City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagold,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a pretty cool feature. Not sure if it would be used enough to justify the expense. Thanks again for the explanation.

Scott
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned tows, and they are extremely dangerous, with MARPA if you track two targets you suspect are a tug and barge you can, over time figure it out, same course, same speed, same rate of relative closing distance between them and you doesn't change -- that's a tug and tow and you know not to get between them.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARPA is not a new capability -- without the "M", the ARPA system has been used in military and commercial vessels for years. I've used it extensively in big ships -- and whether it's worth it to you depends on where/how you boat. If there is fog in the Pacific NW it will be centered in Deception Pass, where I boat. It is really comforting, particularly if you have multiple targets that look like threats, to know what each one of those guys is doing. Because we slow down in the fog, well I do, your 6 oclock becomes a threat area, and MARPA is great to plot overtaking targets. Not cheap, but sure worth it to me.

Dusty

Last edited by Sawdust on Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have the total Raymarine package that Dusty and Les put together on my TomCat... The down side is that I have just gotten the chip for Lake Martin, AL and have just started playing with it. Travel and work have kept me from the water too much..... and the button punch routine is different than my Garmin 76S hand held that I have used for a few years... In the learning curve mode now...but a few trips to the lake with the books open will help... and finding a "local" with Raymarine system knowledge is just not available...but then...I have not met the new manager of the West Marine store here in Montgomery, AL... He might be able to use my system to "keep his skill level up.." Now, up home in Mt. Juliet/Nashville TN with the barge traffic at night... it sure would help on the radio to be able to ID their course/speed and find out where they want my vessel to go...
Byrdman
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Pat and others selecting electronics. Confused

Since the cartography of Garmin, Navionics, and C-Map, are all more than adequate for the navigational tasks at hand, I would focus on the hardware question. Neutral

Each piece of hardware has it's own intuitive characteristics. Some are easier to operate (without the manual) than others. Play with each Manufacturers system and decide which will be easier for you to learn. Try performing routine tasks while checking to see if the process makes sense to you. You will find some to be easier to master than the others; that's why we have so many first-class manufacturers competing head-to-head.

Good luck with your search (it's a fun job). CoolSmile

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
flagold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Since I plan on a Mississippi trip, I thought I'd be well served to have that feature. I've flown the length of the Mississippi and it can be quite active in all conditions.

If you want to fly the river, here's a windows movie (Mississippi is last 1/3) that will challenge your dialup (no problem for cable, etc.) if you're on a slow (2Cool connection:

http://golddredgervideo.com/matt/ferry.wmv
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Target on Jerry/IRA... I know I learn slow,, but one of the stumbling blocks for me is my mind wants to do Garmin due to years of use...and my boat is Raymarine... but... I operate my wifes car different than my Excursion too... so, just a bit of learning curve for me now that I have my chip.
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat, sorry about the delayed response. I just got back in town from a trip to Canada. I have company from Ireland staying with us at the moment. I'll gather info on my system and get back to you probably tomorrow. The GPS/Radar overlay is the only way to go. When the going gets tough you want to be able to gather info as quickly as possible, overlay allows this. For gps backup get a handheld for $150. This line about not having all your eggs in one basket is nonsense. I'm betting 20 years from now you won't even be able to buy a non-integrated system.
flagold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does mounting the radome right behind the anchor light mast degrade reception that anyone has noticed? I have a plastic light mast I could use in place of the stainless mast that came with the boat if that is the case. If I mount it as far forward as I can (hight top) it is going to be right behind the light mast. Thanks!
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Larry - will look for your info. Looking at Broken Leg Dave or Git Yer Feet Wet or whatever it is without knowing the specifics on all the other stuff that you need besides the model of the main unit (I can remember "C80") is tough.

Helen O wrote:
Hey Pat, sorry about the delayed response. I just got back in town from a trip to Canada. I have company from Ireland staying with us at the moment. I'll gather info on my system and get back to you probably tomorrow. The GPS/Radar overlay is the only way to go. When the going gets tough you want to be able to gather info as quickly as possible, overlay allows this. For gps backup get a handheld for $150. This line about not having all your eggs in one basket is nonsense. I'm betting 20 years from now you won't even be able to buy a non-integrated system.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked. Mine is a Raymarine RL70C system with ST-5000 autopilot.

Flagold, the radome mounted right behind the anchorlight does not affect it at all. The radome shoots around it like it's not even there.
flagold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- after going through the albums and looking at all the setups I got the feeling that was the case.

Thanks again.

Matt
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat -

Congrats on your upcoming new addition! While we did actually go the boat show twice, and I even got Linda on the 25 for a few minutes, it looks like Two Lucky Fish will stay at 22 feet for a while longer...

We have the full Raymarine C-80 system (radar/depth/chart/autopilot) integrated system installed with th Navionics gold chip of Puget Sound. You are more than welcome to come take a look - and a test "drive" (I'll cover the windows if you want). We did make it back from Sequim - in the fog for several hours - almost all the way back to South Whidbey. (Two Lucky Fish should be back in the water in the next couple of days - salmon season opens again Feb 1st! here)

Mac & Linda
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: new 22 for terraplane Reply with quote

I've oredered a 22' cdory from Cutter, on Chesapeake Bay, just across the bay from my house...
Part of their recommended package is the Garmin 182 color GPS/Chart Plotter. If i decided later to add autopilot and radar, is this possible with the Garmin?
tom/terraplane
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I've got the 182C and a Raytheon B&W Radar/Chartplotter combination. They don't play together. I still like them. The 182C came first and I love it, the radar/chartplotter came next and I love that too. If one fails, I've got the other. Lots of schools of thought, go with something to start, within 3 years, it'll be obsolete and you can get the latest....

charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: