great chat with Jeff over at Auburn C-Dory, I'm zonked over the boat.
Although I still have a few questions I'm sure you folks will have the answers... I really appreciate all your insights and experience concerning
boating and CDorys in particular.

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawdust wrote:
Mr. Flapbreaker,

When these loaded 22's go out the dealer door with a full bag of top-of-the-line-gear, depending on the individual boat, your are looking in the high 50s -- and some well into the 60s. A lot of custom work involved... and I don't have a clue on any of the three that are being moved because their owners are going to 25s. Their prices look very fair to me...

Duster

I agree with Duster -- If you just add up retail pricing on a 22' CD that is well equipped you wind up at $50-55k. Mine came in at about $55k new 3 years ago with the boat show discount. That cost includes (current retail pricing given, otherwise a guess of what I paid) --

Hull 29,950
Shore power w/charger 895
Anchor deck pipe 146
Wallas 2,250
Electric Wiper (2) 284
Norcold 12/120V 995
Extra lights (galley,
Table, 2 in v-berth) 600
Side mount ladder 260
Convert icebox to drawers 500 (guestimate)
Extra shelve under galley 200 (guestimate)
Twin Honda 40 power 13,000 (rough pricing installed)
Anchors (2+chain and rode) $200 (these were cheap anchors)
Coast guard kit $150
Fire extinguisher $60
Lines $150
Dri-deck (25 pieces) $125

Garmin GPS $600 ($150 for the chip alone)
Fixed mount VHS $225
Antenna $80
Depth Sounder (forward looking $1000
Trailer $2000 (guestimate)
Convert lazerette to fish box ??
Extra 120V outlet 100?
Extra 12V outlets 100?
Scottie Down riggers
and rod holders, swivel bases $1000 installed (roughly)
Camper back $1000+ (I forget)

plus a few things that I'm sure I forgot. Bottom line, by the time you add it all up, pay for the wiring and rigging, etc. $55,000 is an easy number to hit. The three 22' CD that are for sale on this site currently are exceptionally well cared for and have had some custom modifications that can't be found elsewhere (I was VERY impressed with the Anna Leigh and would trade my boat for it in a minute). My CD was my first ever boat purchase (3 years ago). Knowing what I know now and knowing how long it takes to get a boat set up "just right" - I wish I had bought a good used one from someone who knew what they were doing and who had plenty of hours of experience on the water "tweaking" the interior and exterior for maximum utility.

I also ordered mine in Jan (at the SBS) and had to wait until June to take delivery. I'd be willing to be that the three 22'CD's on this site right now, get what they ask for and don't stick around for too long (especially as it starts warming up outside)..

Roger on the SeaDNA

Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat=$30,000
Motors=$12,000
Trailer=$3,000

Thats $45,000 before you even add a VHF. These boats have many extras including camper back. 200 hours on a 4 stroke is just broke in. As long as the boat is taken care of a two year old C-Dory at the numbers that are being asked is very fair.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Didn't mean to to offend anyone for their asking price. I still don't see why just because it's a C-dory why all the other equipement should retain such a high value. I'll eccept that the boat it'self might hold near retail value but nothing else should. Just my opinion. Oh by the way 2 40hp honda's don't cost $12,000. I found them for $4,100 each online.

boat $30,000
engines $8,200
Trailer $3,000 (seems inflated for such a light boat but i'll assume you bought the top of the line or something?)

Total. 41200.00 plus I still have almost 4k to outfit the way I want. And full warranty. So I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. Some upgrades are only upgrades to those who wanted them in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: