View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Garmin , Raymarine or ???? Reply with quote

HelenO wrote:

Since I got my integrated Raymarine electronics with autopilot and gps/radar overlay it's a piece of cake to go in the fog. I don't need to touch the steering wheel, just change course on the autopilot, it's very accurate.

OK, I stole the quote from the Autohelm thread, different but sort of related topic. I just ASSUMED we were getting Garmin for the new boat - we have a Garmin 188C, works great, the BlueChip/BlueChart system has great charts, the MapSource/BlueChart combo lets me do most of my plotting on a computer with a big screen, mouse and real keyboard and download to the GPS chartplotter, etc.

Then Larry says HE bought Raymarine...and it has integrated autopilot, which Garmin doesn't have (or does it?).

Like Larry formerly did, I FEAR fog, more than just about anything else except gale force winds I guess - had we boated from Anacortes to Sequim in October, I would have been petrified to leave Sequim Sunday morning, not sure of weather patterns, I might STILL be there (Jon, did the fog ever lift?)...there are worse things than being in Sequim, I know, but duty calls elsewhere.

So would you get Garmin, Raymarine, or something else if you were starting over on your complete electronics package? Relative strengths/weaknesses of the competing brands? Relative costs? (no cracks about the cost of relatives, please!)

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Not sure I want to tackle this thread because I'm too biased. The Raytheon system is absolutely great. The fog fears just melt away, and with the autopilot I'd just as soon boat in fog as CAVU. The MARPA part of Raytheon is certainly worth the price of admission. I've had lots of Garmin equipment in the past, and it's great -- and Furuno radars are equal to the Raytheon IMO - but the Raytheon integrated system is the way I"ve gone, and will go, until something much better comes down the pike. And -- duck, Dusty -- charts in the Raytheon are as good as they get... and with the gyro compass the pilot can hold a much better heading than I can in nasty water.

Pat, with any luck I should have the full system in and operating soon. My pleasure to spend a day or two in or out of the fog and let you see. "Hands on" is important, because even rich lawyers don't want to buy two or three of these systems Wink

Dusty
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And -- duck, Dusty -- charts in the Raytheon are as good as they get"

Until you get Garmin Bluechart. I have both on my boat. Side by side...no comparison. The Raymarine stuff is excellent, just wish they had not decided to use C-map...it just is not as good as Bluechart. Go look at them side by side...same area. Easy choice. Now if the integration is the most important factor...different story. Just don't end up with all your eggs in one basket...or on one screen!

Now I'm going to duck and put my Kevlar on!

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty:

As I understand it, if you buy a C-80 with the radome and gps antenna it will overlay the radar? Is there anything else to buy?

The plan is to keep the Humminbird Matrix 97 (which I absolutely love for it's full US coverage and great fishfinder) as the backup unit and use the C-80 for detail and radar.
Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, the fog never did lift that day.

Like Dusty says, "the fog fears just melt away" once you start using a radar. Very true! I also don't mind fishing in the fog, but there's one thing that really makes me nervous when it's foggy. TUGBOATS! Shocked

Sometimes they have their massive cable dragging on top of the water(pulling a barge) a long ways. So, beware of navigating between two dots on your radar screen.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat as you know i just got the raymarine full system. I cant say about the charts because les got has not sent then to me , should be in the mail monday. hes supplier shorted him on that one. i have only had the boat out one day and i loved the system. every thing talkes to every thing just fine. the auto pilot is great. and the marpsa system is also good . i am still working on getting it set and dialed in and being able to bring up the options i want when i want them. I think a intergraded system is the way to go and garmin has promised a system like that with there new radar, but they have postponed the release at lest twice so far. they say they want to get it right and i wander is they can at all. also there system looks to be 600 to 1200 dollars more then the raymarine that does it now. if you guys would like to take a look at mine out on the water in the next few weeks just let me know. in fact i am off monday.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Guess I'm on the wrong page -- my C80 Raynav uses Navionics Gold vector charts on compact flash cards... and I have compared, and to my tired old eyes they are both great. I agree Garmin Blues are beautiful. Used 'em and loved 'em. Guess I'm willing to accept the Nav Golds, which I consider equal to get the integrated system.

Dusty
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Naknek is outfitted with the integrated Raymarine system and it has met my every need. It wasn't until I spent a few days with Rana Verde, and Halcyon on Lake Powell that I became somewhat dissatisfied with C-Map cartography. Break Out Another Thousand... but that's another story.

Having said that, the MARPA feature is Fun, Fun, Fun! During the SE AK trip last summer we were in fairly heavy fog off Angoon, painting three inbound targets within two miles. I radioed the nearest vessel, calling his course, speed, and location. He replied and we confirmed intentions, and exchanged wx observations, etc. When he finally loomed into view the fishing vessel called to confirm that I was the "...big ass Yacht" he'd talked-to earlier. I asked if a "little yacht" would qualify. He laughed and wished me a good voyage. MARPA's Fun! Now if I can just get the Duster to teach me how to plot a targeting solution........heh, heh, heh.

Were I to do it all over again, I would Seriously look at the coming Garmin System, even if it meant waiting for a while longer. Garmin just doesn't make (any) bad stuff, and their integrated system may well be a new standard in the field.

Good Luck!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forget the question. To overlay the chart on the radar in the c80 I've been told that having the gyro compass helps a whole lot. I'll ask Les when he gets back from the SBS. The ability to overlay the two charts is a huge plus for the c80 and a feature I use constantly.

Dusty

flagold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's right (Dusty). From what I gather, I'll need the "Pathfinder Smart Heading Sensor" ($891) on the Ray page.

Simply using the Humminbird and not (ordering) tying in the DSM250 (sonar) and transducer for the C-80 paid for the Humminbird Matrix which means I'll use it for depth and have a backup (excellent) standalone GPS.

The C-80 for GPS/Radar overlays and backup of the Humminbird for GPS redundancy.

At least that's the plan at 3:08 today . . .
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want/need for a depthsounder. The Digital depthsounder 250 is the best I have used or seen. Not needed or even appreciated by most -- and even though it's beautiful, I really don't need it. Sure shows up the scales on my salmon.

Dusty
flagold

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moot, since the C-80 plan didn't last long once I got to West Marine. They have a C-70/2Kw Radome/hardware/mount kit package for $2199 and I simply added the GPS head & Pathfinder head to come up with a total integrated radar/chartplotter. I didn't order the through-hull depth and interface since I could almost buy two Matrix 97's for that.

At any rate, I now have radar/integrated GPS, depth/temp/speed etc., +GPS on the Matrix (exceptional bottom clarity).

Not right for everyone, but that's how I handled it.
Sawdust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Enjoy... even though I'm an ex Furuno dealer, I like the integration in the RayNav enough to use it... both are top of the line IMO.

Dusty
Lil Rascal

City/Region: Thousand Oaks
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Lil' rascal
Photos: Lil' rascal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody please explain the MARPA feature of the C80 system? Is a big deal not to get this feature with the Raymarine system? Thanks.

Scott
flagold

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty: from the Raymarine site:

MARPA Target Tracking and Collision Avoidance 

MARPA is an acronym for Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid. The primary purpose of MARPA is Collision Avoidance and target tracking. In a typical navigation scenario the captain activates the MARPA function and, uses the Radar's cursor to acquire a target. Next, the radar automatically monitors the selected target and provides vital information back to you regarding the selected target's CPA (Closest Point of Approach), TCPA (Time to Closest Point of Approach), the targets speed and the targets direction (it's course). In addition the MARPA function will qualify each target as Safe or Dangerous and sound an alarm if the target enters your safety zone.

Pathfinder Radars provide a graphical risk assessment of tracked targets and can track up to 10 MARPA targets simultaneously. On Raychart equipped Pathfinder Radars MARPA targets are overlaid directly on the electronic chart, keeping potentially dangerous targets in view during charting operations.

Punch Raymarine MARPA into the search engine and go to the Raymarine site for pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: